Looking to join the Master Race.

LukeG88

Budget (including currency): £800-900

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: twitch Streaming, video editing and games such as Doom, COD, F1. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Going to need gaming monitor, keyboard & mouse (Not included in budget). Main aim is to play at 1080p at 120fps where possible. 

Been looking at having a R5 3600 cpu paired with a 2060 GPU. Seem to see that the Radeon cards aren’t great for streaming? Unless there is a fix to improve streaming quality using a Radeon card?

thanks 

3 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

The reason they aren't as good for streaming is because NVIDIA has their new NVENC encoder, which really helps to take the load off of the CPU. A 2060 is fine for your budget, but if you can try and get a 5700 and flash it to the XT bios.

By getting a 5700 and flashing the bios, would the stream quality be closer to the 2060? From videos I’ve seen by EposVox the 5700 seemed to give off very blocky visuals in fast paced games. 

1 hour ago, BlueScope819 said:

It all depends on what settings you use with OBS. I was suggesting that as a really good bang-for-buck machine.

Ah yeah. I’ve seen a lot say that you do get a lot more bang for buck from the Radeon GPU.

The only reason I suggested the NVIDIA was due to the encoding on it.  

I’m trying to think do most people who watch streamers notice the video quality whilst watching on their screens? Can a regular person notice the difference in steaming quality.

I assume that a Ryzen 3500 can’t handle the encoding side of things. If it could, I could lean towards the Radeon 

Thanks. 

Just a lot of confusing stuff on it all. Especially with lots of people saying of driver issues with the Radeon. 

another daft question, 16gb of ram sufficient enough for light video editing?

10 hours ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xkxbMc

If video editing is light, then yes. Put the three case fans in the front for intake. 120gb ssd for os and freq. used apps, ex. Google chrome. 2tb hdd for games. Good luck. Use the nvenc from 2060 super to run stream

I’ve seen this pre built, I have made some changes to bring the cost down. 
CPU: R7 3700x >>> AMD R5 3600 Save £100
Mobo ASUS TUF B450-PLUS Gaming 
RAM 16GB Corsair DDR4 3200MHz 
M.2 Intel 512GB 660p M.2 NVMe 
Optical NONE
Case: KOLINK INSPIRE K5 RGB >>>>> PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P300 GLASS-BLACK
PSU: 600W RioToro 
Gfx: 5600xt >>>> GigaByte Dual Fan 2060 £10
HDD Seagate 3TB HDD
Cooler: ID Cooler: >>>>> AMD Cooler Save £40
3-GAMEMAX ADDRESSABLE RGB 3-IN-1 KIT FAN-STRIP-REMOTE >>>> 4 X High Performance F12 Fans - £12

£820 with a 3 year warranty. 

is it worth a price hike between a 2060 vs the 2060 super. 

Faster CPU, Faster GPU, better power supply, 1TB NVMe SSD. Case ships with two LED 120mm fans in the front. Get another one for the exhaust and you're set.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£250.56 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Biostar B450MH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£54.25 @ Ebuyer) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£61.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£99.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card  (£344.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Case: Xigmatek Scorpio MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£28.01 @ Ebuyer) 
Power Supply: KOLINK Classic Power 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£48.54 @ Novatech) 
Total: £888.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-09 10:30 BST+0100

I assume I could let the CPU handle the streaming there?

Am I getting to strung up on having an NVIDIA card due to streaming? Are most stream consumers going to notice the visual quality of a stream as long as it's not potato quality?

does anyone know of any streamers who are using a 5700 as their main gpu?

3 minutes ago, LukeG88 said:

I assume I could let the CPU handle the streaming there?

Am I getting to strung up on having an NVIDIA card due to streaming? Are most stream consumers going to notice the visual quality of a stream as long as it's not potato quality?

does anyone know of any streamers who are using a 5700 as their main gpu?

Quote if you want replies, otherwise I won't get a notification.

NVidia cards are better for streaming because of their super efficient NVENC encoder, so if you can afford to wait for the new Ampere GPUs, then wait. At the very least, you should be able to pick up an RTX 2070 Super for like $300 used once they're out. 

Note that a used NVidia 10-series card like a GTX 1080 won't have the high-level NVENC that the 2000 series does. 

36 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Quote if you want replies, otherwise I won't get a notification.

NVidia cards are better for streaming because of their super efficient NVENC encoder, so if you can afford to wait for the new Ampere GPUs, then wait. At the very least, you should be able to pick up an RTX 2070 Super for like $300 used once they're out. 

Note that a used NVidia 10-series card like a GTX 1080 won't have the high-level NVENC that the 2000 series does. 

Many thanks. 

So we're looking at a September release for the 3000 series of RTX cards, with the 3070 and 3060 (I assume) coming at a later date? Do the 2070's drop as people will want to upgrade to the 3000 series?

How reliable are used GPU's? Does it depends on the user?

(still getting my head around PC components)

Many thanks for your help so far!

11 minutes ago, LukeG88 said:

Many thanks. 

So we're looking at a September release for the 3000 series of RTX cards, with the 3070 and 3060 (I assume) coming at a later date? Do the 2070's drop as people will want to upgrade to the 3000 series?

How reliable are used GPU's? Does it depends on the user?

(still getting my head around PC components)

Many thanks for your help so far!

Yes, September to the best of my knowledge. 

GPUs theoretically last basically forever, because they're not used for intensive tasks 24/7. The exception, however, is bitcoin mining, where the GPU is being used to perform calculations at max capacity 24/7, often for months at a time. There's almost no way to tell if a GPU has been used for mining unfortunately, so with GPUs, as well as power supplies and SSDs, it's always safer to buy new.

1 hour ago, Aereldor said:

Faster CPU, Faster GPU, better power supply, 1TB NVMe SSD. Case ships with two LED 120mm fans in the front. Get another one for the exhaust and you're set.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£250.56 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£61.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£99.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card  (£344.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Case: Xigmatek Scorpio MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£28.01 @ Ebuyer) 
Power Supply: KOLINK Classic Power 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£48.54 @ Novatech) 
Total: £888.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-09 10:30 BST+0100

The Mobo, Case and PSU are terrible. The SSD is QLC NAND, which is not reccomended for boot-drives. The case will be extremely restictive for cooling, especially for a 3700x + 5700xt combo. The PSU is for low-end systems with a low-power GPU at best. There are too many quirks with this just to fit in the 3700x + 5700xt. Sorry don't take this personal, but i just cant recommend this. 

This is more reasonable with actually decent parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jDbyCL

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

9 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

The Mobo, Case and PSU are terrible. The SSD is QLC NAND, which is not reccomended for boot-drives. The case will be extremely restictive, especialla for a 3700x + 5700xt combo. The PSU is for low-end systems with a low-power GPU at best. There are too many quirks with this just to fit in the 3700x + 5700xt. Sorry but i just cant reccomend this.

This is more reasonable with actually decent parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jDbyCL

The motherboard is fine, a QLC SSD is going to be just fine for the average consumer. Kolink Classic Power v2 PSUs are absolutely fine, they're on par with units like Seasonic's M12ii. The PSU you linked is tier B+ on our forum's tier list as opposed to tier B for the kolink. You call that terrible and recommend something just marginally better?

I've built in that case. Cheap doesn't automatically mean bad. It's a very good looking case with a tempered glass front and side panel, is surprisingly roomy inside with good cable management options, room for 3 120mm fans (ships with 2 decent ones already), and has a PSU shroud (and another shroud in the front for management. The only issue I see is the brightly coloured case cables. But they're just case cables. If they're visible, sharpie the motherfuckers.

You, on the other hand, got the country wrong, exceeded the budget by a huge amount, and for the extra heap you spent (with no idea about price or availability in his region), there are no performance benefits. 

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

The motherboard is fine, a QLC SSD is going to be just fine for the average consumer. Kolink Classic Power v2 PSUs are absolutely fine, they're on par with units like Seasonic's M12ii. The PSU you linked is tier B+ on our forum's tier list as opposed to tier B for the kolink. You call that terrible and recommend something just marginally better?

I've built in that case. Cheap doesn't automatically mean bad. It's a very good looking case with a tempered glass front and side panel, is surprisingly roomy inside with good cable management options, room for 3 120mm fans (ships with 2 decent ones already), and has a PSU shroud. 

You, on the other hand, got the country wrong, exceeded the budget by a huge amount, and for the extra heap you spent (with no idea about price or availability in his region), there are no performance benefits. 

Oof sorry, posted the wrong link for the parts list...

This is the one i meant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/z9wCYH

Imo for streaming and maybe even video production (even some games today) 1tb total storage is not enough.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

12 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I've built in that case. Cheap doesn't automatically mean bad. It's a very good looking case with a tempered glass front and side panel, is surprisingly roomy inside with good cable management options, room for 3 120mm fans (ships with 2 decent ones already), and has a PSU shroud.

My problem is not that it's cheap. The problem is the glass front, which severely restricts cooling.

12 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

The motherboard is fine.

It's not even on the Mobo tier list... I simply wouldn't buy this at all.

13 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

a QLC SSD is going to be just fine for the average consumer

He'll be streaming, which will put constant load onto storage devices. I'd not go for QLC in this case. For anyone who is JUST gaming i'd say QLC is enough.

8 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I've built in that case. Cheap doesn't automatically mean bad. It's a very good looking case with a tempered glass front and side panel, is surprisingly roomy inside with good cable management options, room for 3 120mm fans (ships with 2 decent ones already), and has a PSU shroud (and another shroud in the front for management. The only issue I see is the brightly coloured case cables. But they're just case cables. If they're visible, sharpie the motherfuckers.

I have been looking at cases, I want something stealthy (maybe with room to add some RGB on the inside). Not fussed on RGB fans. I like the Phanteks P300A. Want a case with a tempered glass side and a PSU shroud.

4 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Oof sorry, posted the wrong link for the parts list...

This is the one i meant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/z9wCYH

Imo for streaming and maybe even video production (even some games today) 1tb total storage is not enough.

Is it worth sticking to a 2060 over spending £100 more on the super?

Trying to find some videos on streaming from a 5700XT, to see if quality can be improved? Or will nothing match the NVIDIA for stream quality?

5 minutes ago, LukeG88 said:

With your tight budget, I'd say it's not really worth it.

I have been looking at cases, I want something stealthy (maybe with room to add some RGB on the inside). Not fussed on RGB fans. I like the Phanteks P300A. Want a case with a tempered glass side and a PSU shroud.

The P300A is a great option. Sadly it's sold out everywhere everytime. The P400A is the bigger brother with lots of room. Both have awesome cooling capabilities because of the mesh front.

Trying to find some videos on streaming from a 5700XT, to see if quality can be improved? Or will nothing match the NVIDIA for stream quality?

Imo the 5700XT is out of your budget. You'd have to cheap out on too many other parts to fit it in.

11 minutes ago, LukeG88 said:

Nvidia is currently winning for streaming quality, AMD doesn't yet have an answer for NVENC. But the RTX 2060 is a slow-ass card for the money. I'd argue the super is slightly better value, but not by much. But I'm seeing used RTX 2070 Super cards for about 375 GBP on ebay in the 'buy it now' section, lower for auctions. Maybe do that? You're running the risk that it's a mining GPU though. I would just wait and buy one on clearance, or buy the 3060, it should be as fast as a 2070 super anyway given NVidia's trends since 2014

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

With your tight budget, I'd say it's not really worth it.

The P300A is a great option. Sadly it's sold out everywhere everytime. The P400A is the bigger brother with lots of room. Both have awesome cooling capabilities because of the mesh front.

Imo the 5700XT is out of your budget. You'd have to cheap out on too many other parts to fit it in.

P1 is QLC but has a DRAM cache. P2 is TLC but DRAMless. Something to watch out for.

A 5400RPM mass storage drive is going to fucking crawl by today's standards. 

The MSI board isn't much better than the Biostar board. They're very similar, but they're also similar in price so I don't care.

2 hours ago, Aereldor said:

the VRM on this thing isn't gonna hold up with a 3700x. even with a 3600 i'd be very skeptical. a non-heatsinked board would be tier F on the list at the most.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

But the RTX 2060 is a slow-ass card for the money.

Depends on what you need it for. 1080p 144Hz will be the perfect fit. 1440p high-refresh is even possible in many titles. It's not bad value for it's uses. Also it may have big advantages in the future IF DLSS will kick in more.

5 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

But I'm seeing used RTX 2070 Super cards for about 375 GBP on ebay in the 'buy it now' section, lower for auctions. Maybe do that?

Used GPU could really be the better choice here. You just have to be comfortable buying used hardware.

Just now, Herman Mcpootis said:

the VRM on this thing isn't gonna hold up with a 3700x. even with a 3600 i'd be very skeptical. a non-heatsinked board would be tier F on the list at the most.

I swear I've seen you recommend it before, but maybe with a 3300x. I figured it was fine since they're both 65w chips, and the MSI board is non-heatsinked too. 

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Used GPU could really be the better choice here. You just have to be comfortable buying used hardware.

Mining. NVidia's trends dictate the 3060 will be faster than the 2070 super, so waiting is the move here. it's still 2 months though.

5700xt is the faster card but no NVENC, just AMD's potato hardware encoding.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

P1 is QLC but has a DRAM cache. P2 is TLC but DRAMless. Something to watch out for.

Yes, it's DRAM-less but TLC can hold the performance even without the DRAM.

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

A 5400RPM mass storage drive is going to fucking crawl by today's standards. 

I'd suggest you to read up a bit on HDD performance. RPM is a VERY SMALL PART of it's performance. Most HDD, no matter if 5400 or 7200 RPM will perform very similar.

The MSI board isn't much better than the Biostar board. They're very similar, but they're also similar in price so I don't care.

The MSI board is very capable. Even the best Biostar boards on the tier list don't match it in any way.

I swear I've seen you recommend it before, but maybe with a 3300x. I figured it was fine since they're both 65w chips, and the MSI board is non-heatsinked too. 

i've only recommended the B350-BTC from biostar recently, that one did still have a VRM heatsink.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W