Multiple Freeze Ups, Requires Reboot, Usually Goes Away By Itself

Cassy95

Hey forums! I have a problem that I want to describe and hopefully someone here has some insights.

This problem occurs whenever power to my computer is cut either through a power out or if I unplug the computer myself. When I power the computer back up it works fine, but will eventually just completely freeze up as in the picture on the monitor freezes, keyboard and mouse inputs are not recognized, and random inputs such as turning on and off the Caps lock don't register (I tell this by observing if the caps lock led indicator on the keyboard lights up or not). The time the computer is powered on seems to be random before the freeze up happens, but does seem to happen faster if I am running a game or something that is more demanding of the computer's resources. The other kicker is that this issue usually seems to go away by itself, after suffering through half a dozen or so freezes and letting the computer sit overnight the problem typically goes away.

I believe its hardware related because this problem occurred before and after I did a complete wipe and reinstalled my OS.

I suspect the PSU currently; I don't have any hard evidence, but since it really only seems to occur after power had been removed to the PC that it must be something power related. My PSU is a EVGA P2 1000W and I have the Eco Mode set to off.

Just for good measure, the temperatures on the CPU and GPU are well below tolerance when this happens.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

I have thoughts.  Whether they have any value or not is another question.

a barely functional PSU is one possibility I guess.  Another thought is a subtle memory problem.  A third is the cmos battery.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I have thoughts.  Whether they have any value or not is another question.

a barely functional PSU is one possibility I guess.  Another thought is a subtle memory problem.  A third is the cmos battery.

So I did once, last night, get a BSOD that said memory error. I usually never get a BSOD with this problem so I pursued this and ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic test, which detected no problems. I can try turning off the xtreme memory profile and see if that helps.

I might try buying a PSU to swap it out and see if the computer is stable then.

Edit: I should add this is a relatively new computer that is only a year old. You could say that I have been having these issues since day one.

4 minutes ago, Cassy95 said:

So I did once, last night, get a BSOD that said memory error. I usually never get a BSOD with this problem so I pursued this and ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic test, which detected no problems. I can try turning off the xtreme memory profile and see if that helps.

I might try buying a PSU to swap it out and see if the computer is stable then.

Edit: I should add this is a relatively new computer that is only a year old. You could say that I have been having these issues since day one.

Sadly The diagnostic memory test is not definitive.  It can throw false negatives.  There can be subtle problems it doesn’t detect.  The old school method is to put a single stick in slot one and see if the problem goes away.  They need to be used for a while to see if it works.  It’s very time consuming.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.