Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ricky Lim

Just bought NVME SSD and... It overheating

Posted · Original PosterOP

so i just bought an SX8200 Pro and it's overheating everytime i boot to Windows with it and freeze the pc completely i use Asus B550F gaming wifi as the motherboard

How have you come to the conclusion that the SSD overheating is the culprit?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K (w/ TG Hydronaut) | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS Strix Z390-F | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3000MHz CL15 | Intel 660p 1TB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | WD Green 2TB | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra (w/ TG Hydronaut @ 0.95V) | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout USB-C

Displays: Alienware AW2521HF & BenQ BL2420PT

Peripherals: Steelseries Rival 600 & Logitech MX Master 3 | Ducky Shine 7 Gunmetal (Cherry MX Brown) | Sennheiser Game One | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Laptop:  Apple MacBook Pro 13" 2018 - i5-8259U | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD

How do you know the ssd was overheated?

It can be other than that. If installed properly, i don't see why it can overheat on boot?

Did you remove the protective layer from the heatsink thermal pad? If you didn't remove it it will insulate your SSD, not cool it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - GPU: Asus GTX 1080 Ti - RAM: 16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz cl16 - PSU: Corsair RMx 650W - Storage: 500 GB Samsung Evo 850 2,5" + 2 TB Samsung Evo 860 M.2 - Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 (CPU) + Raijintek Morpheus II (GPU) - Case: CoolerMaster Mastercase H500 - Fans: Noctua 2x NF-A20 (Front), 1x NF-A14 (Top back), 1x NF-F12 (Back), 2x NF-A12x15 (GPU) - Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX II - Fan Controller: Corsair Commander Pro - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Monitor: AOC AG352UCG6 Secondary Monitor: AOC 24G2 HDR-Gaming-TV: LG C9 OLED 55" - Mouse: Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro SE Wireless - Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless + Lapboard - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition 600 Ohm - Microphone: Antlion ModMic

Posted · Original PosterOP

Yes alr removed the protective layer and how I know cause when it freeze I shutdown the pc and wait for around 10 min to all of it to cooldown and tried again and the same thing happened

That doesn't answer why you know it's the SSD that's overheating, just a clue that it might be something overheating. Just because it's the last thing you added, still makes it an assumption.

Have you actually checked how hot it gets when it freezes?

10 hours ago, Ricky Lim said:

Yep touch the heatsink for a sec and it pretty much very hot

I would try it in a different m.2 slot and see if that makes a difference. 

CrystalDiskInfo should show the temperature.

I have the same SSD, without cooling it went 50+ celsius under load, that's still lower than Samsung EVO 970 Plus was...

... but I'm no expert