New laptop stuttering in literally every heavy workload (MSI GF63 Thin 9RCX) GPU drops to 0% & CPU usage also

ZephM

Hello everybody I'm writing this thread in hope to find a fix for my MSI GF63 Thin 9RCX laptop which have been bothering me since I bought it. Stuttering in almost everything except low end games. I've posted a similar thread in tomshardware and I found out that I had corrupted sectors on my HDD so I replaced it but still nothing which means that wasn't the issue at all. Everytime I go into any demanding-ish game the laptop just stutters every few secs the game freezes and gpu usage drops all the way down and also cpu usage here are the MSI afterburner results :
Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

As you can see there are some major drops which I don't even why they happen. I have modified the power limits in the BIOS which got the laptop very hot and started thermal throttling so I undid them and again even with the 25w pl limit that MSI has this should work just fine even if the performance / fps is not as high as you might expect and not cause this random stutter. I've watched people game on this laptop and it was just fine running smoothly.

Gameplay & Testing:
GTA 5 : 
CPU Undervolt: -120 

GPU overclock +200 core & +400 memory clock
Fans maxed out:
gta v
Just cause 3 : 
Stock settings 
no undervolt or overclock :
video JC3

SPECS :

Product Name: MSI GF63 Thin 9RCX
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
Ram/Memory: 1x8 gb (8192 MB @ 1333 MHz, DDR4-2667, Samsung M471A1K43CB1-CTD)
HDD: Segate ST1000LM049-2GH172 - 1TB 7200 RPM drive
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4096 MB GDD5

This even happens sometimes in youtube videos when I'm watching sometimes the video freezes for a split second then restores it self and sometimes it can even make the image look pixelated for a split second then restores. I don't know what's causing this but if you have an Idea please tell me I saved a lot of money for this laptop I'm suspecting that it could be the ram but I'm not sure because again I saw people use the same configuration just fine. Even when scrolling a page in chrome sometimes it freezes for a very very small amount of time then restores it self. I've tried everything I really hope to fix this.

Thanks looking forward for your responses.

the machine appears to be running overly hot so I'd imagine almost nothing would be very stable or run well at such temps.

the laptop appears to be geared more toward being a thin laptop and not a cool running laptop which shows in it's cooling ability.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

the machine appears to be running overly hot so I'd imagine almost nothing would be very stable or run well at such temps.

the laptop appears to be geared more toward being a thin laptop and not a cool running laptop which shows in it's cooling ability.

Thing is I undervolted the CPU down to 200mv and the gpu also with a custom curve and they were both barely hitting 70c and it still drops in almost everything. Again if you read what I said this also happens in yt videos sometimes and also when scrolling pages

2 minutes ago, ZephM said:

Again if you read what I said

ah my mistake , i didnt see the part where you listed it's current temps at 70c max instead of the 3 90c+ graphs you attached. my mistake.

3 minutes ago, ZephM said:

also happens in yt videos sometimes and also when scrolling pages

thats pretty normal for youtube and most browsers , it's web based content highly dependent on servers and software. Nobody on earth has a 100% error free experience browsing the web or youtube. I'd focus more on something that can actually be testable like local games/benchmarks

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

ah my mistake , i didnt see the part where you listed it's current temps at 70c max instead of the 3 90c+ graphs you attached. my mistake.

thats pretty normal for youtube and most browsers , it's web based content highly dependent on servers and software. Nobody on earth has a 100% error free experience browsing the web or youtube. I'd focus more on something that can actually be testable like local games/benchmarks

It's cool but I really don't know a good way to pin down what's exactly causing it, it def couldn't be power limit because I saw youtubers have the same exact laptop and game on it just fine. And with youtube freezing I mean like the video literally stops in the middle when it already fully downloaded and it happens for a very small amount of time also on streaming services like crunchy roll / netflix etc if you watch the video you'll see what kind of stutter I get. and this doesn't happen in low demanding games like Roblox and rarely happens in Asseto corsa.

2 minutes ago, ZephM said:

It's cool but I really don't know a good way to pin down what's exactly causing it, it def couldn't be power limit because I saw youtubers have the same exact laptop and game on it just fine. And with youtube freezing I mean like the video literally stops in the middle when it already fully downloaded and it happens for a very small amount of time also on streaming services like crunchy roll / netflix etc if you watch the video you'll see what kind of stutter I get. and this doesn't happen in low demanding games like Roblox and rarely happens in Asseto corsa.

That doesn't even happen on my pentium laptop

23 minutes ago, ZephM said:

been bothering me since I bought it.

is there any reason it wasn't returned right away?

Just now, emosun said:

is there any reason it wasn't returned right away?

Because I spent all my time troubleshooting it and I can't return it. I found issues with the HDD so I replaced it under warranty and still nothing.

More than likely the computer just has issues fundamentally with the software be it the os or drivers it uses. Either an update screwed it up or a driver clashed with another driver. With laptops the software is far more proprietary so when something clashes with something else it can cripple the machine , and with very few users actually using the exact hardware config you have it doesn't get diagnosed and patched by the manufacturer.

As for others using it just fine , i'm more than willing to bet it's videos of the machine working from weeks or months ago before the machine had the software problems to begin with.

If i were in your position I wouldn't bother diagnosing the problem. I'd just reinstall windows and try to decrapify it as much as possible. find a set of drivers the machine seems stable on , and prevent them from changing or updating in the windows settings. as for windows itself getting updates you're pretty much at the whim of micrsoft there.

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

More than likely the computer just has issues fundamentally with the software be it the os or drivers it uses. Either an update screwed it up or a driver clashed with another driver. With laptops the software is far more proprietary so when something clashes with something else it can cripple the machine , and with very few users actually using the exact hardware config you have it doesn't get diagnosed and patched by the manufacturer.

As for others using it just fine , i'm more than willing to bet it's videos of the machine working from weeks or months ago before the machine had the software problems to begin with.

If i were in your position I wouldn't bother diagnosing the problem. I'd just reinstall windows and try to decrapify it as much as possible. find a set of drivers the machine seems stable on , and prevent them from changing or updating in the windows settings. as for windows itself getting updates you're pretty much at the whim of micrsoft there.

Already tried OS vers from 1809 to 2004 and really still nothing. Nvidia released quite few updates on their gpu drivers none of them fix my issue perhaps this could be something in the bios or a problem with msi utility it self I'm not sure I've contacted msi even though I'm sure their helpless support team won't do anything about it.

anyone got any other ideas to know what's causing this