Unpopular opinion - CRT>LCD?

Aereldor

After watching these Digital Foundry video-

I decided to plug into an old cheap LG CRT display I had knocking around from the 90s, and boy was it good. CRT's don't have a native resolution, so unlike rendering 720p content on a 1080p panel, which causes unbearably ugly pixel stretching, running anything from 800x600 to 1440x1080

The response time is fucked up too, damn near instantaneous, especially when I subbed out my wireless MX Master for a low-latency wired mouse. And motion rendering is incomparably better, I conclude this is because a CRT doesn't just render one frame at a time using LCD's sample-and-hold technology, but renders the screen in a series of lines, often encompassing multiple frames in one pass. It also handles a higher refresh rate no prob, you can set all these manually. It's astonishing.

I thought the colour gamut would be lacking, but after some tweaking... It really wasn't. Sure, CRT monitors usually don't even cover the entire sRGB colour space, but I managed to get it adjusted to nice, natural colours. It's actually on par with a few of the worse TN panels I've used so far, although not as good as my BenQ EW2440L VA monitor, and far from the OLED panel on my laptop. But from someone used to an OLED display, calling the CRT colours acceptable after calibration is high praise.

Am I switching to CRT? Hopefully. Currently I don't live in my tiny meme NYC apartment and have the space to keep mine around. Unfortunately I'm giving my desktop to my sister, and my laptop only does HDMI out. Time to buy an HDMI to VGA adapter?

Furthermore, I'm inclined to test Ray Tracing on my 1060 through DXR, now that I can render my games at 800x600 and they still look good, and my GPU isn't even hitting 50% usage at max settings. Thinking of buying Control, Rise of the Tomb Raider, or Battlefield V to test the ray tracing, should be completely duable at a resolution that only has 10% the pixels of 1080p.

What are your thoughts. Anyone doing the Russian Counterstrike Pro setup of a CRT monitor, 80s PS2 keyboard, and a lawn chair?

Just now, NZgamer said:

CRT's are lovely but the whine hurts my ears. E-Waste from them is bad too :(

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this is a big reason I'm using my CRT - because I do NOT want to throw it out. As for the noise, I just use noise-cancelling headphones or earphones with exceptional acoustic isolation.

If u r playing for long hours then u could get a big electricity bill at the end of the month. I remember our electricity bill went down by a considerable amount when we switched from our old Sony CRT to an LCD TV.  

Just now, Shammikit said:

If u r playing for long hours then u could get a big electricity bill at the end of the month. I remember our electricity bill went down by a considerable amount when we switched from our old Sony CRT to an LCD TV.  

I currently qualify for an electricity bill subsidy by using almost no power for the better part of 2 years, so I get free electricity up to a certain point (I think September). I understand the concern though, especially when I run it at a higher resolution and refresh rate, the power draw is monstrous. I can't even plug it into a UPS without problems. 

Not an unpopular option, objectivly they are better than any LCD. 

They just have their own unique drawbacks, which make LCD more fit for the general consumer.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Not an unpopular option, objectivly they are better than any LCD. 

They just have their own unique drawbacks, which make LCD more fit for the general consumer.

Thicc girls made a comeback in the last decade, why not thicc monitors.

11 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

What are your thoughts.

i thought they were good till i wanted to sit farther away

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Thicc girls made a comeback in the last decade, why not thicc monitors.

Spoiler

EcEnknwXgAA2h1f.jpg

Now that's THICC

Dream monitor right there.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Reveal hidden contents

EcEnknwXgAA2h1f.jpg

Now that's THICC

I wanna hear from people who actually used that monstrosity, apparently it weighed over 100lbs, that stand must be made from a chunk from the international space station

I'm gonna stick with LCD. At least I can have it on the wall and thus sit more than 1m away from it. I literally can't physically do that with CRT coz they are so fat.

I used one recently and caused me migraine. It's a relic from the past.

41 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Time to buy an HDMI to VGA adapter?

You'll lose all the advantages of the CRT if you use one.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Unpopular from an environmental perspective yes! 

The shift away from CRTs was not driven by experience but a wide variety of factors, including marketing!

If you ask anyone who used to game on a CRT TV or monitor they will tell you there were great! Not perfect but certainly better than the other options until size and weight issues became too much.

In general yes an unpopular opinion, but not for all the reasons one would immediately think of.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Not really that much of an unpopular opinion. There are genuine advantages to using a CRT for some enthusiasts.

Just that for most people, there are many more reasons to dump them in favor of flatscreens and the CRT’s advantages doesn’t matter for their applications.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

Not really that much of an unpopular opinion. There are genuine advantages to using a CRT for some enthusiasts.

Just that for most people, there are many more reasons to dump them in favor of flatscreens and the CRT’s advantages doesn’t matter for their applications.

I had to do it after my last unpopular opinion thread blew up and got 200 replies and I received threats lol.

1 hour ago, NineEyeRon said:

Unpopular from an environmental perspective yes! 

The shift away from CRTs was not driven by experience but a wide variety of factors, including marketing!

If you ask anyone who used to game on a CRT TV or monitor they will tell you there were great! Not perfect but certainly better than the other options until size and weight issues became too much.

In general yes an unpopular opinion, but not for all the reasons one would immediately think of.

Well, environmentally, I think making the case for CRT monitors means people will be less inclined to throw them away. It elevates them from an artifact to a novelty to a legitimate modern option.

I remember how was 120Hz Diamondtron (or was it even 100Hz) for playing FPS games, no comoparison with 280Hz IPS Gaming monitor.
Diamondtron was better, yet the LCD's have much-much sharper image at native resoultion...

I edit my posts more often than not

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

I remember how was 120Hz Diamondtron for playing FPS games, no comoparison with 280Hz IPS Gaming monitor.
Diamondtron was better, yet the LCD's have much-much sharper image at native resoultion...

I disagree. I feel like they have a more jagged image and they don't handle motion very well. The primary user experience improvement is the improved colour gamut, power consumption, and primarily - form factor. 

Also CRT monitors don't have a native resolution, and thus look WAY better at lower resolutions. So you can run 120fps full ray tracing on like a GTX 1060 rendered at 800x600 and it looks more clear and pleasant than a 144op IPS monitor.

11 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I disagree. I feel like they have a more jagged image and they don't handle motion very well. The primary user experience improvement is the improved colour gamut, power consumption, and primarily - form factor. 

Also CRT monitors don't have a native resolution, and thus look WAY better at lower resolutions. So you can run 120fps full ray tracing on like a GTX 1060 rendered at 800x600 and it looks more clear and pleasant than a 144op IPS monitor.

LCD fixed pixels are perhaps "too sharp" if no ClearType (or any other type of aa) is used for smoothing fonts.

Without native resolution things do get blurry, as the edges are not defined sharply.

So let's agree to disagree?

http://www.displaymate.com/crtvslcd.html

4 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

LCD fixed pixeld are perhaps "too sharp" if no ClearType (or any other type of aa) is used for smoothing fonts.

Without native resolution things do get blurry, as the edges are not defined sharply.

So let's agree to disagree?

http://www.displaymate.com/crtvslcd.html

Yeah but the hard edges on an LCD panel means the lower the resolution, the more you need to invest in anti-aliasing, which makes things more demanding to run. So then you're making a case for a 900p or 720p LCD screen but anti-aliasing is important, or a high-resolution screen, which is difficult to drive.

Anyway, not going further with differences, to me the lack of any kind of ghosting on CRT might be the best feature, by design...

This thread, and a few others about CRT Ive read over the last couple months is bringing me to buy one and try it.  I had a 27" CRT (like 250 lbs lol) way back in the day.  I bought it from a pawn shop and I remember it was good for what it was, but didn't understand tech specs at all or what CRT was etc.

Imma do it and report back, time to hit up some good wills/recyclers.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Tristerin said:

This thread, and a few others about CRT Ive read over the last couple months is bringing me to buy one and try it.  I had a 27" CRT (like 250 lbs lol) way back in the day.  I bought it from a pawn shop and I remember it was good for what it was, but didn't understand tech specs at all or what CRT was etc.

Imma do it and report back, time to hit up some good wills/recyclers.

Send me a message when you get around to it

Back when LCD replaced CRT, I used to wonder what was the deal with LCD before, other than them being "flat" compared to CRT. They are slower than CRT in refresh rates, are limited to specific resolutions and what not...

Then, 2 years ago, I had use a CRT in one of my workplace and I literally couldn't use it for more than 10 minutes without my eyes hurting. Had to take constant breaks and all.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I actually have a CRT display made late into that era (in mid 2005, to be specific, so it's older than a decent amount of users here).

Up against the monitor I use for everything (a Dell 3008WFP), it just didn't have much going for it that wasn't displaying analog video from proper analog sources at 640x480. Latency was lower, but my own response time (in terms of how quickly I respond to things on screen) is pathetic, so a little bit of what my monitor has in latency doesn't affect me at all, while I also lost out on text clarity and overall visibility for extended periods of time. I'm generally not one where my eyes hurt when using most displays, but staring at text on a CRT is quite annoying and hurts after a while.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.