Best open back headphones for gaming AND music

Hashe

I've been researching good open back headphone choices for gaming and the bottom line is that it always came back to the dt 990 pros being my #1. I live in the uk and headphones such as the AD500x and AD700x are completely overpriced and the hd58x and hifimans arent available to buy anywhere for anything close to a good price, or any drop headphones, so im pretty much stuck with the 990s. Thing is ive heard that they're amazing for gaming but are lacking in the music listening department, which is not something i'd like to skip out on, so im wondering if there's any better choices. I'll add that ive looked at the 500 series sennheisers but the 990s just seem to be a tier above them in many ways, and also i dont actually have an amp rn, but i have the x99m killer 3.1 which has purity sound 2, which claims to be able to drive headphones up too 600ohms, and though i know thats kind of a stretch i think that it would be fine to drive headphones in the 250ohm range like the 990s, unless im wrong(an amp is out of my budget). So if thats a problem then maybe headphones that dont have as high an impedance? I've never had any experience with higher grade stuff and im using the arctis 3 rn so im not sure how picky ill be about sound, though im set in stone on open backs.

In conclusion im looking for something like the dt 990 pro but which is as good for gaming but better for music(i listened to just about every genre) and open back.

14 minutes ago, Hashe said:

I've been researching good open back headphone choices for gaming and the bottom line is that it always came back to the dt 990 pros being my #1. I live in the uk and headphones such as the AD500x and AD700x are completely overpriced and the hd58x and hifimans arent available to buy anywhere for anything close to a good price, or any drop headphones, so im pretty much stuck with the 990s. Thing is ive heard that they're amazing for gaming but are lacking in the music listening department, which is not something i'd like to skip out on, so im wondering if there's any better choices. I'll add that ive looked at the 500 series sennheisers but the 990s just seem to be a tier above them in many ways, and also i dont actually have an amp rn, but i have the x99m killer 3.1 which has purity sound 2, which claims to be able to drive headphones up too 600ohms, and though i know thats kind of a stretch i think that it would be fine to drive headphones in the 250ohm range like the 990s, unless im wrong(an amp is out of my budget). So if thats a problem then maybe headphones that dont have as high an impedance? I've never had any experience with higher grade stuff and im using the arctis 3 rn so im not sure how picky ill be about sound, though im set in stone on open backs.

In conclusion im looking for something like the dt 990 pro but which is as good for gaming but better for music(i listened to just about every genre) and open back.

Some people say the DT 990 pros are very hard to listen to music with. I think this is false. They might be bright. But they do have a fun sound to them. They are very immersive aswell. Me personally just turn down the treble if it is too overbearing. And for gaming... they are amazing. They are light and comfortable. You really should get an amp. There is a cheap one that people seem to like which is the FX audio dac x6. If you want more software and just a simpler dac/amp get the sound blaster G6. The G6 has a better dac than the X6 but I think worse amp. But the amp isn't bad on the G6.

Edit: The DT 990 pros lack a bit in the mid range frequencies. Which can be bad for music. So if I where you look for some more flat headphones or headphones that don't lack in the mid range side of things.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

6 minutes ago, Hashe said:

If you can't get an amp. Use what you have for now and save up for one. Otherwise get the DT 770 pros 80ohm. They have a pretty good bass.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

I really just have enough to get the headphones rn, but i think i could just buy them from amazon and return if i cant power them, and the 770 they were very tempting but im just completely stuck on the open back headphones. I saw some people saying that tweaking the eq could have a big difference on the sound and i might just try that and see how it goes.

Just now, Hashe said:

I really just have enough to get the headphones rn, but i think i could just buy them from amazon and return if i cant power them, and the 770 they were very tempting but im just completely stuck on the open back headphones. I saw some people saying that tweaking the eq could have a big difference on the sound and i might just try that and see how it goes.

Yeah ok. And also the motherboard dac/amp is good enough for the DT 990 pros for now. I had my DT 990s on my onboard aswell before but the difference was like night and day in some departaments. I had my EQ kinda boosted all the way with the realtek software built in, for it to get loud enough. I had my windows volume at 50%

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

What do you feel is lacking from the 990s what do you want more or less of? And what kind of music do you listen to ? What kind of gear do you use to drive them?

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

Might want to look into the SHP9500. They're only $75 and get excellent reviews from audio reviewers. 

if so then better choose X2HR

they are considered incredible for the price

5 hours ago, geo3 said:

Might want to look into the SHP9500. They're only $75 and get excellent reviews from audio reviewers. 

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

What do you feel is lacking from the 990s what do you want more or less of? And what kind of music do you listen to ? What kind of gear do you use to drive them?

3 hours ago, fred82 said:

if so then better choose X2HR

they are considered incredible for the price

I was interested in the shp 9500s and the x2hr seemed like an upgrade from those, but after seeing reviews of the x2hr it seems that they just have very strong bass and not amazing in anything else, and if the 9500s are a step below that then im not sure. The 990s have amazing imaging and great soundstage which is perfect for fps games(which is all i play), but from almost every review i've seen they say that the highs can be a bit piercing and the bass is clear and detailed but it doesnt have that mush oomph to it, with which i've also concluded that im looking for a bit more of a 'fun' sound, but which also has great imaging and a wide soundstage for games (i like a good bass). Ive also realised that im contradicting myself because the x2hr are supposedly quite fun sounding, and im still looking into them but theres a lot of different things being said about them so im unable to be certain that they'll be the right choice for me. I listen to a lot of different genres because i just add things to my playlist whenever i enjoy the song and i dont care what genre it is, but it kind of narrows down to hip hop, some pop, bit of edm, electronic, but not too much opera music. If you have any advice be sure to let me know. 

that will be my first for game too.

for X2HR they are fine overall indeed and what i say is the communauty i am in for 15 years now since i love music and i follow audiophiles tests

X2HR is the best at that level of price

But considering gaming that's something else. as u say yourself is about imaging and soundstage

then i see @Tigerleon say a lot about 990 and he is using it for gaming so i guess he got the best experience to say about

i am just surprised he is using sound card .. should be great for gaming 

but for music i have big doubts. but any experience is good to hear

8 minutes ago, Hashe said:

I was interested in the shp 9500s and the x2hr seemed like an upgrade from those, but after seeing reviews of the x2hr it seems that they just have very strong bass and not amazing in anything else, and if the 9500s are a step below that then im not sure. The 990s have amazing imaging and great soundstage which is perfect for fps games(which is all i play), but from almost every review i've seen they say that the highs can be a bit piercing and the bass is clear and detailed but it doesnt have that mush oomph to it, with which i've also concluded that im looking for a bit more of a 'fun' sound, but which also has great imaging and a wide soundstage for games (i like a good bass). Ive also realised that im contradicting myself because the x2hr are supposedly quite fun sounding, and im still looking into them but theres a lot of different things being said about them so im unable to be certain that they'll be the right choice for me. I listen to a lot of different genres because i just add things to my playlist whenever i enjoy the song and i dont care what genre it is, but it kind of narrows down to hip hop, some pop, bit of edm, electronic, but not too much opera music. If you have any advice be sure to let me know. 

do you intend for thise headphone to be a compliment or a replacement to your existing 990's cause from my experience not many headphones can really compete with the 990 or 880 in this price range for gamin. for gaming I can think og the akg k712, 702,612. and the ad 700and 900x at this price range. in your case I would just focus on music and keep the 990 and find a good music can. like the x2 hr for edm or hip hop, pop, or like a meze 99 classic 

5 minutes ago, rice guru said:

do you intend for thise headphone to be a compliment or a replacement to your existing 990's cause from my experience not many headphones can really compete with the 990 or 880 in this price range for gamin. for gaming I can think og the akg k712, 702,612. and the ad 700and 900x at this price range. in your case I would just focus on music and keep the 990 and find a good music can. like the x2 hr for edm or hip hop, pop, or like a meze 99 classic 

I might have phrased a bunch of things wrong when writing this because im just typing away without really checking, but in short i only have the steelseries arctis 3 right now and all ive done is research and more research, and what it always led me back to was that the dt990 pros were the best choice. Sorry if that was a bit misleading.

Just now, Hashe said:

I might have phrased a bunch of things wrong when writing this because im just typing away without really checking, but in short i only have the steelseries arctis 3 right now and all ive done is research and more research, and what it always led me back to was that the dt990 pros were the best choice. Sorry if that was a bit misleading.

I think they most likely are you best choice. But an amp is definitely a good recommendation after a while. You can use them without one but an amp is a good investment for 250ohm headphones.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

On 7/8/2020 at 12:17 AM, Tigerleon said:

There is a cheap one that people seem to like which is the FX audio dac x6. If you want more software and just a simpler dac/amp get the sound blaster G6. The G6 has a better dac than the X6 but I think worse amp. But the amp isn't bad on the G6

As I said before. You should look into these↑↑↑↑ when you can buy them if you end up getting the DT 990s.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

Just now, Hashe said:

ah that makes sense. the 990s are generally a hard reccomend for me even though they are the meain headphones I use. as you have previously mentionedthey are pretty harsch and need and amp to drive them . if you intend to use your motherboard and if your afraid of the 990 treble I would get these instead the beyerdynamic tygr is a low impedance beyerthats sounds pretty lovely and lacks any of the treble harshness that the 990 possesess but has a nice amount of everything else for the genres you like. 

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/tygr-300-r.html

2 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

I think they most likely are you best choice. But an amp is definitely a good recommendation after a while. You can use them without one but an amp is a good investment for 250ohm headphones.

if you do get a decent enough amp ditch the idea of gettinga 250 ohm andget a 600 ohm instead. if you buy both right away. 

He doesn't really need a 600 ohm headphones I can't see why. Also an amp can be good paired with a dac and a pair of headphones that are 32ohm.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

Thanks for the recommendation i haven't seen the tygr yet ill look into it

12 minutes ago, Hashe said:

Thanks for the recommendation i haven't seen the tygr yet ill look into it

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/team-tygr.html

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

5 minutes ago, Hashe said:

ok i think you might've sold me on the tygr's

The one I linked, It is a pretty good deal. Good usb mic and the headphones for only 271 euros. "ONLY" 271 but still a good deal.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

7 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

The one I linked, It is a pretty good deal. Good usb mic and the headphones for only 271 euros. "ONLY" 271 but still a good deal.

I happen to already have a decent mic setup so ill probably just get them off the beyerdynamic website for 140 euros, but thanks for the tip

Oh ok. Nice dude.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit