Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pibs

1400 dollar pc for friend

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, dizmo said:

No, he doesn't.

Those keys don't come from Microsoft. It's a third party seller selling them, just like Kinguin etc sells less-than-legitimate game keys.

Where do you think they got the keys in the first place? Did they pull them out of a hat? You can't just make up windows keys and have them work. If it works at all then at some point Microsoft sold them for a price they wanted.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pibs said:

It doesn’t matter, I did tell him that cheap windows keys are fine but he won’t accept one of them so I can’t do anything about it.

Idiots will be idiots. At least you tried.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlackManINC said:

🤔 So a 550 watt power supply for a GPU that recommends a 650 watt PSU? How is that not just asking for trouble? 

because the 2070 super doesn't actually eat anywhere near enough wattage to make it needed?

Load Power Consumption - FurMark


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Biostar X370GT7 case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, PoopThatTookAPee said:

thats the better bet, im holding up on buying a pc as well, coz im waiting for new AMD and Nvidia cards as well as Ryzen 4000. the 970 will hold up well for 1080p for now lmao.

 

also, why is 4k gaming such a necessity?

It’s not super important, he just wants to take full advantage of his monitor

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

because the 2070 super doesn't actually eat anywhere near enough wattage to make it needed?

Load Power Consumption - FurMark

🤔 Well I know about the TDP, its always two or three times lower than the recommended. People suggest power supplies based on the "actual" average power consumption, and then they almost always come back to sites like this complaining about the computer crashing under load, because they thought they had "enough". I'm also not sold on Furmark as an accurate indication or representation of how the PC as a whole will perform under load since it does almost nothing with the CPU or the ram.  


System Specs

  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    AMD RX 470
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 Well I know about the TDP, its always two or three times lower than the recommended. People suggest power supplies based on the "actual" average power consumption, and then they almost always come back to sites like this complaining about the computer crashing under load, because they thought they had "enough". I'm also not sold on Furmark as an accurate indication of how the PC as a whole will perform under load since it does almost nothing with the CPU or the ram.  

go look at actual power consumption figures yourself. they're all sub-300w on the entire system at most. nothing a good 550w or even 450w PSU can't handle.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Biostar X370GT7 case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Idiots will be idiots. At least you tried.

I understand why he doesn’t wanna get a key from a reseller, keys are sold for one tenth of the price. But most people know that they are fine if you get them from the right website.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pibs said:

I understand why he doesn’t wanna get a key from a reseller, keys are sold for one tenth of the price. But most people know that they are fine if you get them from the right website.

Yeah, as long as the website has buyer protection (like eBay) you really can't go wrong, because if it doesn't work, or the seller just made up the key, you can get a refund almost instantly. Even if the key does work, you can still say it doesn't and get a refund, but you should not do that, so other people can also get reliable keys.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pibs said:

I understand why he doesn’t wanna get a key from a reseller, keys are sold for one tenth of the price. But most people know that they are fine if you get them from the right website.

do you HAVE to activate windows at all (lmao). why not just run it with the watermark on, instead of buying it for $100+

 

the 5-15 dollar keys seem good.

 

show your friend this thread (after deleting all the comments saying why a 5$ key could be bad). if he still isnt convinced let him do what he wants XD


welcome to my potato farm

Quote

system 1: Pentium E5200, 1024 MB DDR2 Memory, 320GB 3G HDD, Intel GMA 3100 Graphics, Random Hack Motherboard and PSU

Quote

system 2: Athlon X2 250, 2048 MB DDR3 Memory, 3x500 GB 6G HDDs, Integrated Graphics, Random Hack Motherboard and PSU

Quote

system 3: in the works, waiting for Zen3 and Ampere/Big Navi :3

senpai suck my ass, we'll be together

senpai suck my ass, it will last forever

senpai suck my ass, its a sweet sensation

senpai suck my ass, these words are desperation

i dont know if you will like it

but i think that you should try its

senpai please just do this for me

some say it tastes like potpourri

                                                                          -pewdiepie, 2011

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Even if the key does work, you can still say it doesn't and get a refund, but you should not do that, so other people can also get reliable keys.

image.jpeg.0272f7b3d37371ae56fd0efcfbe1268d.jpeg
 
 

welcome to my potato farm

Quote

system 1: Pentium E5200, 1024 MB DDR2 Memory, 320GB 3G HDD, Intel GMA 3100 Graphics, Random Hack Motherboard and PSU

Quote

system 2: Athlon X2 250, 2048 MB DDR3 Memory, 3x500 GB 6G HDDs, Integrated Graphics, Random Hack Motherboard and PSU

Quote

system 3: in the works, waiting for Zen3 and Ampere/Big Navi :3

senpai suck my ass, we'll be together

senpai suck my ass, it will last forever

senpai suck my ass, its a sweet sensation

senpai suck my ass, these words are desperation

i dont know if you will like it

but i think that you should try its

senpai please just do this for me

some say it tastes like potpourri

                                                                          -pewdiepie, 2011

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

go look at actual power consumption figures yourself. they're all sub-300w on the entire system at most. nothing a good 550w or even 450w PSU can't handle.

I’m not even sure he needs a psu, he has a 600w one in his old pc but I want a new one for him because it’s like 11 years old and I wouldn’t expect it to last much longer. 550 is probably enough but 650 or more may let him upgrade to better stuff in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PoopThatTookAPee said:
image.jpeg.0272f7b3d37371ae56fd0efcfbe1268d.jpeg
 
 

Perhaps


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, PoopThatTookAPee said:

do you HAVE to activate windows at all (lmao). why not just run it with the watermark on, instead of buying it for $100+

 

the 5-15 dollar keys seem good.

 

show your friend this thread (after deleting all the comments saying why a 5$ key could be bad). if he still isnt convinced let him do what he wants XD

A watermark will be infuriating for him. He’s gonna buy a key from Microsoft no matter what people say. Also can we please stop this argument about windows? It’s not getting us anywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pibs said:

I’m not even sure he needs a psu, he has a 600w one in his old pc but I want a new one for him because it’s like 11 years old and I wouldn’t expect it to last much longer. 550 is probably enough but 650 or more may let him upgrade to better stuff in the future.

if it's that old then it's probably a better idea to replace it, though stock for PSUs are almost completely tapped out by now. you won't be needing a 650w PSU unless you're overclocking a 10900k and vega 64.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Biostar X370GT7 case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

I think I know how it works, Windows is somewhat limited without activating it, but what you’re seeming to miss is he bought an oem key which is paying for *A RESOLD OEM KEY*  

 

I know a lot of people just don’t activate it in general, but you don’t seem to have read what I have been saying in general so you clearly don’t have the right to be out here saying “you can’t be that stupid” 

Right. Which Microsoft, technically, doesn't allow.

 

From a law website:

Quote

 

If someone offers to sell you a designer handbag for $25 you can pretty much bet that you are dealing with the gray market or the black market. Same for bargain software keys. Computer manufacturers make deals with Microsoft allowing them to distribute copies of Microsoft software as a bundle with the computers they sell. They aren't allowed to resell the software without the computer. Sometimes employees or outsiders get access to the activation keys allocated to the company, and then re-sell them on warez sites. Microsoft also makes licenses available to vendors at cheaper rates in some countries, but the contract with Microsoft will forbid the resale in countries not covered by the agreement.

Laws for software licensing, copyright, and intellectual property differ widely from country to country. In the US this would almost certainly be a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and subject to criminal prosecution.

In most countries it would at least be a violation of the licensing terms and addressable by a civil suit by Microsoft.

42 minutes ago, pibs said:

Ok, I’ll tell him that it’s a better idea to buy the pc, without the graphics card and keep his 970 for a little bit, then upgrade his gpu to the 500$ gpu in the next generation.

It's the right move, he'll get substantially better performance that way.

40 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

🤔 So a 550 watt power supply for a GPU that recommends a 650 watt PSU? How is that not just asking for trouble? 

All GPUs say they require that and they never do. Most systems won't even pull more than 350 watts from the wall.

This includes under GPU/CPU load (I have a Kill-A-Watt).

39 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Where do you think they got the keys in the first place? Did they pull them out of a hat? You can't just make up windows keys and have them work. If it works at all then at some point Microsoft sold them for a price they wanted.

That's not the point, and again, clearly you can't comprehend why it's wrong.

You're using it outside of it's intended purpose, and robbing them of the full priced sale they would have gotten otherwise.

 


Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

if it's that old then it's probably a better idea to replace it, though stock for PSUs are almost completely tapped out by now. you won't be needing a 650w PSU unless you're overclocking a 10900k and vega 64.

Ok, if it works then it’s fine with him. It just needs to be a reliable psu from a good brand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dizmo said:

All GPUs say they require that and they never do. Most systems won't even pull more than 350 watts from the wall.

This includes under GPU/CPU load (I have a Kill-A-Watt).

Not required, "recommended", two entirely different things. 


System Specs

  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    AMD RX 470
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dizmo said:

You're using it outside of it's intended purpose, and robbing them of the full priced sale they would have gotten otherwise.

I'm not going to comment on the irony of using a Windows 10 key to activate Windows 10 and it be called "outside of it's intended purpose" and "robbing them of the full priced sale". This conversation is clearly not productive.


@BlueScope819 so I can see your post

#MuricaParrotGang

My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many.

If a design is taking too long, the design is wrong, and therefore, the design must be modified to accelerate progress. -Elon

Mentioned in 8/5/2020 TechLinked

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

I'm not going to comment on the irony of using a Windows 10 key to activate Windows 10 and it be called "outside of it's intended purpose" and "robbing them of the full priced sale". This conversation is clearly not productive.

Like I said. You don't understand where they come from.


Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Like I said. You don't understand where they come from.

CAN WE PLEASE STOP THE WINDOWS ARGUMENT!!! I came here for advice, not to watch an argument about something that actually doesn’t matter that much.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×