Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kofman13

red/white RCA vs 3.5mm?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I just got a pair of iKMultimedia iLoud Micro monitors and they are so amazing. i connect to them via bluetooth with my phone but when producing on my studio pc i need to use my focusrite 2i2 for various reasons. It has two 1/4 inch outs for output.

the iLoud micros have two input choices, red/white RCA or 3.5mm. so i am trying to figure out which wire/adapter i need to order so i can plug them into my focusrite. is there a quality difference between 3.5mm and RCA? which one should i be using?

7 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

the iLoud micros have two input choices, red/white RCA or 3.5mm. so i am trying to figure out which wire/adapter i need to order so i can plug them into my focusrite.

Whichever matches. Since you have both types of connectors, you can use either.

is there a quality difference between 3.5mm and RCA?

No. In some cases there will be a difference between terribly shielded cables and every other cable, but that applies to any cable, regardless of the connector.

which one should i be using?

See above.

If you buy a quality RCA to 3.5mm cable you'll be fine. That's what I use.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, kofman13 said:

I just got a pair of iKMultimedia iLoud Micro monitors and they are so amazing. i connect to them via bluetooth with my phone but when producing on my studio pc i need to use my focusrite 2i2 for various reasons. It has two 1/4 inch outs for output.

the iLoud micros have two input choices, red/white RCA or 3.5mm. so i am trying to figure out which wire/adapter i need to order so i can plug them into my focusrite. is there a quality difference between 3.5mm and RCA? which one should i be using?

Well, 3.5mm and RCA both carry unbalanced signals, so if the cable's are equally well shielded, then there shouldn't be a difference between them.

The outputs on the back of the unit are balanced outputs, which is a standard used to help with EMI reduction over long runs of cable.

If you put a standard, 2 pole 1/4th jack into a balanced, 3 pole output, then you just get un-balanced audio out of it. You lose some volume and the balanced connectivity, but nothing else is really lost.

You can get cheap 1/4th to RCA cables, which I think would be the best bet.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-CPR-202-Stereo-Interconnect-Meters/dp/B000068O17/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=1%2F4+to+rca&qid=1594232588&sr=8-3

If you have any questions about ultra high end audio (Or any speakers or audio gear!), don't be afraid to shoot me a message, or mention me.

Spent over 700k on audio gear, still trying to increase sound quality.

Why 44.1kHz is all you need: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

How loud should you listen?: http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/