Dust Buildup with Extremely Positive Pressure?

Ginger Penguin

Hi all,

I'm currently working with my partner to build them a new system as their current system is from 2014 and preeeety sluggish. The plan was to reuse the case, PSU and GPU so I opened up the case to get a look at the cooling inside to see if anything should be updated. There was SO much dust in there despite dust filters being regularly cleaned. I don't think it had actually been opened and cleaned since the GPU was replaced in late 2016, I think. But still, I wouldn't have expected quite that much. The case is a Silverstone TJ08 with a 180mm fan up front and a 140mm fan out the back and the PSU is mounted upside-down effectively acting as an exhaust. Now, as far as I could tell (I'm pretty novice so this was supposed to be a fun project to do together), the 140mm rear fan is acting as an intake rather than exhaust which seemed off to me. I know positive air pressure is supposed to help with dust build-up but with no exhaust save for the PSU, is that a bad way to do things? My current plan would be to flip the rear fan and make it an exhaust and keep the PSU as is.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

i recommend negative pressure, as the hot air can be sucked out immediately.

With positive pressure you may risk having hot air pocket accumulated inside. 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Positive pressure IS supposed to prevent dust build up inside a case; but good overall airflow is just as important.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

15 minutes ago, W.D. Stevens said:

Now, as far as I could tell (I'm pretty novice so this was supposed to be a fun project to do together), the 140mm rear fan is acting as an intake rather than exhaust which seemed off to me. I know positive air pressure is supposed to help with dust build-up but with no exhaust save for the PSU, is that a bad way to do things? My current plan would be to flip the rear fan and make it an exhaust and keep the PSU as is.

That doesn't sound like a great set-up, initially, but the planned rectification should solve it.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

Thanks for the advice! I was planning on aiming for a balanced leaning on positive air pressure. I haven't heard anyone recommending negative pressure and honestly, I don't think the new system is going to get all that hot. It's a fairly everyday PC with some occasional light gaming so after clearing out the dust before the rebuild, I think it's probably fine to just flip that rear fan and keep the front and PSU orientation the same.

Thanks everyone!

I go for slightly positive myself. If dust is a concern, you won’t escape it. You can slow it down with filters, but you also starve your case for fresh air. Not ideal in the summer months. An air can or datavac should be on hand for dust control anyways.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Unless you are working with sealed box, there will always be some dust. Either coming from cracks and holes near exhaust fans. Or just falling in when PC is not used. So best is to look for neutral pressure and keep the actual room clean. This way the dust build-up stays at minimal and cleaning PC twice a year is enough.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If the rear 140mm is used as an intake, and there is no dust filter for that fan location, then the dust is probably coming in from there.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

6 hours ago, -rascal- said:

If the rear 140mm is used as an intake, and there is no dust filter for that fan location, then the dust is probably coming in from there.

Oh, yeah. Of course! Why didn't I think of that? Possibly because I really hadn't entertained the thought that the rear fan was an intake until I felt the air coming off of it. We're doing an interim upgrade (just adding a SATA SSD - yes, it's that slow - for now before the full upgrade in a couple of months) this weekend where I'll get rid of as much dust as I can and reverse the rear fan. Thanks for pointing that out.