How does safe mode work?

afroman200033

So I’ve been having a lot of problem with my new monitor for the last few hours. I made another post about it but basically it doesn’t display the computer, it turns on for a milasecond and then it does nothing.

Anyways, I just started up my computer in safe mode and the monitor turned on... I have no idea what that means for my monitor and/or computer lmao 😂. Can someone help, I’m big noob on pc

Safe mode just loads no drivers/default drivers and is usually the bare minimum to be able to boot the system.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Safe mode runs only the bare essentials to give you a functioning system and forgoes auto-starting applications and extraneous devices+drivers.  It will also run "safe" settings like a lower resolution display output - things that are most likely to work rather than the utmost the hardware can handle.  This way, if one of those things is causing an issue, you can possibly troubleshoot and correct the issue.  With this in mind, it is likely the issue is Windows trying to output an unsupported resolution and/or refresh rate.  That or a graphics setting in the driver software is causing a crash or other inability to output properly.  In either case, resetting the display driver might help.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Safe mode runs only the bare essentials to give you a functioning system and forgoes auto-starting applications and extraneous devices+drivers.  It will also run "safe" settings like a lower resolution display output - things that are most likely to work rather than the utmost the hardware can handle.  This way, if one of those things is causing an issue, you can possibly troubleshoot and correct the issue.  With this in mind, it is likely the issue is Windows trying to output an unsupported resolution and/or refresh rate.

So do you think it’s the 240hz that isn’t supported? Cause I’m pretty sure my pc can handle it but not 100% sure. Or do you think it can be something else, I’m really not sure what the problem can be.  Ty for helping😄😅

3 minutes ago, afroman200033 said:

So do you think it’s the 240hz that isn’t supported? Cause I’m pretty sure my pc can handle it but not 100% sure. Or do you think it can be something else, I’m really not sure what the problem can be.  Ty for helping😄😅

Which monitor are you using and how is it plugged in?  It's possible the interface lacks the bandwidth to handle the resolution and framerate you've selected.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Which monitor are you using and how is it plugged in?  It's possible the interface lacks the bandwidth to handle the resolution and framerate you've selected.

I’m using the Acer nitro xv3 240hz monitor and I have tried to use both hdmi cable and display port. 

4 minutes ago, afroman200033 said:

I’m using the Acer nitro xv3 240hz monitor and I have tried to use both hdmi cable and display port. 

Hm that is quite high end, you said you are fairly sure your PC can handle it but what are you running, specifically for video card?

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm that is quite high end, you said you are fairly sure your PC can handle it but what are you running, specifically for video card?

Yeah I’m pretty sure, this is the pc I bought, I got it pre builtDE034DD6-C397-413E-B015-8DFAE2AA2528.thumb.png.1885ec5f79d99534fe1f9a6ef77b3606.png

8 minutes ago, afroman200033 said:

Yeah I’m pretty sure, this is the pc I bought, I got it pre built

<snip>

Oh alright yeah that should have no issues given the right settings.  That also pretty much rules out it being an issue from old/corrupted drivers due to upgrades or something of that nature.  It is a bit odd to me that it would just not work out of the box.  Generally it will default to conservative settings, and you can of course turn it up from there (high resolution, refresh rate, higher colour modes, etc.) which is accompanied by the "click if these settings are ok" countdown which will automatically revert any settings that don't work, which should prevent this from happening.

What options does it offer for resolution etc. while in safe mode?  I would be curious to try higher and higher things until it doesn't work.  Perhaps that will shed some light on the issue.

Unfortunately in safe mode you can’t change the resolution or refresh rate. And The one of two times the monitor turned on without safe mode, I tried to change the refresh rate from 60hz to 240hz. Then the monitor would be on but just stop displaying anything or let me use the osd.

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh alright yeah that should have no issues given the right settings.  That also pretty much rules out it being an issue from old/corrupted drivers due to upgrades or something of that nature.  It is a bit odd to me that it would just not work out of the box.  Generally it will default to conservative settings, and you can of course turn it up from there (high resolution, refresh rate, higher colour modes, etc.) which is accompanied by the "click if these settings are ok" countdown which will automatically revert any settings that don't work, which should prevent this from happening.

What options does it offer for resolution etc. while in safe mode?  I would be curious to try higher and higher things until it doesn't work.  Perhaps that will shed some light on the issue.

I really appreciate the help btw

11 minutes ago, afroman200033 said:

Unfortunately in safe mode you can’t change the resolution or refresh rate. And The one of two times the monitor turned on without safe mode, I tried to change the refresh rate from 60hz to 240hz. Then the monitor would be on but just stop displaying anything or let me use the osd.

It does definitely seem like the 240 Hz selection is what's causing the problem, but that raises the question of why since it really should work.  There is the possibility that something is wrong with the monitor, but it's hard to tell if it's that or a PC issue at this point.

If it helps I’m my other monitor works perfectly fine with the pc. I just bought the new one so I can get a dual monitor setup. But if it is the 240 hz, shouldn’t 144hz at least work? Cause I tried putting it on that setting as well to no prevail.

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It does definitely seem like the 240 Hz selection is what's causing the problem, but that raises the question of why since it really should work.  There is the possibility that something is wrong with the monitor, but it's hard to tell if it's that or a PC issue at this point.

Do you think it can be a software on my system? I’m just reading random stuff to try to fix the issue... do you know anything about restore points?

10 hours ago, afroman200033 said:

If it helps I’m my other monitor works perfectly fine with the pc. I just bought the new one so I can get a dual monitor setup. But if it is the 240 hz, shouldn’t 144hz at least work? Cause I tried putting it on that setting as well to no prevail.

Yeah it should, 1080p @ 144 Hz or at least 120 Hz isn't exactly cutting edge anymore and I really wouldn't expect issues.  If this was 4K 240 Hz 10 bit HDR or something then yeah all bets are off but I am not sure what's going on here.

9 hours ago, afroman200033 said:

Do you think it can be a software on my system? I’m just reading random stuff to try to fix the issue... do you know anything about restore points?

Restore points are for rolling back settings and applications to a previous state.  If this used to work but suddenly didn't anymore, it would be worth a shot, but since this monitor has never worked from the outset, I don't think there's much to be gained by that in this case.

Is the other monitor you tested also high refresh rate?  If so I'd be starting to think this is an issue with the monitor.  Considering it is brand new and we've not seen it work yet at any point, it's possible it's just DOA as some parts are.  If it had been working and then it stopped, again I'd be more likely to suspect a software change, but this should be more or less a plug and play experience, so for that not to happen makes me think it's the screen.  If you have the option to test this monitor on another system, that might help confirm this theory.  Again, if this was 4K 120+ it would be more difficult but 1080p @ 120 Hz is something nearly every half decent system should be able to at least output (even if it doesn't have the power to game well at that setting), so it should be possible to test. 

42 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah it should, 1080p @ 144 Hz or at least 120 Hz isn't exactly cutting edge anymore and I really wouldn't expect issues.  If this was 4K 240 Hz 10 bit HDR or something then yeah all bets are off but I am not sure what's going on here.

Restore points are for rolling back settings and applications to a previous state.  If this used to work but suddenly didn't anymore, it would be worth a shot, but since this monitor has never worked from the outset, I don't think there's much to be gained by that in this case.

Is the other monitor you tested also high refresh rate?  If so I'd be starting to think this is an issue with the monitor.  Considering it is brand new and we've not seen it work yet at any point, it's possible it's just DOA as some parts are.  If it had been working and then it stopped, again I'd be more likely to suspect a software change, but this should be more or less a plug and play experience, so for that not to happen makes me think it's the screen.  If you have the option to test this monitor on another system, that might help confirm this theory.  Again, if this was 4K 120+ it would be more difficult but 1080p @ 120 Hz is something nearly every half decent system should be able to at least output (even if it doesn't have the power to game well at that setting), so it should be possible to test. 

Yeah I just reset my whole pc to make sure. And my other monitor can use 240hz fine but when I tried to do the same with the Acer it just stopped displaying again. From your opinion you think I should just return it and get another one or should I just get a different one. Or do you think there could possibly be anything else I could try to fix it cause it’ll be a pain to wait for it to ship back there then ship back to me. And again i really do appreciate all the help. I’m big noob lmao

12 minutes ago, afroman200033 said:

Yeah I just reset my whole pc to make sure. And my other monitor can use 240hz fine but when I tried to do the same with the Acer it just stopped displaying again. From your opinion you think I should just return it and get another one or should I just get a different one. Or do you think there could possibly be anything else I could try to fix it cause it’ll be a pain to wait for it to ship back there then ship back to me. And again i really do appreciate all the help. I’m big noob lmao

Particularly if your other monitor is also 240 Hz and it's working, it makes me think that this new monitor is the issue.  Why should this one fail at doing the same thing that the other one does fine?  That suggests the PC is fine to me.  Depending on the store, they may offer to test it right then and there, but if not, I might still go for an exchange unless you can test it yourself on another system to be certain.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Particularly if your other monitor is also 240 Hz and it's working, it makes me think that this new monitor is the issue.  Why should this one fail at doing the same thing that the other one does fine?  That suggests the PC is fine to me.  Depending on the store, they may offer to test it right then and there, but if not, I might still go for an exchange unless you can test it yourself on another system to be certain.

Yeah I bought it on amazon so I doubt they’ll do the test. And the only other system I can do it on is my laptop, it’s pretty good but I doubt it can support 240hz

7 minutes ago, afroman200033 said:

Yeah I bought it on amazon so I doubt they’ll do the test. And the only other system I can do it on is my laptop, it’s pretty good but I doubt it can support 240hz

Perhaps not, but it's worth a try, and it should at least be able to do 120 Hz I would think, which would be enough to see if it will do more on the laptop than it does on your desktop or not.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Perhaps not, but it's worth a try, and it should at least be able to do 120 Hz I would think, which would be enough to see if it will do more on the laptop than it does on your desktop or not.

Yeah I just tried it with my laptop and it did the same thing as the pc did, it showed the screen for a spit second then it went just turned black 

1 minute ago, afroman200033 said:

Yeah I just tried it with my laptop and it did the same thing as the pc did, it showed the screen for a spit second then it went just turned black 

Ok I'm rather confident it's an issue with the monitor then

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ok I'm rather confident it's an issue with the monitor then

Yeah I’m trying to get on the phone with Acer rn to see what I can do, I’d rather deal with them than amazon. Ty for everything man, I really appreciate it cause I was just brain dead😂

Just now, afroman200033 said:

Yeah I’m trying to get on the phone with Acer rn to see what I can do, I’d rather deal with them than amazon. Ty for everything man, I really appreciate it cause I was just brain dead😂

No problem :)

In my experience returns to Amazon are quick, free, painless, and as near as makes no difference no questions asked (although not like you'd have any issues if they did ask though, this is pretty simple - it doesn't work).  That would be my go to personally but perhaps Acer can give more specialized advice.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No problem :)

In my experience returns to Amazon are quick, free, painless, and as near as makes no difference no questions asked (although not like you'd have any issues if they did ask though, this is pretty simple - it doesn't work).  That would be my go to personally but perhaps Acer can give more specialized advice.

For surely, ty again✌️