Samsung reportedly won’t include chargers with some phones starting next year

FootFetish
16 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Good luck finding USB-C to USB-C cable lol. Or even USB-C to Lightning...

Ironically I have more of those then I do USB A to USB C cables XD.
I know one came from my battery bank (and is required if I want my battery bank to be able to charge my laptop) another one I bought probably because I didn't know the battery came with one, and I have no idea where my third one came from.

I have never even seen a USB C to Lighting cable before. I assumed they didn't exist. But then again someone was bound to make one eventually.

4 hours ago, redf5 said:

I think that by not including the charges with every phone, there will be less chargers produced overall, since many people already have plenty of them, therefore reducing waste that comes not only in the form of the final abandoned charger, but as a byproduct of the production process. Packaging is also pollution, but would it be more wasteful than what we have right now? It can be made of recyclable plastic/cardboard, while chargers contain many different metals and plastic which have to be separated before recycling in a much harder process by comparison.

It's much better for the environment to not make unnecessary products in the first place than it is to try and recycle them en masse after the fact.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 7/15/2020 at 11:43 PM, hollyh88 said:

yes that is correct. but also, i do not care. if i pay so much for a phone. then yes i want my damm charger. that they want to give us less for more is not okay. 

Companies are out to make money from you any way they can,  you are going to pay for it either way.  I can guarantee you it will be cheaper for you in the long run to look after the environment than to worry about the phone industry making an extra $5 out of you over 3 years.   In fact if you look at land tax and waste disposal costs in your area you are probably already paying a lot more than $5 every few years so the government and recyclers can deal with waste products.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

It's much better for the environment to not make unnecessary products in the first place than it is to try and recycle them en masse after the fact.   

Yeah, and that's only considering the manufacturing itself. When you add up the saved volume in phone boxes, and reduced weight, that's a lot of savings on ship fuel, which is the most pollutant kind of fuel there is. Apple is going to save a shitload of money.

I'd rather have the charger included so at least I'd have one that works with it, guaranteed.
If I don't need a charger it's chucked and that's the end of it - No collection of them just lying around here BUT as long as it's capable of charging the phone I do tend to keep at least one as a spare "Just in case" for things like travel and so on.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

8 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

If I don't need a charger it's chucked and that's the end of it -

And here in lies the problem, that is not the end of anything, it is the start of the problem.  

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/just-20-percent-of-e-waste-is-being-recycled/

In an interesting example, the report zeroes in on chargers, specifically. Of the 45 million tons of e-waste, power adapters account for at least a half million tons. Chargers, obviously, aren’t being tossed because they’re obsolete, but they go along for the ride. The International Telecommunication Union has worked on standards for chargers, which could serve longer useful lives if compatibility was expanded.