B450 and 3700x Compatibility

Hi all,

A two parter here so bare with me!

I'm currently running a B450 board from MSi(great board and runs everything I need it to, very happy). I've updated it to the most recent bios, would I be right in thinking that i can put a 3700x in there with no compatibility issues?

The second part of this comes from the need to upgrade to the 3700x, as much as I love tinkering with my computer, would the cost of upgrading be valid? I've got a 1660ti, which is fine for 1080p 60 as thats the monitor limitations I have at the minute. The thought of upgrading to the 3700x comes from wanting a 5700xt to try and push 1440p and above 60, or 1080p 120 or above. After looking at different benchmarks and finding that it runs the games I want to play better than the 2070. Would I be bottlenecked by the 2600? 

TL;DR Will my 2600 bottleneck a 5700xt, if it is a bottleneck will a 3700x be plug and play on an updated MSi B450 :)

Also if someone could throw some good monitor suggestions my way, that'd be awesome too!

1 minute ago, Bar_Jimmy said:

Will my 2600 bottleneck a 5700xt,

Nope.

will a 3700x be plug and play on an updated MSi B450 :)

With a bios update yes.

B450 board from MSi

Which board ? Brand is t quality and it never was. 

If you satisfied with the current performance just wait for zen 3. Msi promised to support it with a beta bios on their 400 series Boards.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

If the BIOS update for your specific board mentions Matisse compatibility (or 3000 series) then it should support the 3700x.  And it really depends on the games you play.  Some will be a CPU bottleneck, some will be a GPU bottleneck.  They will always exist, only difference is to what degree the bottleneck is impacting performance.  For what it's worth, a 2600 is still pretty good.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Nope.

With a bios update yes.

Which board ? Brand is t quality and it never was. 

If you satisfied with the current performance just wait for zen 3. Msi promised to support it with a beta bios on their 400 series Boards.

Wow that was quick! thanks a lot man!

Brilliant

I've updated to the most recent bios at the time (7C52v3x) 

And i'm pretty happy but i'm thinking of jumping to 1440p at some point or going above 120 hz

3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

If the BIOS update for your specific board mentions Matisse compatibility (or 3000 series) then it should support the 3700x.  And it really depends on the games you play.  Some will be a CPU bottleneck, some will be a GPU bottleneck.  They will always exist, only difference is to what degree the bottleneck is impacting performance.  For what it's worth, a 2600 is still pretty good.

I'm not 100000% percent sure it did, all I know is that its version 7C52v3x? at least that's what its called on the media i used to update it with!

I know there always will be I just want to make sure I'mat least moving in the right direction 

2 minutes ago, Bar_Jimmy said:

but i'm thinking of jumping to 1440p at some point or going above 120 hz

That would be less stress on your cpu and more on the GPU. 

Even if there was a Bottleneck ( which technically there is. But in this context there isn't ) it would be less of a Bottleneck with higher resolutions with the 2600. 

But what board exactly?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

I'm not 100000% percent sure it did, all I know is that its version 7C52v3x? at least that's what its called on the media i used to update it with!

I know there always will be I just want to make sure I'mat least moving in the right direction 

What BIOS version does it say in the BIOS screen?  Also which motherboard is this?

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

That would be less stress on your cpu and more on the GPU. 

Even if there was a Bottleneck ( which technically there is. But in this context there isn't ) it would be less of a Bottleneck with higher resolutions with the 2600. 

But what board exactly?

Fair enough, I can always upgrade at a later date when I get some more money together though and putting some more stress on the GPU for now isn't a major concern to me.

Its a  B450-A promax, the CPU-Z screen shot is below for everything. 

Capture.PNG

Just now, Bar_Jimmy said:

B450-A promax,

Perfectly good board. 4 50A phases for the cpu and will easily handle an 8 core. 

My answer still remains the same. If your satisfied right now and you can wait. Then wait for zen 3. 

Build Log: 

3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

What BIOS version does it say in the BIOS screen?  Also which motherboard is this?

I cant find it on the bios when I start up my pc, but CPU-Z says its 3.62 and it's dated the 06/10/20 as in the screen shot above

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

Perfectly good board. 4 50A phases for the cpu and will easily handle an 8 core. 

My answer still remains the same. If your satisfied right now and you can wait. Then wait for zen 3. 

Okay I got you dude! So grabbing a 5700xt and getting the Ryzen 3 chip down the line would be the best option for me (Just so im perfectly cleared up)

Wait for Zen 3 and get a 4700X when that drops

Just now, Bar_Jimmy said:

Okay I got you dude! So grabbing a 5700xt and getting the Ryzen 3 chip down the line would be the best option for me (Just so im perfectly cleared up)

Yes. Make sure to get a good cooler such as the Sapphire Nitro

9 minutes ago, Bar_Jimmy said:

7c?  Looking at the MSI page for your board it starts with 7B lol.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-A-PRO-MAX

Just now, Samfisher said:

7c

Either way this is a max board. Meaning it supports the AGESA code for zen 2 out of the box.

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Either way this is a max board. Meaning it supports the AGESA code for zen 2 out of the box.

Does the MAX series actually mean that?  Never known of such a range.  But the BIOS page does only have BIOS all the way back to July 2019, post Matisse launch so it could make sense.

Does the MAX series actually mean that? 

Yep.

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Yes. Make sure to get a good cooler such as the Sapphire Nitro

Brilliant, thanks mate will do!

Hm? that's weird I remember it being 7c? and I remember the date being the 6/12/2020? I've got their live update utility so I'll have a look there?

Either way, as @TofuHaroto has mentioned, it apparently comes with 3000 series support from the factory already so you should be good to go.

Either way, as @TofuHaroto has mentioned, it apparently comes with 3000 series support from the factory already so you should be good to go.

Happy days! I mean it seems to be running well and the 7c update (still not too sure but hey ho) seems to be working just fine and actually remedied the problems i was having with it inconsistently booting! I think @TofuHaroto is still correct though, im gonna grab a decent 5700xt and upgrade when the 4700x comes out as by then I'll either have enough for the current board when that comes out, or ill try it with my B450 and make sure to keep it all updated! Thanks so much for your helps guys.

13 minutes ago, Bar_Jimmy said:

Its a  B450-A promax

12 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

if you look in the cpu-z screenshot, it shows as the b450M-a pro max, which is actually quite bad and I wouldn't pair it with a 3700x.

2 minutes ago, Bar_Jimmy said:

I'll either have enough for the current board when that comes out, or ill try it with my B450 and make sure to keep it all updated! Thanks so much for your helps guys.

Isn't your current board a B450 too?  Or was there a typo :P

Just now, boggy77 said:

if you look in the cpu-z screenshot, it shows as the b450M-a pro max, which is actually quite bad and I wouldn't pair it with a 3700x.

How come? as the previous posters have mentioned it should have support for the 3700x, that and I'm not planning to overclock it too much as it'd make me really anxious  

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

if you look in the cpu-z screenshot, it shows as the b450M-a pro max

Oh yea didn't notice that. The M is significantly worse than the non m version. 

Good catch ;)

Build Log: