Help with Monitor Decision

D3monw3st

Hello, 

I am looking to get a nice monitor that I can watch movies on, game on, and do my work on. I am eyeing the https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alienware-27-gaming-monitor-aw2720hf/apd/210-ATWF/ which would cost me $380. This monitor has a IPS display and at least 144 hz. 

My question is, are there better monitors for the price point or cheaper for the same quality?

Can I get a 2k monitor that I can game on w/ at least 144 hz frames?

Thank you. 

MFP (My First PC) - Mobo: MSI - X470 GAMING PRO CARBON | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 X | RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan 16 GB 3000 | STORAGE: Crucial MX500 M.2 500 GB | GPU: GTX 1080 | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C | FANS: 3 extra Noctura NF-F12 PWM 120mm | PSU: EVGA 750 W Semi-Modular 
MFL (My First Laptop) - 15 inch Mac Book Pro w/ Touch Bar 
OD (Old Desktop) - 5k iMac 27 inch

The link you sent had the price at 460$ USD. However, if you are looking for a 1440p monitor that runs 144hz i have the LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch Ultragear. Its a great monitor and right around your price point at 400$ with tax on amazon. Linus has done a review on the big brother model here. 

hope it helps

2 minutes ago, Hillmdog said:

The link you sent had the price at 460$ USD. However, if you are looking for a 1440p monitor that runs 144hz i have the LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch Ultragear. Its a great monitor and right around your price point at 400$ with tax on amazon. Linus has done a review on the big brother model here. 

hope it helps

Oh, I have a discount for the monitor that puts it at the price above. 

MFP (My First PC) - Mobo: MSI - X470 GAMING PRO CARBON | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 X | RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan 16 GB 3000 | STORAGE: Crucial MX500 M.2 500 GB | GPU: GTX 1080 | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C | FANS: 3 extra Noctura NF-F12 PWM 120mm | PSU: EVGA 750 W Semi-Modular 

2 minutes ago, D3monw3st said:

Oh, I have a discount for the monitor that puts it at the price above. 

Its a matter of what you would use the monitor for. If you buy a 240hz monitor, but can only run 160hz in games its kind of a waste. If you are looking for a higher res monitor than 1080p i would recomend going for a 144hz monitor at 1440p or 4k. 

1 minute ago, Hillmdog said:

Its a matter of what you would use the monitor for. If you buy a 240hz monitor, but can only run 160hz in games its kind of a waste. If you are looking for a higher res monitor than 1080p i would recomend going for a 144hz monitor at 1440p or 4k. 

Do you have any suggestions for a 144hz monitor at 1440p or 4k? 

Just now, D3monw3st said:

Do you have any suggestions for a 144hz monitor at 1440p or 4k? 

The LG 27GL83A-B 27 is working great for me. Asus is another brand that will have some 1440p montiors running 144hz however they are far and few to come by causing their prices to increase. My suggestion be patient and a deal can happen on a site like newegg, or look into some of the other LG

1 minute ago, Hillmdog said:

The LG 27GL83A-B 27 is working great for me. Asus is another brand that will have some 1440p montiors running 144hz however they are far and few to come by causing their prices to increase. My suggestion be patient and a deal can happen on a site like newegg, or look into some of the other LG

Gotcha, and I assume 4k 144hz is pretty expensive since it's new tech? 

Just now, D3monw3st said:

Yes, you are looking more around 700-1000$ for a 4k with decent guts. 1440p 144hz is a great combo and has several options around 300-400$USD that are good quality 

20 minutes ago, Hillmdog said:

Is the LG the best looking IPS panel in 2020 as well? 

20 hours ago, D3monw3st said:

The colors look great and the 27inch 1440p is honestly massive in my standards. Im not an expert by any means since i mainly work with servers and hardware repairs, but i is really nice. If you watch the video everything Linus says is true in my opinion. 

21 hours ago, D3monw3st said:

4k 144hz is basically impossible for the time being- Not because of the display tech, since even HDMI has caught up to 4k 144hz finally, but the GPUS- even the mighty titan RTX won't be able to stand any modern-day triple aaa with decent settings, and 4k- forget ray tracing. I don't reccomened going with 4k anyways most of the time unless it's for something such as content creation, as 4k on anything smaller than 32' is pretty useless for gaming imo, as 1440p has 2x higher ppi than 1080p, and content on displays all the way up to 20-24' in 1080p still seem pretty sharrp to me. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

20 hours ago, D3monw3st said:

I wouldn't say so. Razer's raptor has at the bare minimum one of the most beautiful 1440p 144hz panels on the market, but at $700 I think that's a little over your (any reasonable persons) budget. Otherwise Samsung's Qled IPS displays are also top-notch. Between the three I personally would pick razer, but I honestly don't mind either LG or Samsung and they all have been highly-reviewed.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU