Ryzen 9 3000 Series (3900X) Gains Over 1st Gen Threadripper with Premiere?

I've got a Threadripper 1950X and I'm a video editor using Premiere. My workflow uses the Marker panel extensively, and on this beast of a machine, The marker panel is unusable. It's so choppy, it fights me when i try to copy the titles to the descriptions, etc. On my Macbook Pro 15" with Intel Core i9 9880H, the marker window runs... fine. Not great, but fine. Like, ultimately it's usable whereas the Threadripper build is NOT. The diff in R20 cinebench single core scores between my Macbook Pro and Threadripper is +30 points for the Macbook Pro.

So I'm apprehensive to upgrade to a 3900X because the score is only 30 points higher with such a big performance gain in the marker window, I'm wondering if its because it's AMD or because it's Threadripper, and maybe only Intel runs the marker window well, or it's a Threadripper problem specifically. Does anyone out there have a 3000 series Ryzen who can make a bunch of markers and scroll through them for me? I don't wanna spend all that money and it be an AMD thing. And also don't want to rebuild my PC and find that it was for naught.

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, desetefa said:

I've got a Threadripper 1950X and I'm a video editor using Premiere. My workflow uses the Marker panel extensively, and on this beast of a machine, The marker panel is unusable. It's so choppy, it fights me when i try to copy the titles to the descriptions, etc. On my Macbook Pro 15" with Intel Core i9 9880H, the marker window runs... fine. Not great, but fine. Like, ultimately it's usable whereas the Threadripper build is NOT. The diff in R20 cinebench single core scores between my Macbook Pro and Threadripper is +30 points for the Macbook Pro.

So I'm apprehensive to upgrade to a 3900X because the score is only 30 points higher with such a big performance gain in the marker window, I'm wondering if its because it's AMD or because it's Threadripper, and maybe only Intel runs the marker window well, or it's a Threadripper problem specifically. Does anyone out there have a 3000 series Ryzen who can make a bunch of markers and scroll through them for me? I don't wanna spend all that money and it be an AMD thing. And also don't want to rebuild my PC and find that it was for naught.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Other specs for machine?

Budget?

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Thanks!! I've got 4x8GB Quad Channel 3200MHz RAM, GeForce 1070 Founders, M.2 storage... And I know what I'd get, a 3900X with an ASUS TUF GAMING X570... It's gonna cost $700ish. I have no doubt it's gonna perform better than my current system, but Premiere is unpredictable, like you'd never expect something as simple and basic as the Marker panel to require a top of the line machine to even be able to scroll (sigh) so I'm looking to see people's experiences with Premiere, specifically the marker panel, to see if the upgrade is even worth it, or if I'll continue to experience this issue. Cause it could be an Intel/AMD thing too.

3 minutes ago, desetefa said:

Thanks!! I've got 4x8GB Quad Channel 3200MHz RAM, GeForce 1070 Founders, M.2 storage... And I know what I'd get, a 3900X with an ASUS TUF GAMING X570... It's gonna cost $700ish. I have no doubt it's gonna perform better than my current system, but Premiere is unpredictable, like you'd never expect something as simple and basic as the Marker panel to require a top of the line machine to even be able to scroll (sigh) so I'm looking to see people's experiences with Premiere, specifically the marker panel, to see if the upgrade is even worth it, or if I'll continue to experience this issue. Cause it could be an Intel/AMD thing too.

eeeh, I might actually worry about the graphics tho, and RAM

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

My Macbook Pro has a mobile GPU and 16GB RAM so I'm thinking that's probably not it. What you you think is the RAM problem?

1 minute ago, desetefa said:

My Macbook Pro has a mobile GPU and 16GB RAM so I'm thinking that's probably not it. What you you think is the RAM problem?

everyone needs at least 16GB of RAM for photo/video editing. I imaging Premiere recommends 32GB of RAM. It's a huge bottleneck for a Threadripper

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Right, I have 32GB haha, 4 sticks of 8GB

11 hours ago, desetefa said:

Right, I have 32GB haha, 4 sticks of 8GB

oh. I would get a RX 5700XT and with the leftover money sell your processor (iDk how much they go for) and get a 3900X if possible

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

12 hours ago, wall03 said:

eeeh, I might actually worry about the graphics tho, and RAM

They're fine.

12 hours ago, desetefa said:

Zen 2 would be an improvement over TR 1st Gen who suffers from a couple of things. 

If you can't. Wait for zen 3 and move to it. 

Benifits would be

Better performance and a cheaper platform. You'd be losing quad channel bandwidth ( but that shouldn't matter a whole lot ). When zen 3 releases just sell the board and the cpu and get a new zen 3 cpu and a board.

12 hours ago, desetefa said:

ASUS TUF GAMING X570

Tomahawk for around the same price will offer a whole lot more.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Unfortunately motherboards are hard to come by right now and the TUF seemed to have all I needed, I checked out a review on Tom's Hardware and it ran things on par with other high quality boards, so I'm hoping it'll work okay! It's an X570 so I will be able to upgrade if needed. Oh, I bought it last night lol I couldn't take it. And I watched Hardware Canucks videos about the 3000 series (amazing channel, very similar to LTT) and was very happy with it. Then I watched a "Three months with Ryzen" video which talked about a ton of problems and I started to sweat, then when it was done I saw the video was from 2017!! Biggest sigh of relief EVER lol.

3 minutes ago, desetefa said:

video which talked about a ton of problems and I started to sweat

That's with zen 1 which had a ton of problems.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Yeah, now I'm 20x more excited to get this new processor!