Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amsga

What HDD to upgrade to, from a WD Black 4TB for a gaming PC?

Recommended Posts

Posted Original PosterOP

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what should I be looking at for upgrading my WD Black 4TB (WD4003FZEX)?

Got about 1TB of space and I appear to be the data hoarding type.聽馃槄

Locally, WD Black and WD Blue options max out at 6TB, while Seagate's option beyond 4 TB are from the IronWolf and IronWolf Pro lineups.

I am running a X570 motherboard so the StoreMI could be an option in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean.. you've still got a terabyte of space left.

WD's Red Pro drives max out at over 10TBs.


Desktop:Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | 32GB 3000MHz CL15 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: Apple Macbook Pro 13" 2018 (i5-8259U | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD)

Peripherals: Steelseries Rival 600 & Logitech MX Master 3 | Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Sennheiser Game One | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, amsga said:

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what should I be looking at for upgrading my WD Black 4TB (WD4003FZEX)?

Got about 1TB of space and I appear to be the data hoarding type.聽馃槄

Locally, WD Black and WD Blue options max out at 6TB, while Seagate's option beyond 4 TB are from the IronWolf and IronWolf Pro lineups.

I am running a X570 motherboard so the StoreMI could be an option in the future.

WD Blacks are the ones intended for bulk, non-NAS storage.

Add another WD Black 4TB...


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted Original PosterOP
On 7/8/2020 at 10:49 PM, Mateyyy said:

I mean.. you've still got a terabyte of space left.

WD's Red Pro drives max out at over 10TBs.

I would have thought the Reds and IronWolves may not be appropriate for a gaming PC unless used for long term storage of data?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted Original PosterOP
On 7/8/2020 at 11:22 PM, Eighjan said:

WD Blacks are the ones intended for bulk, non-NAS storage.

Add another WD Black 4TB...

Current setup doesn't allow me to add one more HDD in the case.

Was hoping for a direct upgrade as much as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, amsga said:

I would have thought the Reds and IronWolves may not be appropriate for a gaming PC unless used for long term storage of data?

A NAS drive still functions the same way, it's just that it's certified to run continuously without any issues.

I'd advise against getting the Red non-Pro in 2-6TB capacities though, as those drives are SMR as opposed to CMR, which is worse.


Desktop:Intel Core i9-9900K | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | 32GB 3000MHz CL15 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: Apple Macbook Pro 13" 2018 (i5-8259U | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD)

Peripherals: Steelseries Rival 600 & Logitech MX Master 3 | Ducky Shine 7 (Cherry MX Brown) | Sennheiser Game One | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, amsga said:

I would have thought the Reds and IronWolves may not be appropriate for a gaming PC unless used for long term storage of data?

6 hours ago, amsga said:

Current setup doesn't allow me to add one more HDD in the case.

Was hoping for a direct upgrade as much as possible.

Any of these fit your requirements...?


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Any of these fit your requirements...?

All of them do, I guess.

Though locally I am stuck with Ironwolf or Ironwolf Pro for Seagate.

2 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

A NAS drive still functions the same way, it's just that it's certified to run continuously without any issues.

I'd advise against getting the Red non-Pro in 2-6TB capacities though, as those drives are SMR as opposed to CMR, which is worse.

So basically if I am looking at 6TB or higher, I'll be looking at the Red Pro versions.聽

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, amsga said:

All of them do, I guess.

Though locally I am stuck with Ironwolf or Ironwolf Pro for Seagate.

Ouch; even for online shopping?


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted Original PosterOP
Just now, Eighjan said:

Ouch; even for online shopping?

I try to avoid online shopping.

Had bad experiences before when items were DOA.

Barracuda locally max out at 4TB.聽

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, amsga said:

I try to avoid online shopping.

Had bad experiences before when items were DOA.

Barracuda locally max out at 4TB.聽

Buying online is safe... WHERE you buy from is the variable. :)


Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now