Second PC for Streaming/Minecraft Server

Budget (including currency): 1,000-1,500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Capture PC for streaming purposes and also hosting a Minecraft Server

First, I'll list my current PC that I am already gaming and streaming with: R9 3900X, Gigabyte 2080, X570 Taichi, 64gigs G.Skill 3600Mhz RAM, 1.5TB M.2 storage and 4TB HDD storage. Connection speed is 400Mb/s down and 20Mb/s up.

Now, what I want to do is build a second pc to capture, encode, and stream from while also potentially running a Minecraft server. Primarily though, Its going to be a Minecraft server. I wont be gaming on it or anything else. So I'm curious what you'd all suggest as far as parts go. Mostly CPU and RAM and whether an integrated GPU would work fine in this situation or if it should have a discreet GPU. If a discreet GPU would be better, what GPU would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

You already have nvenc in your GPU, which is literally the best you can get. 

in not to knowledgeable in see see, how many people would you be looking to host?

2 minutes ago, GamerTrem said:

Minecraft Server

How many plugins, how many people

Now, what I want to do is build a second pc to capture, encode, and stream from

not needed your PC is more then enough

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, gloop said:

You already have nvenc in your GPU, which is literally the best you can get. 

in not to knowledgeable in see see, how many people would you be looking to host?

Right now, I'm not a huge streamer so its not going to be anything crazy. It is going to be a heavily modded minecraft server. FTB Revelation to be specific. At most 10 ppl on at a time. Potential for more in the future

3 minutes ago, GamerTrem said:

Budget (including currency): 1,000-1,500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Capture PC for streaming purposes and also hosting a Minecraft Server

First, I'll list my current PC that I am already gaming and streaming with: R9 3900X, Gigabyte 2080, X570 Taichi, 64gigs G.Skill 3600Mhz RAM, 1.5TB M.2 storage and 4TB HDD storage. Connection speed is 400Mb/s down and 20Mb/s up.

Now, what I want to do is build a second pc to capture, encode, and stream from while also potentially running a Minecraft server. Primarily though, Its going to be a Minecraft server. I wont be gaming on it or anything else. So I'm curious what you'd all suggest as far as parts go. Mostly CPU and RAM and whether an integrated GPU would work fine in this situation or if it should have a discreet GPU. If a discreet GPU would be better, what GPU would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Depending how many people you want to host, I think a 3900x alone is pretty solid lol.

But, regardless, no need for a GPU. I am sure many folks will chime in with better info than I have. But regardless, I would just stream from your PC directly. Just easier, cleaner, less headache. You have plenty of power to stream and game with no issues.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Just now, wall03 said:

How many plugins, how many people

not needed your PC is more then enough

While true, the system starts to lag a bit with more intensive gameplay while streaming. I stream at 1080 and typically play at 1440p, though when not streaming I'm playing at 4k. Basically, I don't like having to turn graphics settings down to stream. Better quality image gives more entertainment for viewers kind of thing.

3 minutes ago, GamerTrem said:

Right now, I'm not a huge streamer so its not going to be anything crazy. It is going to be a heavily modded minecraft server. FTB Revelation to be specific. At most 10 ppl on at a time. Potential for more in the future

Should be able to run the server, play as a client, and stream all at once on your current PC. Your cap might be your upload speeds. If you test it out and people connecting to your server end up with high ping you'll have to look into renting with a server host.

you like just need to change how you stream. use the hardware encoders over using CPU power.

as for the MC server. 16gb of ram and a 3300x (after high clocks and good single core) on an SSD would do fine

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

Should be able to run the server, play as a client, and stream all at once on your current PC. Your cap might be your upload speeds. If you test it out and people connecting to your server end up with high ping you'll have to look into renting with a server host.

I wanted a separate one so I could keep it running full time, and my current PC runs high in the wattage department. So trying to minimize power usage as well if its on 24/7 as well as heat output during the summer. We get hot here and no A/C. Less power used, the cooler things are kind of thing.

Just now, GamerTrem said:

It is going to be a heavily modded minecraft server. FTB Revelation to be specific. At most 10 ppl on at a time. Potential for more in the future

10 people? Heavy mods?

I would get 16GB for that.

Maybe more in the future with 20 ppl 24GB at most.

not speaking from experience. Just estimate.

3300x for CPU. SSD maybe 256GB you aren't storing photos or anything. GPU maybe RX 480 as MC is more CPU then GPU

While true, the system starts to lag a bit with more intensive gameplay while streaming. I stream at 1080 and typically play at 1440p, though when not streaming I'm playing at 4k. Basically, I don't like having to turn graphics settings down to stream. Better quality image gives more entertainment for viewers kind of thing.

what games do you play? You know what? Just get a better Internet

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

you like just need to change how you stream. use the hardware encoders over using CPU power.

as for the MC server. 16gb of ram and a 3300x (after high clocks and good single core) on an SSD would do fine

Thanks, I knew it wouldn't need to be too powerful, but was looking for a more solid answer since I've never built my own "server" specific PC.

I wanted a separate one so I could keep it running full time, and my current PC runs high in the wattage department. So trying to minimize power usage as well if its on 24/7 as well as heat output during the summer. We get hot here and no A/C. Less power used, the cooler things are kind of thing.

ah. What you need are water coolers and a higher quality PSU

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

You'll defiantly produce a LOT more heat and use way more power adding a whole extra PC to the room.

Just now, wall03 said:

ah. What you need are water coolers and a higher quality PSU

Current PSU is a 750W 80+ Gold from Bitfenix. Runs beautifully. 

Current PSU is a 750W 80+ Gold from Bitfenix. Runs beautifully. 

oh. I see. Gold is nice. I was thinking you had like a Bronze lol

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

3 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

You'll defiantly produce a LOT more heat and use way more power adding a whole extra PC to the room.

Oh definitely while they are both on. Though during the day while I'm not home a lower power hungry unit would keep the temp down during that period.

11 minutes ago, GamerTrem said:

Oh definitely while they are both on. Though during the day while I'm not home a lower power hungry unit would keep the temp down during that period.

Why not use a server host at that point? You won't have to invest into a whole second PC, not have to deal with the heat, have dedicated support working out all the kinks of the server, while still having easy access to the files to tweak things yourself, and if you find that the servers not working out, your not going to be stuck with a thousand dollar paper weight. Also if it does become very popular you'll be able to upgrade your plan as needed.

2 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Why not use a server host at that point? You won't have to invest into a whole second PC, not have to deal with the heat, have dedicated support working out all the kinks of the server, while still having easy access to the files to tweak things yourself, and if you find that the servers not working out, your not going to be stuck with a thousand dollar paper weight. Also if it does become very popular you'll be able to upgrade your plan as needed.

The issue is, any server host I've tried, I have to buy so much additional RAM for the server that I end up having to pay $50+ a month, in the long term a second PC built specifically for hosting a server would be cheaper. 1 year at $50 a month is already 600 dollars. Without having to buy a high end GPU, that reduces the price significantly. Also getting a 3300X and say... an X470 board paired with 16 gigs of RAM would be much more affordable. Especially in the long run. 

1 minute ago, GamerTrem said:

3300X and say... an X470 board paired with 16 gigs of RAM would be much more affordable. Especially in the long run.

Power difference wouldn't be enough, to not just run it off your current PC. Then your just dealing with on PC rather than 2 producing heat (most of the heat will end up dissipating away anyway, PCs don't make that great of heaters in the winter, I have tried)