Need help building a PC desk

e22big

Not sure if this is a topic to post here, but I am looking to make my own PC desk with 4 Olov legs from Ikea and a slap of 140x80 cm jointwood with the thickness of 2 cm (20 mm.) I know that this is a bit too thin for Olov's screw but I can swap that out fairly easily. However, I am rather concern about the possibility of desk sagging in the middle for long term usage, do you think I should increase thickness of my desk top? By getting a none Ikea desk top I have way more choices of wood to choose from but most comes at 20 mm max and 30 mm can be expensive.

I don't put a lot of stuff on my desk, just one monitor, one monitor arm and a few speakers + mouse and keyboard, should weight less than 10 kg overall.

It really depends on how strong the particular wood plank is.

Not sure if it helps, but for reference, I've got a roughly 118x76cm (cut to fit nicely with another plank of wood and the wall in my room, hence the odd measurements) beech wood desk with a 25mm thickness and two fairly solid metal legs that go along the entire width of the plank. It's probably a little overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry. 

The monitors and keyboard sitting on it come to around 15kg and me pushing right in the middle of it with a decent bit of force results in zero flex whatsoever. 

If I had to guess, I'd say you'll be fine even with the 20mm thickness on the wood. I'm just not sure how strong those Olov legs are, as I've never really looked into them.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

It really depends on how strong the particular wood plank is.

Not sure if it helps, but for reference, I've got a roughly 118x76cm (cut to fit nicely with another plank of wood and the wall in my room, hence the odd measurements) beech wood desk with a 25mm thickness and two fairly solid metal legs that go along the entire width of the plank. It's probably a little overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry. 

The monitors and keyboard sitting on it come to around 15kg and me pushing right in the middle of it with a decent bit of force results in zero flex whatsoever. 

If I had to guess, I'd say you'll be fine even with the 20mm thickness on the wood. I'm just not sure how strong those Olov legs are, as I've never really looked into them.

I want to use a rubber jointwood, heard that it's about as hard as maple. Olov's rated at 13 kg max load. I plan to use it at only the 4 cornor of the desk like this. 

Pretty sure I will have to deal with a bit of flex but that isn't as much of an issue as desk sagging in the middle over time as this is a rather long desk with no support whatsoever in the middle. Did you use more than two leg on each lenght of your desk?

YmEzMDA2MzFiMjcwZGNjNzIwNjk4NjVjM2E5MTYxOTlponI3vP8UIj8V5VZuw7F1aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZTk1YjQ3OTAwNzkxYWRlOTM3YmIyNjkwMGNlNTUwM2I5NTY2OWIyZGVjMjhjNjM4NjI1ZjQxODUzMzRiZTFiNi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuY.jpg

3 minutes ago, e22big said:

I want to use a rubber jointwood, heard that it's about as hard as maple. Olov's rated at 13 kg max load. I plan to use it at only the 4 cornor of the desk like this. 

Pretty sure I will have to deal with a bit of flex but that isn't as much of an issue as desk sagging in the middle over time as this is a rather long desk with no support whatsoever in the middle. Did you use more than two leg on each lenght of your desk?

YmEzMDA2MzFiMjcwZGNjNzIwNjk4NjVjM2E5MTYxOTlponI3vP8UIj8V5VZuw7F1aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZTk1YjQ3OTAwNzkxYWRlOTM3YmIyNjkwMGNlNTUwM2I5NTY2OWIyZGVjMjhjNjM4NjI1ZjQxODUzMzRiZTFiNi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuY.jpg

Yeah I mean if it's just a very slight bit of flex it's really not the end of the world.

I've got two legs on each side, kind of like in this image (not my actual desk, just an image off Google):

OEM-Custom-Metal-Table-Legs-Metal-Steel-Table-Base-Metal-Table-Frame-Dining-Table-Legs.jpg.2e2287134d8cc40d3f26643c0d73a533.jpg

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Yeah I mean if it's just a very slight bit of flex it's really not the end of the world.

I've got two legs on each side, kind of like in this image (not my actual desk, just an image off Google):

OEM-Custom-Metal-Table-Legs-Metal-Steel-Table-Base-Metal-Table-Frame-Dining-Table-Legs.jpg.2e2287134d8cc40d3f26643c0d73a533.jpg

huh I see thanks, may be I'll try this out one day as I will have quite a lot of wood left from this project anyway (the actual size of my wood plank is 224 xx 122, could probably cut out a few bit to be used as leg connector)

although yours is quite a lot smaller than mine though, at less than 120 cm any chance of desk sagging is probably minimum