Laptop for College

So it has finally come time for me to move on to college and with the semester coming up soon, I was looking for something lighter since I will be bring this system to and from classes. So far my only real requirements are that I am able to do regular school stuff well, browse web pages, write documents, maybe throw some video watching and a bit of drawing as well. While I think I have done my research something is still bugging me. I feel that maybe there is something better that I could of gotten for school but I am still unsure. My price range is around 600$ although it is a bit flexible I'll say maybe 700$ max if there is something that is in that range that outperforms what I have gotten in every way. I'd prefer touch screen but it is not a necessity. I'd rather have a balance of performance and battery life although when push comes to shove I'd take the bit of performance.

Currently this is what I have chosen:

Lenovo Flex 5 14" with the Ryzen 5 4500U, 16gb ddr4, 256gb ssd

Let me know what thoughts you have / if there are better options. I am totally open to opinions.

TLDR:

• Chosen a laptop for college but unsure if I have a good deal
  • 600$ flexible (+/-100$) price range
  • General Use case (word doc, video browsing, regular college stuff)
  • Touchscreen preferred but not necessary
  • Performance > Battery (if it comes down to it)

13 minutes ago, DuckMan2076 said:

Lenovo Flex 5 14" with the Ryzen 5 4500U, 16gb ddr4, 256gb ssd

This is what I would have recommended

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

I had a used Thinkpad X230 in university, it was great. Great keyboard, trauma resistant and easy to repair.

Survived me smashing it with a lamp (which broke the lamp) when I had an emotional event.

I'd try to look for a X260 or something of that age.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

14 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

Two words: Used thinkpad. 

Get a Lenovo X1 carbon 3rd Gen:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lenovo+x1+carbon+3rd+gen&_sop=12&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

The one with the 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD should be fine. 

EDIT: I know you said you wanted something light but if you are willing to step up in Weight, The Eulktronics NB50TZ is a good choice if you want to upgrade your laptop. I am typing on an N950KP6 and I can wholeheartedly reccomend Their machines. However, you will need to buy a CPU, RAM, and an SSD. 

https://www.eluktronics.com/NB50TZ

While I do think a used X1 could be better, I'd rather go new rather then used and personally I haven't used Eulktronics so they scare me a bit in terms of reliability as I am not the best when it comes fixing something if it breaks.