Biggest antenna an esp8266 can handle?

Jake9821

Hey again, so I was thinking. Is there anything stopping me (hardware wise) from buying a d1 mini board, connecting it to my esp8266, then connecteing a 14dbi antenna that uses 100w? 

Or in otherwords, how many watts can an esp8266 handle in antennas? Thanks

do you want a directional antenna?

you can't really just get more powerful antenna, high gain antenna trade of gain for a directional pattern.

So i cant put a 14 dbi antenna onto an esp8266?

1 minute ago, Jake9821 said:

So i cant put a 14 dbi antenna onto an esp8266?

what is your goal here?

do you need a onmi directional antenna?

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what is your goal here?

do you need a onmi directional antenna?

Yes I would, I don't have any particular goal in mind. Other than to transmit an ssid or something over a kind of long distance (200m for example).

Just looking to see the limits of the chip really :P

Just now, Jake9821 said:

Yes I would, I don't have any particular goal in mind. Other than to transmit an ssid or something over a kind of long distance (200m for example).

Just looking to see the limits of the chip really :P

does it need to be onmidirectional? Are the ends going to move?

There are lots of directional wifi antennas, but need line of sight, and need to be aligned and not moved. 

There are other wireless standards for much longer range, but those often need fcc permits.

Yes, omnidirectional would be preferable. No the ends are not going to move.

Just now, Jake9821 said:

Yes, omnidirectional would be preferable. No the ends are not going to move.

your not getting wifi to be onmi directional and 200m while meetings fcc limits. 

1 minute ago, Jake9821 said:

well shit

what type of data are you trying to send. There are other wireless solutions made for longer range.

Or get something that is a point to point if you want to send data between 2 locationsl

An antenna is (usualy*) a passive element. a 100W antenna will only radiate the power you put into it. Like others have said, a higher gain antenna would be a good choice. If you're coming from the pcb antenna on those es8266's, an external antenna alone should give you a significant increase in performance. You could use a Wilkinson divider to connect two high gain antennas. This would give you better performance than an omni directional antenna while still giving you coverage in two directions. You will have to be careful with positioning and cable length though to avoid signal integrity issues. What exactly are you trying to do? 200 meters is already a stretch for wifi. You may be better off using a LORA system for what you are trying to do.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz