RAM upgrade or SSD first?

i can get either a good ssd or 8gb more of ram which is more helpfull when it comes to gaming and everyday use in general? and how does each of these upgrades theoretically affect my experience?

my current rig:

cpu: amd ryzen r5 1400

ram: g skill cruci.. 8gb

hdd: the cheapest wd 1tb hdd

gpu: gtx 1060 3gb

mobo: ab350

so what upgrade would most improve my experience?

Go with the SSD (assuming it's the boot drive which I highly advise making)

Will improve system responsiveness. And if your a causal user, I doubt you'll start page filing with 8 gig.

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Looking at your system.. honestly both are a huge upgrade.. Ryzen depends on RAM a TON and since you're only running single channel, you are hurting your gaming performance. On the other hand, you hamper and slow down your system with only have a standard HDD in there... I think the best upgrade would be the RAM. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

9 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Looking at your system.. honestly both are a huge upgrade.. Ryzen depends on RAM a TON and since you're only running single channel, you are hurting your gaming performance. On the other hand, you hamper and slow down your system with only have a standard HDD in there... I think the best upgrade would be the RAM. 

would more speed or more amount be better and is it ok to have two different ram sticks?

11 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Go with the SSD (assuming it's the boot drive which I highly advise making)

Will improve system responsiveness. And if your a causal user, I doubt you'll start page filing with 8 gig.

how do you even move the boot disk for windows?

Just now, rinnegan72 said:

would more speed or more amount be better and is it ok to have two different ram sticks?

Depends on the speed you currently have. 1st Gen Ryzen works best with 2933-3200mhz in general for RAM speeds. You can mix/match RAM sticks/brands/speeds etc... it will all operate at the slowest of the sticks. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Depends on the speed you currently have. 1st Gen Ryzen works best with 2933-3200mhz in general for RAM speeds. You can mix/match RAM sticks/brands/speeds etc... it will all operate at the slowest of the sticks. 

good to know that i dont have to really consider the first stick when getting more for the most part.

2 minutes ago, rinnegan72 said:

You either fresh install Windows or you move your files there.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

You either fresh install Windows or you move your files there ( don't recommend it).

i get enough grief from the windows updates breaking my stuff so i probably wouldnt do that but even if i dont make the ssd my boot drive what benefits can i expect? low loading times? less chance of stutter? any benefits worth not getting more ram?

5 minutes ago, rinnegan72 said:

what benefits can i expect

Better systems responsiveness and am over all better experience

Way faster boot times as well.

6 minutes ago, rinnegan72 said:

less chance of stutter

Depends 

A lot of games have a lot of assets to load which an HDD can sometimes struggle with.

Build Log: 

18 minutes ago, rinnegan72 said:

Fresh install.

It will be a world of difference, having your OS on an SSD as opposed to an HDD. Windows 10 on a mechanical hard drive is just horrid.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Better systems responsiveness and am over all better experience

Way faster boot times as well.

Depends 

A lot of games have a lot of assets to load which an HDD can sometimes struggle with.

Not if windows isnt installed on the ssd

If you just move your games there, you won't notice much

and i doubt that you will really notice going to 16gb of ram, because the jump in everyday will be negligeble

There are possibilities to clone the windows partition over, but creating a backup and reinstalling windows is the adviceable way to do it. Just take an afternoon and do it, you wont regret it as it WILL definitely feel way snappier and responsive

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

2 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Not if windows isnt installed on the ssd

I specified to make it the boot drive.

Build Log: 

The hard drive is the single slowest component of the machine. Using a modern PC with spinning drives are like wading thru treacle with your legs tied together. Really, truly absolute garbage.

I've worked on a few brand new laptops recently, machines with reasonable specs, but having a hard disk, and even just doing general everyday tasks it felt like using a 10 year old clunker.

8GB of ram isnt ideal, but will only cause issues sometimes, with particularly demanding games.