Samsung reportedly won’t include chargers with some phones starting next year

FootFetish

Summary

Samsung will not include charger with some phones on next year 2021. Samsung assume everyone has compatible charger. Samsung being cheap. Apple might do the same thing too.

Quotes

Samsung may not include chargers in the boxes of some of its smartphones starting in 2021, according to a report from Korean news site ETNews. The company is taking them out because many people already have chargers and to help reduce costs, the report says.

While not including a charger in the box might seem like a big move, Samsung reportedly isn’t the only major phone maker considering it. Apple may do something similar by not including a charger with this year’s iPhone lineup, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Apple may also phase out the 5W and 18W chargers that currently come with iPhones (depending on which model you buy) and instead offer a new 20W fast charger that will be sold separately, said Kuo.

Removing chargers from phone boxes could be a major way for Samsung and Apple to lower the costs of selling their phones and make their phone packaging smaller, but it could also have a significant impact on the environment. Taking them out of some of the top-selling smartphones could help reduce the number of chargers that go unused and are thrown away because people already have a bunch more scattered around their house. My colleague Dieter Bohn laid out a convincing case for why Apple not including a charger with the next iPhone could be a good thing, and I suggest you give it a read.

My thoughts

I don't like this. If I purchase a $400 phone then it is better come with a charger for me. How much do I save with no charger? $10? That is like saying company use micro USB charging instead USB C in 2020 because they want to save 50 cents on it.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/8/21317304/samsung-smartphone-chargers-2021-cost-environment

I like it to cut waste. most people didn't need the 10th microB and 5W wall wart again.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I’m actually for this, it would reduce a lot of e-waste, especially if both Apple and Samsung do it. As long as they let people know that they aren’t including one before hand, people can buy a charger when they buy the phone if they need to. I’m sure I’m not the only one, but I have a ton of micro b and lighting cables, whenever I get a new phone I always leave the charger in the box, since my Anker ones are better than either stock Samsung or Apple chargers.

Edit: By the way, Marques did a video on his thoughts on Apple doing it, I think it’s worth a watch.

5 minutes ago, FootFetish said:

Summary

Samsung will not include charger with some phones on next year 2021. Samsung assume everyone has compatible charger. Samsung being cheap. Apple might do the same thing too.

Quotes

My thoughts

I don't like this. If I purchase a $400 phone then it is better come with a charger for me. How much do I save with no charger? $10? That is like saying company use micro USB charging instead USB C in 2020 because they want to save 50 cents on it.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/8/21317304/samsung-smartphone-chargers-2021-cost-environment

Nah, this is just solving the problem that's already been solved. If you have a PC of Skylake or newer, it should have a USB-C PD capable port to plug your device into, and all USB-C devices in theory support PD (in practice it's been a cluster****) 

With that said, you can explicitly buy power strips that have USB-C/USB-A ports on them, UPS systems with them on the front, and so forth so that you don't need these, even if you don't have a PC. My assumption here is that if Samsung is doing this, they've also put wireless charging in all the devices as well so they won't get caught with their pants down when people can't figure it out.

I agree on the fact that it's pointless to include a standard charger but I get the sense that it's a way to get average customers to invest into high end chargers since most people won't do it if a charger is included, no matter how slow it is. With that said, it would be a bummer to make it a rule. My OnePlus came with a 30W charger I believe but I definitely wouldn't have invested in such a charger hadn't it been bundled with the phone.

I don't see an issue with this at all. The past 3 phones I've had, the charger and cable have never left the box.

Apple is already slated to do this.

IIRC there was a study done, and not including chargers in higher end devices will save something like 300,000 tons of e-waste.

7 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I agree on the fact that it's pointless to include a standard charger but I get the sense that it's a way to get average customers to invest into high end chargers since most people won't do it if a charger is included, no matter how slow it is. With that said, it would be a bummer to make it a rule. My OnePlus came with a 30W charger I believe but I definitely wouldn't have invested in such a charger hadn't it been bundled with the phone.

By the sounds of it you'd have rather saved the money from them including that charger in the box anyway?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This seems flawed, because almost every new phone recommends that you use the designated, original charger for that specific phone, as not to damage battery life. Now they don't include that? How are they going to justify batteries shitting the bed within 2 years now?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

8 minutes ago, comander said:

Assuming you were using decent chargers which were to spec, that entire argument was BS designed to sell more accessories in most case

Also USB-C is generally better than what you'd have expected with other cords. There's usually some logic that drastically slows charging when it's near full. 

I'm not saying their claims were true. But the only reason I have an iPhone right now is I had horrible experiences with 3 different phones and the battery issues, and every time they justified it as "Oh you must have used a charger that wasn't provided with your phone a couple times and damaged it"

Buncha bullshit but it really makes me uncomfortable going back to android after my iPhone dies in a few more years.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

good, means my drawer with 15+ wall adapters won't get bigger

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

And then in 2022 they will randomly change the charger port for some minor upgrade, and still not include a charger.

The correct charger will cost a premium.

Bet.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I don't see the point in not including a charger, if i'm spending $1,000 or more on a phone it should come with a charger.

And it wouldn't cost companies that much more to include at least a 15W charger.  The non-replaceable batteries in phones is more of an e-waste issue than including a charger.

I'm actually okay with this, mostly because I'd prefer to buy an Anker anyway. But I see this as a problem for someone who's getting their first smartphone and does need that charger, making them spend even more money to buy a separate one. I would at least hope they would lower the prices of phones that don't include the chargers.

3 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I like it to cut waste. most people didn't need the 10th microB and 5W wall wart again.

People keep whining about "e-waste" this and "e-waste" that. Is like, you buy a new phone and you instantly throw away the new or the old charger because you already have one? Coz I never done that. Ever. In 20+ years. Either I sold chargers separately or they were sold with the device or I just repurposed them for charging of something else. Or I used it as a backup charger in car or as a backup charger at work. Or I used it to charge my cheap smart bracelet that came with just USB cable and you understand why because it was so bloody cheap. Or I used it to charge my old Creative Zen MP3 player that I bought on eBay from UK and it came with UK's wall brick miniUSB. This whole uh oh it's just e-waste is such horseshit. And thanks to everyone whining about this we'll have to first buy a phone that will arrive without a charger, just to right away buy a new charger that will come in a nice big plastic blister. Congratulations, you've saved the planet, by requiring even more material for the shit that used to come with the device as standard and didn't require extra packaging. Just shows how narrow minded people are...

And whoever thinks devices will be cheaper because they won't have charger in the box, my god you're stupid as a brick if you seriously think that will happen. Samsung or Apple devices are not cheap as is and them removing something from the package will never lower the price. They'll just make some shit up to inflate the price and stick with it and everyone will just happily pay for it. And even if they do it now, just to shut up people, it'll get raised next year when everyone will forget about it already. It's literally free ~20-40€ price inflation of the device that'll go straight into their pockets and you'll save exactly nothing. Also you'll be short for one extra charger that you could use for any of the scenarios I mentioned above... Congratulations everyone, you just played yourselves.

Just now, RejZoR said:

People keep whining about "e-waste" this and "e-waste" that. Is like, you buy a new phone and you instantly throw away the new or the old charger because you already have one

the cable no because those get used up however I don't need 25 micro Bs and 10 5W wall warts.

if almost everything ships with it than no need to give it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 hours ago, The_russian said:

I’m actually for this, it would reduce a lot of e-waste, especially if both Apple and Samsung do it. As long as they let people know that they aren’t including one before hand, people can buy a charger when they buy the phone if they need to. I’m sure I’m not the only one, but I have a ton of micro b and lighting cables, whenever I get a new phone I always leave the charger in the box, since my Anker ones are better than either stock Samsung or Apple chargers.

Edit: By the way, Marques did a video on his thoughts on Apple doing it, I think it’s worth a watch.

The issue I take with this is with the companies true intentions here. For years companies have included cheap, subpar chargers in the box. Never was considered an issue... Now, a major selling point for new phones is super fast charging. Companies like Samsung and Apple are realizing that these chargers (specifically the wall wart, not the cord) cost a lot more money than the 5-12 watt ones they have previously included. So their solution is to stop providing a charger, claiming its for e-waste, rather than the increased cost of the newer and faster chargers. Mind you, their whole marketing team is pressing how fast the phones can charge, but refuse to provide the required charger in the box to utilize the feature because of "e-waste". When its truly about not providing customers with the product(s) that they are going to advertise as a major feature of the device... While at the same time year over year, raising the price of the devices...

Then you have One Plus, who for at least $100 or less on average, provides both better packaging, hardware, and chargers in the box than these major companies. Shows the greed of these companies. 

7 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

People keep whining about "e-waste" this and "e-waste" that. Is like, you buy a new phone and you instantly throw away the new or the old charger because you already have one? Coz I never done that. Ever. In 20+ years. Either I sold chargers separately or they were sold with the device or I just repurposed them for charging of something else. Or I used it as a backup charger in car or as a backup charger at work. Or I used it to charge my cheap smart bracelet that came with just USB cable and you understand why because it was so bloody cheap. Or I used it to charge my old Creative Zen MP3 player that I bought on eBay from UK and it came with UK's wall brick miniUSB. This whole uh oh it's just e-waste is such horseshit. And thanks to everyone whining about this we'll have to first buy a phone that will arrive without a charger, just to right away buy a new charger that will come in a nice big plastic blister. Congratulations, you've saved the planet, by requiring even more material for the shit that used to come with the device as standard and didn't require extra packaging. Just shows how narrow minded people are...

And whoever thinks devices will be cheaper because they won't have charger in the box, my god you're stupid as a brick if you seriously think that will happen. Samsung or Apple devices are not cheap as is and them removing something from the package will never lower the price. They'll just make some shit up to inflate the price and stick with it and everyone will just happily pay for it. And even if they do it now, just to shut up people, it'll get raised next year when everyone will forget about it already. It's literally free ~20-40€ price inflation of the device that'll go straight into their pockets and you'll save exactly nothing. Also you'll be short for one extra charger that you could use for any of the scenarios I mentioned above... Congratulations everyone, you just played yourselves.

Thank you!!! I am glad I am not the only one who see's through this bullshit! 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

the cable no because those get used up however I don't need 25 micro Bs and 10 5W wall warts.

if almost everything ships with it than no need to give it.

Yeah, now you have that many. Wait for few years and you'll have none. It'll be cool times, tremendous times. And you'll pay more for all of it. All those 25 USB cables and 10 chargers are NOT e-waste because you clearly still have them and they are still usable. e-waste would be if you tossed them away while being in perfectly working condition.

And even if you drop them in electronics collection bins that are a common place in my country and we aren't some recycling heaven, I know people who either resell those or dig those bins to find chargers as replacement for those that may have died or they've lost. All the devices that I sold were sold with the charger. All the phones I gave away to my mom or sister, they came with a charger and I gave it away along with the device. Guess what, zero e-waste again. I'd much rather get a whatever charger in the box and in the end gave it away to someone for free than give these companies a chance to charge me more while not giving me anything and requiring me to buy ADDITIONAL thing in the end. It's so stupid and people are stupid about it as hell.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Yeah, now you have that many. Wait for few years and you'll have none. It'll be cool times, tremendous times. And you'll pay more for all of it. All those 25 USB cables and 10 chargers are NOT e-waste because you clearly still have them and they are still usable. e-waste would be if you tossed them away while being in perfectly working condition.

I'd rather buy whatever cable I need than have 20 spares I'll never use. as for the chargers I rarely use one. I got USB ports in power bars and lamps along with on my computers.

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I'd rather buy whatever cable I need than have 20 spares I'll never use. as for the chargers I rarely use one. I got USB ports in power bars and lamps along with on my computers.

Well, enjoy your new device for same cost and paying 15€ extra for the cable and 20€ extra for the charger. SAVINGS!

Just now, RejZoR said:

Well, enjoy your new device for same cost and paying 20€ extra for the cable and 20€ extra for the charger. SAVINGS!

I won't pay 20 more a charger and as for cables. I tend to buy packs of 3-4 for that much

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I won't pay 20 more a charger and as for cables. I tend to buy packs of 3-4 for that much

So, the same e-waste amount + all the extra blister plastic. Congratulations, you saved the planet!

Just now, RejZoR said:

So, the same e-waste amount + all the extra blister plastic. Congratulations, you saved the planet!

that if I need any. I haven't bought a new cable for my phone in 3 years.

Just now, GDRRiley said:

that if I need any. I haven't bought a new cable for my phone in 3 years.

I haven't either. And I've not produced any e-waste either, because I still use all the old chargers or cables or they gave them away or sold with the device they came with. Again, zero e-waste produced. We're not saving the planet here, we're feeding at greedy corporations. But congrats I guess, everyone do self high five coz we saved the planet.

Just now, RejZoR said:

I haven't either. And I've not produced any e-waste either, because I still use all the old chargers or cables or they gave them away or sold with the device they came with. Again, zero e-waste produced. We're not saving the planet here, we're feeding at greedy corporations. But congrats I guess, everyone do self high five coz we saved the planet.

I can show you a pile of random cables and charges that didn't need to come with the device cus we already had 3-4

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

I can show you a pile of random cables and charges that didn't need to come with the device cus we already had 3-4

Yeah, well, now you'll have none. No cables or chargers. And you'll have to buy them extra, even when needed and they'll all come in extra packaging and extra transportation required for them. You're literally producing more waste. But hey, lets all feel gud about it how we're saving world while not really and paying more for it for no god damn reason. If you think Apple or Samsung will charge you less for base device because of it, you're so wrong it's not even funny.