Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alex-Tech Dojo

Best Cherry MX Switch for my Ducky Mecha Mini

Posted · Original PosterOP

So... 

Im going to buy the ducky Mecha Mini and sadly, its not offered in a hot-swap version, so ill have to choose cherry switches (MX Blue, brown, red, black, silent red, speed silver)

So i like linear and tactile...

So please tell me your opinions on which of these swtiches are smooth and worth typing on...

THX

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, gloop said:

Buy a switch tester, find your favourites and buy accordingly. 

thx...

im asking cause ik that lots of people are shitting on cherry so i just wanna know if mx switches are a good choice

If you really want that keyboard, and also want smooth switches, get the cheapest switch option, and then just desolder and replace the switches. A few decent stock linear options would be custom Durock/JWK linears (Alpaca, Marshmallow etc), Gateron Ink, Kailh Cream and Tealios. For tactile switches, there's e.g. Durock T1 variants and Zealios

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

Hey there.

4 minutes ago, Alex-Tech Dojo said:

i just wanna know if mx switches are a good choice

Hm... I hesitate to call Cherry MXs "good," but I don't think they're "bad," either. The general consensus is that there are always better choices than Cherry MX's, both in terms of price-to-typing performance/experience and product quality.

15 minutes ago, Alex-Tech Dojo said:

So i like linear and tactile...

So please tell me your opinions on which of these swtiches are smooth and worth typing on...

You'll probably be looking at the Browns (Tactile), Reds (Linear), Silent Reds (Linear), and Speed Silvers (Linear), then.

• Cherry MX Brown: Tactile. Rather, "tactile." The tactile bump isn't very pronounced, and can feel very dissatisfying for some people.
  • Cherry MX Red: Linear. Keystrokes are smooth (relative to Browns) on the bottom out and up stroke.
  • Cherry MX Silent Red: Linear. Quieter than the default Reds, but otherwise identical. They have dampeners inside the switch that cushion the impact and sound of a keystroke.
  • Cherry MX Speed Silver: Linear. Shorter travel distance than the default Reds, but otherwise identical. Quite sensitive to actuation, might or might not lead to some accidental mistypes.

If you aren't happy with your switches, though, you could always swap 'em out for others -- I believe the Ducky Mecha Mini uses plate-mounted switches -- you'll just have to do a bit of soldering.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksAn Introduction to Custom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub