Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello there,

 

About 30 minutes ago my PC crashed and I heard something arc inside my PC. It tried to reboot but I already smelled something burning so I just cut the power completely. Upon closer inspection I noticed the burning smell came from the GPU (GTX 1080). I took off the backplate and have been looking at it for a while now but can't find any traces of something burning. 

 

I've build this PC about 2-3 years ago and it never gave me any problems until now. The GPU doesn't look damaged but I don't wanna put it back in and have the problem get worse. I don't really have money for a new GPU atm, let alone an entirely new PC.

 

It has been a while since I removed the dust from inside (about a year ago) and I really hope it was just that. 

 

I've included a picture of the entire GPU and the area the smell was the strongest (bottom left corner of the GPU) in case it helps. I don't really wanna take of the heatsink since I don't have any thermal paste atm and I've never taken a heatsink of a GPU before so I'm kinda scared to break things even more. But if that is what has to be done I will.

 

Thank you very much in advance for reading my post.

 

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Justmeforfun

IMG_20200707_064722.jpg

IMG_20200707_064810.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Justmeforfun said:

Hello there,

 

About 30 minutes ago my PC crashed and I heard something arc inside my PC. It tried to reboot but I already smelled something burning so I just cut the power completely. Upon closer inspection I noticed the burning smell came from the GPU (GTX 1080). I took off the backplate and have been looking at it for a while now but can't find any traces of something burning. 

 

I've build this PC about 2-3 years ago and it never gave me any problems until now. The GPU doesn't look damaged but I don't wanna put it back in and have the problem get worse. I don't really have money for a new GPU atm, let alone an entirely new PC.

 

It has been a while since I removed the dust from inside (about a year ago) and I really hope it was just that. 

 

I've included a picture of the entire GPU and the area the smell was the strongest (bottom left corner of the GPU) in case it helps. I don't really wanna take of the heatsink since I don't have any thermal paste atm and I've never taken a heatsink of a GPU before so I'm kinda scared to break things even more. But if that is what has to be done I will.

 

Thank you very much in advance for reading my post.

 

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Justmeforfun

IMG_20200707_064722.jpg

IMG_20200707_064810.jpg

What is the psu you have?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, pibs said:

What is the psu you have?

I have a HX1200i from Corsair. I know it's massively overkill but they couldn't get me the psu I had ordered at the time so they just send me this one and I wasn't gonna complain about it

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Justmeforfun said:

I have a HX1200i from Corsair. I know it's massively overkill but they couldn't get me the psu I had ordered at the time so they just send me this one and I wasn't gonna complain about it

Not exactly sure what’s wrong, your gpu is definitely dead if part of it got burned. Check under the cooler if you haven’t. Also if you have a warranty maybe you can get another one. Also when it started doing this, did your pc immediately shut off or no.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the was smell a electronics burning smell or a burnt plastic smell? I agree with pibs that it is most likely dead, but there is a chance that an arc burned some of the PCB and the chips are fine. I wouldnt risk your system however. Try warranty. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
51 minutes ago, pibs said:

Not exactly sure what’s wrong, your gpu is definitely dead if part of it got burned. Check under the cooler if you haven’t. Also if you have a warranty maybe you can get another one. Also when it started doing this, did your pc immediately shut off or no.

Took the heatsink off and this is the burned area of the card. Sadly my warranty ran out a while ago :/

IMG_20200707_080007.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Justmeforfun said:

Took the heatsink off and this is the burned area of the card. Sadly my warranty ran out a while ago :/

 

IMG_20200707_080007.jpg

That really sucks man. If you have any old gpus lying around or if you have onboard graphics you can do some light gaming for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, pibs said:

That really sucks man. If you have any old gpus lying around or if you have onboard graphics you can do some light gaming for now.

This is the only GPU I got so onboard graphics it is I guess ;-;

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pibs said:

What is the psu you have?

Quick tip 

If the thread is long just please quote one word or quote and then type -Snip-

Like this 

Quote

-snip-

 

4 minutes ago, Justmeforfun said:

This is the only GPU I got so onboard graphics it is I guess ;-;

This doesn't look fixable.  Sadly there doesn't seem like there's anything to do with it.


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Justmeforfun said:

This is the only GPU I got so onboard graphics it is I guess ;-;

Try saving as much as you can. Nvidia ampere is coming soon so maybe u could eventually have a better gpu than you did before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Quick tip 

If the thread is long just please quote one word or quote and then type -Snip-

Like this 

 

This doesn't look fixable.  Sadly there doesn't seem like there's anything to do with it.

Should I even try and plug it back in to see if it works? My gut is telling not to but I'm also not an expert when it comes to this stuff

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Justmeforfun said:

Should I even try and plug it back in to see if it works

Wouldn't advise it if a mosfet is burnt or something. It'll make things worse.


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, pibs said:

Try saving as much as you can. Nvidia ampere is coming soon so maybe u could eventually have a better gpu than you did before.

Wasn't the reveal rumoured to happen in September? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Wouldn't advise it if a mosfet is burnt or something. It'll make things worse.

Then I shall not

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Justmeforfun said:

Wasn't the reveal rumoured to happen in September? 

I know its definitely this year, It should be available in 2-4 months. It’s worth waiting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, pibs said:

I know its definitely this year, It should be available in 2-4 months. It’s worth waiting.

I know it's worth the wait, all I need now is the money 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Justmeforfun said:

I know it's worth the wait, all I need now is the money 

Yeah you should have enough money by the time they release. Idk how much money you earn tho so idk. If you are able to get the 3070 or 3080 it will definitely be a big upgrade over your 1080

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Justmeforfun said:

I know it's worth the wait, all I need now is the money 

try selling this dead 1080 on eaby for maybe around 100 dollards

im sure there are people looking for salvage parts like the fans and the cooler itself.

wont hurt you to try it and if it works at least you made 100 dollars off a dead gpu 

just dont forget to mention in the title or description that is a dead gpu ;)


"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×