[HELP] Default FTP Server IP keeps changing (IIS)

Mr.Stork

I have made my HDD a FTP server with the help of Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager App which comes default with windows. When I turn on my pc, the server starts up, and I can access my files through wifi (router). I just have simply set it up so anonymous users can join. So people with my wifi access can join. I only use it for copying and deleting data from my phone. I do not have a Laptop.

I have noticed I can change the port but I can't change the ip to anyother than the one windows keeps as default which was 192.168.0.108.

\/

Now the thing is, I've noticed for the past few days, I can't randomly connect to the ftp. So, I check the binding dropdown and sure enough it has changed to 192.168.0.105 at the last. It was also 106 a few days ago.

After, making it 105 (the new default), I can connect to the site albeit by changing the ip.

/\

Why is it changing randomly? It's not related to restarts either. Somedays I restart and still can access the old ip. And it just changes randomly, it's such a nuisence to change it for every single ftp I have. I don't think it's a router issue, because I can temporarly fix it without going to router settings.

How can I fix this changing issue? Do you have any other local FTP recommendations which are better than this setup? Because this doesn't seem like the best setup.

image.png.1042f8b2cebe5ad73cdd835cc96dda22.png

5 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

I have made my HDD a FTP server with the help of Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager App which comes default with windows. When I turn on my pc, the server starts up, and I can access my files through wifi (router). I just have simply set it up so anonymous users can join. So people with my wifi access can join. I only use it for copying and deleting data from my phone. I do not have a Laptop.

I have noticed I can change the port but I can't change the ip to anyother than the one windows keeps as default which was 192.168.0.108.

\/

Now the thing is, I've noticed for the past few days, I can't randomly connect to the ftp. So, I check the binding dropdown and sure enough it has changed to 192.168.0.105 at the last. It was also 106 a few days ago.

After, making it 105 (the new default), I can connect to the site albeit by changing the ip.

/\

Why is it changing randomly? It's not related to restarts either. Somedays I restart and still can access the old ip. And it just changes randomly, it's such a nuisence to change it for every single ftp I have. I don't think it's a router issue, because I can temporarly fix it without going to router settings.

How can I fix this changing issue? Do you have any other local FTP recommendations which are better than this setup? Because this doesn't seem like the best setup.

image.png.1042f8b2cebe5ad73cdd835cc96dda22.png

https://filezilla-project.org/

Has server and client capabilities. 

maybe the server is using DHCP to get the ip address.

Dynamic IP assignment may change if the router is rebooted or the lease if expired.

You should manually assign the IP in the router OR in the network properties.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

22 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

maybe the server is using DHCP to get the ip address.

Dynamic IP assignment may change if the router is rebooted or the lease if expired.

You should manually assign the IP in the router OR in the network properties.

Can you please show me how to do it?

image.png.85fee5c581a38bf0244561ab42c34d43.png

Network and sharing center > Change adapter settings > right click on the adapter > double click IPv4

Use the following IP Address:
- IP Address : this is the ip of the pc, you can set the last segment part to whatever number you like from 1 to 255. I choose 50 because it's easy to remember, and i know that number won't be used by other device, now for your IP address it should be 192.168.0.50, the third segment should be the same as your router ip (0, mine is 100).

- subnet mask : 255.255.255.0

- Default gateway : the router IP address. 192.168.0.1

DNS server, you can set it to the router IP address AND OR 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare) and 8.8.8.8 (google).

after you set this, the PC ip address should be static, it will not change.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

On 7/7/2020 at 2:41 AM, SupaKomputa said:

image.png.85fee5c581a38bf0244561ab42c34d43.png

Network and sharing center > Change adapter settings > right click on the adapter > double click IPv4

Use the following IP Address:
- IP Address : this is the ip of the pc, you can set the last segment part to whatever number you like from 1 to 255. I choose 50 because it's easy to remember, and i know that number won't be used by other device, now for your IP address it should be 192.168.0.50, the third segment should be the same as your router ip (0, mine is 100).

- subnet mask : 255.255.255.0

- Default gateway : the router IP address. 192.168.0.1

DNS server, you can set it to the router IP address AND OR 1.1.1.1 (cloudflare) and 8.8.8.8 (google).

after you set this, the PC ip address should be static, it will not change.

Okay so it seems to be causing some issues, it was working for a few days but, now I when I start up my pc, the internet connection is not there. Says no ethernet connected, even if it is. So, sometimes disabling and enabling the connection works, but today nothing worked. So I just went back and selected "pick ip address automatically" and as I hit okay. My interenet is right back up! But as you expect, ftp server just stopped working. So..

On 7/6/2020 at 11:15 PM, Nano Adam said:

I'll be downloading and seeing if this works any better...

On 7/6/2020 at 11:15 PM, Nano Adam said:

It is showing me VIRUS, YES I have downloaded it from the Official site!

Check for yourself! https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client#close and then select the free version. This is so sketchy!

Their own website sharing malicious software, jeez.

I ran it thru virus total, and the community there seems concrned as well:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c20bbc4dfbb2e5de492af332c5fbd7b180d243c01fb97bfbff2a4cae63c5b166/community

My Bitdefender immideatily deleted it, so I checked. How do....recommend me somehing else. (Which doesn't have a virus)

Omg, enter your router configuration, find DHCP reservation and add one entry. And your internal IP will be the same all the time.

If you have TP Link router you can also, as alternative, add ARP Binding entry.

6 hours ago, Mr.Stork said:

It is showing me VIRUS, YES I have downloaded it from the Official site!

Check for yourself! https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client#close and then select the free version. This is so sketchy!

Their own website sharing malicious software, jeez.

I ran it thru virus total, and the community there seems concrned as well:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/c20bbc4dfbb2e5de492af332c5fbd7b180d243c01fb97bfbff2a4cae63c5b166/community

My Bitdefender immideatily deleted it, so I checked. How do....recommend me somehing else. (Which doesn't have a virus)

No idea why. I use filezilla all the time as a FTP client. I use it on a Mac, and no issues.