What can I do to make my laptop run cooler?

Go to solution Solved by Arika,

pull back your turbo boost power limits out of unlimited, i would set them back to default. you're essentially allowing the chip to use what ever power it wants until it throttles

in fact i would say to set everything back to default except the undervolt. Your IccMax numbers are more than double what they should be

image.png.7801919e300aba3a58772aafb2a61bd1.png

I got my laptop around 2 years ago and recently my temps have been soaring to new heights, although its Winter here in Australia (around 18 degrees in my room average)

I usually have Minecraft (with Forge), set to use 8gb of RAM, and Chrome with a few tabs open. Whenever I open even just Minecraft, my temps hit and stay around 85-90 degrees and my fans are constantly pinned at full blast

My laptop's specs are: i7 8550u, 16gb RAM, Intel UHD 620 (I have a Radeon 530 in this laptop but I've turned it off because it doesn't do much better than the UHD 620). 

The model is a variant of hp 15-bs1xx for reference.

I've included a photo showing the venting on the left of the laptop and my 'solution', propping it up about 5cm from the desk. Although the vents on the bottom are small, I've made sure my blocks don't cover them.

Other photo just shows my desk, in case I need to move anything around which causes the problem.

Also below I have included a screenshot of Intel XTU. I feel like that may be the problem since I have adjusted it recently but it was before I was experiencing higher than normal temps. Usually, they sit around 75-80 degrees. 

So far, I've looked into laptop cooling pads and even drilling more holes into the backplate for ventilation but I just wanted to know if there was an easier/cheaper solution. I don't mind spending a bit if it, but I'd like to save some money and I intend on keeping this laptop for a few more years (since I've upgraded the RAM from 8gb to 16gb)

If this is in the wrong section, please let me know, I'm fairly new here.

Thanks,

Mounika

IMG_5467.JPG

IMG_5468.JPG

graphics.PNG

surprisingly stable.PNG

:]

Try undervolting it if you can, it can bring down temps and also sometimes improve performance.

1 minute ago, Kxtzyy said:

Try undervolting it if you can, it can bring down temps and also sometimes improve performance.

Sorry, added my XTU screenshots on the post now :P

Oh well, thats all i could think of. idk what else you could do...

Hope you find a solution...

Just now, Kxtzyy said:

Oh well, thats all i could think of. idk what else you could do...

Hope you find a solution...

All good :)

pull back your turbo boost power limits out of unlimited, i would set them back to default. you're essentially allowing the chip to use what ever power it wants until it throttles

in fact i would say to set everything back to default except the undervolt. Your IccMax numbers are more than double what they should be

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

23 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Thank you! 

Obviously that will reduce performance, which may or may not be acceptable.

Also since you seem to say it wasn't like that, look into opening it and cleaning the dust that has most likely accumulated.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2