Will the GTX 1650 be compatible with some of my ancient hardware?

Hi there,

So I'd like to offer some backstory. My dad has a home office and a render farm for his Architecture practice and he let me have one of his computers so that I can game and have some fun. Here are the specs;

AMD A10 7700k

Radeon HD 6950

MSI A68HM-E33 v2

16 GB of HyperX Fury DDR3 RAM

128 GB AMD Radeon R7 SSD

Feel free to pm me if i did that wrong ^_^

Anyways, I was hoping to get new components and am on a tight budget so I listed the items I am going to get eventually

Ryzen 5 2600

Colorful GeForce GTX 1650

MSI Pro B450m Motherboard

16GB HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM

So let me get to the point, I am a gamer and so my priority would be to go ahead and get the GPU right away. I checked benchmarks and it more than doubles the score for gaming and maybe would lead me to not need to play on 1280x720 low settings and barely get 80 fps. I was wondering if my older computer could handle this 'newer' GPU while I wait to save more money and buy a motherboard and CPU. 

Any help and information on how I should tackle my slow upgrade would help tremendously. Hope you're all staying safe in light of this pandemic.

The 1650 is a really bad value, the 1650 super is often a mere $10 more and is significantly faster. It should absolutely work with your current motherboard, despite a CPU bottleneck in modern titles.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Technically it'll work 

The GPU is bad for its price 

Consider a used 570/580 or a new 1650 super and that'll be a lot better value.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

The 1650 is a really bad value, the 1650 super is often a mere $10 more and is significantly faster. It should absolutely work with your current motherboard, despite a CPU bottleneck in modern titles.

Thanks! I'll look into this. I am assuming my next target after getting the GPU should be the CPU then the motherboard respectfully then? :)

Just now, Javiee2001 said:

am assuming my next target after getting the GPU should be the CPU then the motherboard respectfully then?

Moving to a different platform will probably be the best option for you later down the line. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, Javiee2001 said:

128 GB AMD Radeon R7 SSD

Is that correct...?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

2 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Is that correct...?

You'd be surprised

Screenshot_20200708-093349_Chrome.jpg.b74c79199115a1f0cdb898b087d7a532.jpg

There's also some AMD Radeon DDR3 floating around out there.

3 minutes ago, Javiee2001 said:

Thanks! I'll look into this. I am assuming my next target after getting the GPU should be the CPU then the motherboard respectfully then? :)

Well, you'd need to get the CPU and motherboard together, since you can't put any new CPUs in your current socket. But yes, that would make a nice upgrade in the future.

What country are you buying in? The Ryzen 5 2600 is a good CPU, but the Ryzen 3 3100 and 3300X are often in the same price bracket with better gaming performance.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Moving to a different platform will probably be the best option for you later down the line. 

Thanks! also, what do you mean by moving to a different platform?

Just now, Javiee2001 said:

what do you mean by moving to a different platform?

Like moving to a different line up of boards and cpus 

Like am4 or LGA 1200 / 1151 ( though that's a dead platform as well )

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Well, you'd need to get the CPU and motherboard together, since you can't put any new CPUs in your current socket. But yes, that would make a nice upgrade in the future.

What country are you buying in? The Ryzen 5 2600 is a good CPU, but the Ryzen 3 3100 and 3300X are often in the same price bracket with better gaming performance.

I'm from the Philippines so I'm getting my prices from online sellers. Thanks for the suggestion! I will change my target to the Ryzen 3 3100 :)

3 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Is that correct...?

Yes my storage device is a 128GB AMD SSD, I also have a backup 256 Kingston SSD

I recently ordered a 1650 super for my old hardware (basically doing the same thing as you). It's an old eMachines EL1358G (even older hardware than yours), recased to support full-height cards, and with a new PSU. My only worry is that the Motherboard BIOS might not support it.... I'll let you know after I try it out.

My plan is for my next upgrade to be MB, CPU, and RAM (all at once because compatibility), which I'm pretty sure is what @TofuHaroto means by moving to a different platform.

Also, make sure your PSU has enough wattage and enough 6/8-pin connectors for whatever card you end up getting.

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Screenshot_20200708-093349_Chrome.jpg.b74c79199115a1f0cdb898b087d7a532.jpg

Well, I'll be...  never knew.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

Just now, fordy_rounds said:

I recently ordered a 1650 super for my old hardware (basically doing the same thing as you). It's an old eMachines EL1358G (even older hardware than yours), recased to support full-height cards, and with a new PSU. My only worry is that the Motherboard BIOS might not support it.... I'll let you know after I try it out.

My plan is for my next upgrade to be MB, CPU, and RAM (all at once because compatibility), which I'm pretty sure is what @TofuHaroto means by moving to a different platform.

Also, make sure your PSU has enough wattage and enough 6/8-pin connectors for whatever card you end up getting.

Thanks! Yes, I have a 600W Thermaltake PSU so I dont think I need to upgrade this.. correct me if im mistaken.

1 minute ago, Eighjan said:

Well, I'll be...  never knew.

Yup! its an incredible SSD, I highly recommend it.

1 minute ago, Javiee2001 said:

Thanks! Yes, I have a 600W Thermaltake PSU so I dont think I need to upgrade this.. correct me if im mistaken.

I hope that it's a quality power supply, a lot of the low end thermaltake units are not so good. 600 watts is a lot of wattage so that is fine, but if you did want to get a nice power supply for your system, a 450 watt PSU does quite a good job. A friend of mine's system runs a GTX 1080 and Ryzen 5 3600 off a corsair CX 450

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Javiee2001 said:

Yup! its an incredible SSD, I highly recommend it.

Already got two Samsungs... 250GB 840 & 500GB 850 Evo

WHY NOT...?!

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I hope that it's a quality power supply, a lot of the low end thermaltake units are not so good. 600 watts is a lot of wattage so that is fine, but if you did want to get a nice power supply for your system, a 450 watt PSU does quite a good job. A friend of mine's system runs a GTX 1080 and Ryzen 5 3600 off a corsair CX 450

Thanks for the tip! I'll take note of that and consider replacing my PSU once I complete my upgrades. Appreciate the help a lot! :)

2 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Already got two Samsungs... 250GB 840 & 500GB 850 Evo

Sounds awesome! cheer x

1 minute ago, fordy_rounds said:

t's an old eMachines EL1358G (even older hardware than yours), recased to support full-height cards, and with a new PSU. My only worry is that the Motherboard BIOS might not support it.... I'll let you know after I try it out.

eMachines Desktop PC EL1358G-51W Athlon II X2 220 (2.80 GHz) 3 GB DDR3 1 TB HDD Windows 7 Home Premium

One of the most significant issues with using newer cards with older motherboards is UEFI compatibility, newer cards need to be used on a UEFI-compatible motherboard, older systems often use legacy BIOS and that's not going to work with a card that needs UEFI. Some cards have a hybrid vBIOS to work with legacy BIOS and UEFI, although it's not that common. Another concern is that these older pre-builts have motherboards that were only designed to work with certain hardware provided by the manufacturer and will simply reject other hardware.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

eMachines Desktop PC EL1358G-51W Athlon II X2 220 (2.80 GHz) 3 GB DDR3 1 TB HDD Windows 7 Home Premium

One of the most significant issues with using newer cards with older motherboards is UEFI compatibility, newer cards need to be used on a UEFI-compatible motherboard, older systems often use legacy BIOS and that's not going to work with a card that needs UEFI. Some cards have a hybrid vBIOS to work with legacy BIOS and UEFI, although it's not that common. Another concern is that these older pre-builts have motherboards that were only designed to work with certain hardware provided by the manufacturer and will simply reject other hardware.

Luckily my dad custom built these computers back when I was kid, passed em down to me which explains the hardware :) Is there a way to find out if my motherboard will be compatible with the new GPU?

7 minutes ago, Javiee2001 said:

Luckily my dad custom built these computers back when I was kid, passed em down to me which explains the hardware :) Is there a way to find out if my motherboard will be compatible with the new GPU?

Unfortunately, there's not really a way to absolutely know for sure that it will work with your motherboard (there are so many factors that may affect compatibility and it would be quite difficult to know exactly what hardware plays well together and which hardware does not on a certain motherboard, with a specific CPU, with a specific RAM configuration, etc), make sure that the motherboard is on the latest BIOS revision for best chances of compatibility (look on the manufacturer's website for BIOS updates). 

@Boomwebsearch 

4 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Unfortunately, there's not really a way to absolutely know for sure that it will work with your motherboard (there are so many factors that may affect compatibility and it would be quite difficult to know exactly what hardware plays well together and which hardware does not on a certain motherboard, with a specific CPU, with a specific RAM configuration, etc), make sure that the motherboard is on the latest BIOS revision for best chances of compatibility (look on the manufacturer's website for BIOS updates). 

Got it, thanks! Will look into this more..

1 hour ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Yep, this MB definitely has a legacy BIOS; the UEFI thing is one of my main concerns, but there's just so little info out there about it, my research failed me.

57 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Yeah, I've already checked for BIOS updates, there are none.

My card comes today. I figure I'll try it; if it works that's awesome, but worst case is it sits on my shelf for a few months until I can get a new MB/CPU/RAM. So, no big loss, other than it being a little less usable time on the warranty.

11 minutes ago, fordy_rounds said:

My card comes today. I figure I'll try it; if it works that's awesome, but worst case is it sits on my shelf for a few months until I can get a new MB/CPU/RAM. So, no big loss, other than it being a little less usable time on the warranty.

There's also the possibility for new cards to be released that may be of a better value, I would recommend returning it if possible.

12 minutes ago, fordy_rounds said:

Yeah, I've already checked for BIOS updates, there are none.

What BIOS revision are you currently on and what is the manufacturer + model of your computer?

@Boomwebsearch