Under performance and utlization issue

Michael1235

I very recently (yesterday) replaced my old 1050 ti with an RTX 2070 (gigabyte windforce 2x) to go with the Ryzen 5 2600. I went into multiple different games to try and experience the exhilarating new performance, only to find that in most of them, the fps had only improved very slightly, another thing i noticed through multiple programs was that in these low fps games, there didn't seem to be any component above 55% utilization. This got me quite confused, so i looked around and i have tried absolutely everything i could find to fix the issue, but still nothing seams to have worked. The biggest increase came from setting the pcie gen to 3 from auto in the bios (apperently it can set new gpu to gen 2 for some reason), but in unigine heave, it only gave an average fps increase by 10fps.

Other specs ? 

Ddu the drivers 

Temps ? 

Set the power limit for the GPU to max.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Cpu: Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: Gigabyte B450m gaming
Psu: Corsair vs650 80+ bronze
Ram: Trident z rgb 2x8gb 3200mhz
Gpu: gigabyte rtx 2070 windforce 2x 8gb

reinstalled drivers multiple times and reinstalled windows

temps during the benchmarks reached 78c

power and temp limit are locked and at max

That's one low-end power supply powering a high end system. Id strongly advise upgrading it before you end up with magic smoke.

Update your BIOS, chipset drivers, video drivers and make sure you aren't running some shit windows power plan or power saving feature.

4 minutes ago, Michael1235 said:

reinstalled drivers multiple times and reinstalled windows

Use ddu don't manually do it.

Enable xmp / docp.  And set the power limit to max.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

All the bios and drivers and everything are up to date and its on high performance power plan.~

low end in terms of watts?

i did use ddu to do it and its got xmp on

9 minutes ago, Michael1235 said:

All the bios and drivers and everything are up to date and its on high performance power plan.~

low end in terms of watts?

Low end in terms of quality.  The wattage is fine, it's the efficiency and quality of the unit that isn't the best for your system.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Corsair TX750M 80+ gold?

Edit: or 650 if the wattage is fine. (i know i'm trying to go for cheaper ones but surely 80+ gold is good)

Also do you think that is the bottle neck of the system?

10 minutes ago, Michael1235 said:

Corsair TX750M 80+ gold?

Edit: or 650 if the wattage is fine. (i know i'm trying to go for cheaper ones but surely 80+ gold is good)

Also do you think that is the bottle neck of the system?

The power supply is fine. Unless your going to be using over 85% of your power-supplies max wattage a lot of the time, you don't need anything better than 80+ Bronze

2 minutes ago, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

you don't need anything better than 80+ Bronze

Efficiency is not quality and this is a group regulated unit afaik which is meh at best. Especially for a system like this.

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

Efficiency is not quality and this is a group regulated unit afaik which is meh at best. Especially for a system like this.

It's a ryzen 5 and a 2070. The power-supply seems perfectly reasonable to me. Unless it's actually ancient, it won't randomly smoke you.

Just now, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

The power-supply seems perfectly reasonable to me.

How did you come up with this conclusion ?

Just now, KingTdiGGiTTy said:

it won't randomly smoke you.

That still doesn't take away from the fact that it's subpart for this build.

Build Log: 

Guys the Psu is clearly not his issue. He got your point. If he wants to know more about his Psu quality issue, he can search for information himself. 

So many replies and not one of them was helpful towards his issue... 

Rant over and actually replying:

Psu can't really bottleneck a system. 650w is plenty enough too. 

What he means is that the corsair Psu you have is just low quality in general and if might fry your system at some point (although I'd say I'd it's not 10 years old that's very unlikely to happen). 

Also the maximum overclock might not be as stable as with a high end Psu. The voltages, ripple etc are not as good. 

Anyway, that got nothing to do with your performance issues! 

I wonder if your cpu is limiting. Yes, it's not used to 100%, not even a single core. 

But windows is shuffling the load in the cores around and you simply can't see the single thread performance limit. 

If you could measure cpu load at the cpu frequency. So 4 GHz for example, you would see each core being either at 100% or at 0%.

CPUs can't run "only at half load". It's always an average. 

They either calculate something or they don't. 

So if you have 8 cores and the game you're running runs on 2 threads, only 2 cores can be used at the same time. 

So maximum cpu load would be 100% divided by 8 = 12.5% per core. 

X2 = 25% maximum overall cpu load. 

Windows is so good at scheduling though, that you'll probably see around 40% overall cpu load. 

That's likely due to the next scheduled core caching something in preparation for its turn. 

Can you download the latest msi kombustor version (4.1.6 from geeks3d) and just run the benchmark - preset 1080 without adjusting anything? 

I have a gtx 1070 and my result is 2339 points / 38 fps. 

Also this will show you the graphics cars load at the bottom. 

It should show 99%! 

This is the most important thing to get here actually. Doing a basically only gpu stressing benchmark and seeing if the gpu will be used to full extend (99% is full load!). 

About cpu limit:

In general, if you don't have an fps limit active (vsync or a fps limiter), if the graphics card isn't at 90% or more load, it's your cpu limiting. 

Sadly all the cores of today's cpu's aren't used in most games. 

So apart from having headroom, 4 cores or 10 cores barely make a difference. 

Games like assassin's creed origins and odyssey however can use 8 cores pretty well! 

Hope that helps! 

So overclocking the cpu or having a faster cpu in general is what i need for better fps?
Is that why the new intel cpu's boost much higher on only a few cores, the ones that would be used by the game?

Edit: I'm not sure if you're aware, but a person used a cmd shortcut to run fortnite with a different affinity than normal, it could be calculated for each different cpu. Is that getting the game to use more than just 4 cores or whatever? 

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

3 hours ago, Michael1235 said:

So overclocking the cpu or having a faster cpu in general is what i need for better fps?
Is that why the new intel cpu's boost much higher on only a few cores, the ones that would be used by the game?

Edit: I'm not sure if you're aware, but a person used a cmd shortcut to run fortnite with a different affinity than normal, it could be calculated for each different cpu. Is that getting the game to use more than just 4 cores or whatever? 

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

1. Gpu load looks good in kombustor so everything should be working fine. 

2. Gpu frequency looks good with 1725. Although these cards can run 2000 when overclocking. But since you don't get full gpu load in your games, no oc is needed here! 

3. The boosting has nothing to do with this single thread performance limit. On Intel, all cores will boost after another. But there's a small latency for boosting up, which is why overclocking all cores to the same frequency mostly gives better and smoother fps. 

But yes in theory, as I explained in my first post, you could boost 2 cores for the 2 game threads and clock down the "not so highly loaded" cores. 

Actually amd cpu's tend to do this. 

So on intel you'll see the frequencies for all cores going up and down, while Taskmanager will show pretty evenly spreaded load across all cores. 

On amd cpu's you might often see a few cores constantly being loaded and boosting, while other cores are constantly down clocked and not really used. 

Sadly there's no tool that will show you when you're hitting the single thread limit of your cpu. You only see averages. 

But as I mentioned, with 8 cores (cpu threads), you might be already at the limit at 12.5% overall cpu load. 

Depending on how much this is averaged, you might see only 5% load on all cores. 

Still cpu limited! Crazy, isn't it... 

4. Fortnite: I don't play it, so no clue about the cmd stuff working. Also the affinity doesn't do anything. It just tells windows which cores not to use for that game. 

But from using only 4 cores instead of 8, your game won't magically use 4 cores instead of only 2.

I never saw an improvement by telling windows how to do stuff. 

Only if there's a bug in the game regarding smt or hyperthreading, setting the affinity to core 1/3/5/7 only helped a lot. 

Or you go into the bios and disable smt or ht. 

5. Higher Single thread performance helps though. The latest amd 3xxx beat the non overclocked Intels in 1 thread scenarios but sadly the AMDs clock down if you use more cores. 

While on Intel it's pretty easy to overclock all cores to constantly boost to the maximum. 

That's why you see Intel cpu's being better for most games. 

Only in games where you can really use all cores, amd will be better sometimes. 

But AMDs are using less power and are cheaper so you get more for your money. 

For maximum fps though, intel is the way to go, sadly. 

6. What fps are you getting in your games? You only said the performance would be "not good". 

What exactly does this mean? 40 fps in fortnite? (that would be bad). 100 fps in battlefield 5? (that would be awesome). 

We need more info!

7. In general your ryzen 2600 should be enough for all games. Depending on what's enough for you of course! 

My main games are racing simulations. You want 90 fps or more in these due to the high speeds. Due to being "simulations", the cpu has to do a lot of physics. 

Due to being a niche hobby, the simulations aren't optimized so mostly running on 2-3 threads. 

Meaning a 4 core cpu is mostly fine for them and you just need to overclock your cpu to the maximum. 

That's why I know so much about this damn single thread performance... 

5 hours ago, Michael1235 said:

1-So overclocking the cpu or having a faster cpu in general is what i need for better fps?
2-Is that why the new intel cpu's boost much higher on only a few cores, the ones that would be used by the game?

1- Yes to a certain point...but then there is also the game optimization, some games simply won't run at the super high FPS either by design or by poor code.

2- Yes, higher core clock is one of the ways to make a CPU faster.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Across games it is very varied, fortnite uncapped fps is getting 20-100fps more, while games like cities skylines and gtav are getting staying the same or getting no more than 10fps more (i thought it might have something to do with memory in those games though, because they are supposed to be memory intensive i think.) 

In warzone with dxr off i get ~120fps

Also i'm going to overclock it then, but
1: Should i only do it for the first 4 cores, all cores, or the first ccx group
2: I want to start with a voltage and then move the clock up, so what is fair voltage that wont be SUPER hot or whatever (so not 1.4)?

The fps don't sound too bad then. But yeah, looks like your 1050 ti wasn't such a massive bottleneck then. 

What's your resolution btw? Resolution basically only causes load on the graphics card so if you're on 1920x1080, a 2070 is a beast and the 2600 will almost always be the bottleneck. 

I'm playing at 3440x1440 and my 1070 is crying for help, while my new 10600k is cruising around. 

All games set to run between 60-90 fps. 

About overclocking your ryzen cpu:

Sadly I can't help.. Just watch some YouTube videos from the big and good channels. 

However what I would recommend first:

Go into your windows powerplan and set the maximum cpu level to 80%.

I guess you have min and max at 100% and are in the high performance power plan? 

Reduce min and max to 80% and compare your fps. 

Your cpu frequency should be a bit lower and if you are really cpu limited (and not something else just screwing up or being incorrectly set up), your fps should be about 20% lower. 

Maybe play around with that power plan setting. Try 70%, then back to 100%.

If your fps match what you set, it's definitely a cpu limit. 

If your fps stay the same, there's some issue with your system not using your hardware correctly. 

This is a good way to test something in general by the way. 

Instead of overclocking and searching for an improvement, simply downclock one part and see if the performance goes down. 

No stability issues or heat problems this way :)