Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
straight_stewie

Just another C# async/await Question

PipelineItem.DoSomething() is an async Task method with an await keyword in it, so yes if you plainly invoke a PipelineItem.DoSomthing it will run asynchronously. I am not familiar with ActionBlock and it's implementation so there might something there and how you use 

testBlock.Complete();
testBlock.Completion.Wait()

Keep in mind that an async method runs code synchronously until it encounters an await keyword so

private async Task<PipeLineItem> RunIfNotCancelledAsync(Func<Task<PipelineItem>> function)
  {
    if (!_isCancelled)
      return await function();

else
      return new PipelineItem(true);
  }

runs synchronously if _isCanceled is true.

Also try to keep the method naming the same. If it's an async method add Async to ir => DoSomethingAsync() as with RunIfNotCancelledAsync

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm looking to be able to easily cancel "in progress" items that are currently in a TPL Dataflow pipeline. As such, I make my work as methods in a class which has a bool isCancelled. Therefore:

public class PipelineItem
{
  private bool _isCancelled = false;

public PipelineItem(bool cancelled)
  {
    _isCancelled = cancelled;
  }

private async Task<PipeLineItem> RunIfNotCancelledAsync(Func<Task<PipelineItem>> function)
  {
    if (!_isCancelled)
      return await function();

else
  }

public async Task<PipelineItem> DoSomething()
  {
    return await RunIfNotCancelledAsync(() => 
    {
      // Do work

return Task.FromResult(this);
    });
  }

public SomeType GetResult()
  {
    return someResult;
  }
}

The "work" is inserted into a Dataflow Block like:

ActionBlock<PipelineItem> testBlock = new ActionBlock<PipelineItem>(async workItem => await workItem.DoSomething());

And does produce the result I am expecting when called like:

PipelineItem item = new PipelineItem(false);
testBlock.Post(item);

testBlock.Complete();
testBlock.Completion.Wait();

var testResult = item.GetResult();

The majority of my question is:

Does PipelineItem.DoSomething() actually run asynchronously when called like await PipelineItem.DoSomething()?

I will never succumb to the New Cult and I reject the leadership of @Aelar_Nailo and his wicked parrot armies led by @FakeCIA and @DildorTheDecent. I will keep my eyes pure and remain dedicated to the path of the One True; IlLinusNati

I think if you have multiple PipeLineItem.DoSomething() calls and store them in variables like:

var task1 = await new PipeLineItem(false).DoSomething();
var task2 = await new PipeLineItem(false).DoSomething();

// And then when you evaluate the results, you'll find that the above was run asynchronously
var result1 = task1.Result;
var result2 = task2.Result;

It's been a little while since I've done any C#, so the above syntax may be incorrect or my understanding might be off. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Posted · Best Answer

PipelineItem.DoSomething() is an async Task method with an await keyword in it, so yes if you plainly invoke a PipelineItem.DoSomthing it will run asynchronously. I am not familiar with ActionBlock and it's implementation so there might something there and how you use 

testBlock.Complete();
testBlock.Completion.Wait()

Keep in mind that an async method runs code synchronously until it encounters an await keyword so

{
    if (!_isCancelled)
      return await function();

else
  }

runs synchronously if _isCanceled is true.

Also try to keep the method naming the same. If it's an async method add Async to ir => DoSomethingAsync() as with RunIfNotCancelledAsync

i5-4690k, R9 380 4gb, 8gb-1600MHz ram, corsair vs 550w, astrock h97m anniversary.