DIY Smart Mirror HELP

Hey guys. 

I've been wanting to build a smart mirror for a while now. I've never made anything like this and thought it'd be a good project to attempt as there's tones of tutorials and honestly smart mirrors are just cool as hell. 

I am having trouble with one thing though. The whole reason i'm doing this now is because my old MSI GS63VR 7RF gaming laptop has died and i'm now stripping it for parts meaning I know have a 4k IPS 15.6" Laptop screen ready to put behind some two way glass. The problem that I'm having is that I can't find a compatible LCD driver board to go between the screen and the raspberry PI. It seems to be very tricky to find a control board that will support a 40 pin connection and output 4K.

Is getting 4K to run though a raspberry pi going to be too hard or am I not looking for a the right things? Here's the screen specifications anyway. 

If someone could please point me into the right direction I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

From what I know from older Raspberries you'll need to make use of the HDMI connector and find a driverboard that takes HDMI input and outputs on a 40pin port. For 4k you'll need a Raspberry Pi 4

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

18 hours ago, Quinn Bromley said:

Hey guys. 

I've been wanting to build a smart mirror for a while now. I've never made anything like this and thought it'd be a good project to attempt as there's tones of tutorials and honestly smart mirrors are just cool as hell. 

I am having trouble with one thing though. The whole reason i'm doing this now is because my old MSI GS63VR 7RF gaming laptop has died and i'm now stripping it for parts meaning I know have a 4k IPS 15.6" Laptop screen ready to put behind some two way glass. The problem that I'm having is that I can't find a compatible LCD driver board to go between the screen and the raspberry PI. It seems to be very tricky to find a control board that will support a 40 pin connection and output 4K.

Is getting 4K to run though a raspberry pi going to be too hard or am I not looking for a the right things? Here's the screen specifications anyway. 

If someone could please point me into the right direction I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

I don't believe anything but the rpi4 will output 4k.

I did this project last year with an old 1080 monitor, the smart mirror software was relatively easy to install. However, I really wanted to use a pi zero and this was an impossible task at the time. The software simply would not run on it. I ended up using my rpi3.

I would say just get an EDP adapter that works with your monitor, even if you lose 4K. Its a smart mirror anyway, and the screen isnt that large in the first place, 4K is overkill.