Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
5GigaaHertz

What jobs that are not for red-green color blind person?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I think I have a mild red-green color blindness as what some color blindness test says. I want to pursue computer engineering but it seems it is not for me at it has electronics and I heard anything electric related is not for color blinds.

What do you think?

2 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

I think I have a mild red-green color blindness as what some color blindness test says. I want to pursue computer engineering but it seems it is not for me at it has electronics and I heard anything electric related is not for color blinds.

What do you think?

1. Get it officially tested! 2. you can do anything. It'll just be more difficult. Why would you not let yourself get a job just because you was born with something like that. There's always ways around it. 

that doesnt sound right i guess there are instances where you have to distinguish between a red and a black/yellow wire but you can still see the black/yellow wire

"Computer engineering" usually means software, and most software people barely ever touch the hardware, not an issue there.

In most places you're not going to be doing electrical installations though, but that's a completely different job.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

It is possible your color blindness could become a problem if you wanted to become an airline pilot, but don't let that test result deter you from your goals. Find something you want to do and then you will find a way to get there.

I am an electrical engineer, I have never heard about anyone being tested for color blindness in that field.

Most technical IT disciplines are usually fine for people with color blindness. In fact a couple of my colleagues are colourblind and have no real issues aside from having to make minor colouration tweaks in certain applications we use- which can usually be accommodated very easily- to make sure formatting and highlighting isn't in hues they struggle with. 

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P
Intel 6900K @4.3GHz (1.285v) | MSI X99A MPOWER | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3000MHz CL14

Custom Distro Plate | XSPC D5 PWM | Watercool Heatkiller Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | EVGA GeForce RTX2080 XC @2055MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB
2x Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | Gigabyte WBAX200 | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

I know an electrician that is colour-blind, great guy, never got any or his jobs wrong. If you give yourself boundaries to hit against then you're not going to go far. Remove that mindset and you can definitely do what you want despite your colour-blindness. 

"If I don't seem to laugh very often, it will be because I sold my soul for good money." - Me 2019

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.4GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 16GB = 8 x 2GB OCZ Gold 8-8-8-24 @1600MHz Dimms - GTX 1080 HP OEM - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD 1 x 480GB Kingston A400 SSD 1 x 1TB Seagate 7200rpm Drive - EVGA 750W GQ Gold+ Rating - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = NVidia Surround @ 75Hz - Akasa Venom R20 240 RGB Cooler & 5 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Linux Lite 5.0 (LTS 20.04)

Portable Devices: 

Dell Precision M6700 17" Workstation Laptop - Dell Latitude E6330 13" Business Laptop - Huawei Honor 9 Phone - Nintendo Switch

Screenshots of games I play

Spoiler

I am an Audiophile, therefore I share the below info with you:

Headphone set up: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro's - Little Dot Valve Pre-amp with upgraded shenanigans

Speaker Setup: 2 x Beovox 1001 speakers & Akai AM-M11 audio amp - Behringer XM8500 Microphone with UM-2 Pre-amp - Marshall Major 2 portable headphones

Homemade custom Audio: TurtleBeach Earforce X11 cans with QiGOM 260Ω 40mm drivers (Studio grade sounding now)

My old boss was color blind. One night the raid server capped itself and alerted us. Dead disk. He had to ask me which drive was dead because he couldn't tell the difference in the led status lights. My story has no point. Enjoy your evening 😜

5 hours ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

What do you think?

I know a damn good electrician that basically only sees in black and white. I can't remember which blindness he has, but you can do anything you set your mind to. It might just take a little more effort.

CPU I9-9900k, Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XI Code, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000mhz (8x4), GPU ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2070 8GB, Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, Seagate BarraCuda 3TB 7200 RPM, PSU CORSAIR RM1000i, Cooling Asus ROG RYUO 240, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic and Headphones

I don't think you'll have too much trouble, unless you get involved in redesigning traffic lights.  

So maybe avoid redesigning traffic lights.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger                        Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1                       Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G                 Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO                     Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo              MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200              16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2                    WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              MSI RTX 2080 Super            MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80Plus Gold        EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD PSU

New to the forums but have you tried asking your optometrist for color blindness corrective glasses?  That should solve your issue for the most part until the day they can repair such blindness through surgical means. 

https://enchroma.com/pages/how-enchroma-glasses-work

11 hours ago, Kilrah said:

"Computer engineering" usually means software, and most software people barely ever touch the hardware, not an issue there.

In most places you're not going to be doing electrical installations though, but that's a completely different job.

I seems i mistaken it for the ones who make computer hardware.....

10 hours ago, HM-2 said:

Most technical IT disciplines are usually fine for people with color blindness. In fact a couple of my colleagues are colourblind and have no real issues aside from having to make minor colouration tweaks in certain applications we use- which can usually be accommodated very easily- to make sure formatting and highlighting isn't in hues they struggle with. 

I seems i mistaken it for the ones who makes or handle computer hardware.....