what does a motherboard coil look like?

Hi I have coil whine with some part of my pc and can't figure out if its my gpu or mobo I don't think its coming from the gpu as when I switch cards the noise persists. I don't know what a coil looks like on a mobo so any help would be great 

Edit: if its any help I have a h310 m r2.0

6 minutes ago, nextraff said:

Hi I have coil whine with some part of my pc and can't figure out if its my gpu or mobo I don't think its coming from the gpu as when I switch cards the noise persists. I don't know what a coil looks like on a mobo so any help would be great 

Edit: if its any help I have a h310 m r2.0

The highlighted objects in this image are coils. They tend to be sealed these days.
image.thumb.png.75603d03633c31189ef2af1b29791ae5.png

3 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

The highlighted objects in this image are coils. They tend to be sealed these days.
image.thumb.png.75603d03633c31189ef2af1b29791ae5.png

Can the circular caps underneath the 16x slot make sound?

1 minute ago, nextraff said:

Can the circular caps underneath the 16x slot make sound?

I would hope not - if they are then you have bigger problems ;) 

10 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

I would hope not - if they are then you have bigger problems ;) 

If its coming from the mobo should the pitch change as I move the mouse?

Just now, nextraff said:

If its coming from the mobo should the pitch change as I move the mouse?

Are you sure this sound is not coming from your speakers or internal speaker/sounder? It's a common effect cause by bad grounding within the system.

1 minute ago, TehDwonz said:

Are you sure this sound is not coming from your speakers or internal speaker/sounder? It's a common effect cause by bad grounding within the system.

How do I check this?

Could the installation of a new copy cooler have caused this?

15 minutes ago, nextraff said:

How do I check this?

Put your ear next to your speakers? If it's not coming from an audio source, and it is coils, it will be the ones around your CPU if the mouse moving alters the pitch. I can't really help beyond that as I don't have physical access to the machine. The only thing you could really do is sound-proof the PC case a bit.

14 minutes ago, nextraff said:

Could the installation of a new copy cooler have caused this?

What is a copy cooler?

disregard

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

5 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

What is a copy cooler?

Sorry meant cpu cooler lol

4 minutes ago, nick name said:

disregard

what do u mean?

6 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

Put your ear next to your speakers? If it's not coming from an audio source, and it is coils, it will be the ones around your CPU if the mouse moving alters the pitch. I can't really help beyond that as I don't have physical access to the machine. The only thing you could really do is sound-proof the PC case a bit.

well I don't have speakers I use headphones primarily so does that mean its coils 

Just now, nextraff said:

Sorry meant cpu cooler lol

Possibly, if the fan doesn't have suitable EMI mitigation (eg, a capacitor between the +ve and -ve supply). Was it particularly cheap? Though I have yet to encounter a PC fan without this, so it seems unlikely.

well I don't have speakers I use headphones primarily so does that mean its coils 

If there is no motherboard-mounted sound source (the thing that can make that BIOS POST beep at power on, on some PCs). Does yours beep shortly after power on, before Windows loads? If not, you probably don't have one, which would leave the coils.

Possibly, if the fan doesn't have suitable EMI mitigation (eg, a capacitor between the +ve and -ve supply). Was it particularly cheap? Though I have yet to encounter a PC fan without this, so it seems unlikely.

I have a be quiet dark rock 4

I have a be quiet dark rock 4

That is unlikely to be at fault - be quiet stuff is great quality.

If there is no motherboard-mounted sound source (the thing that can make that BIOS POST beep at power on, on some PCs). Does yours beep shortly after power on, before Windows loads? If not, you probably don't have one, which would leave the coils.

I used to have one but it broke so I took it out

That is unlikely to be at fault - be quiet stuff is great quality.

yeah I thought it was a bit of a stretch which leaves my motherboard or could there be other culprits 

Just now, nextraff said:

yeah I thought it was a bit of a stretch which leaves my motherboard or could there be other culprits 

Only other one besides the GFX (which is ruled out), is the PSU. Two things in a PSU can whine/resonate. The coils, often not sealed as on a motherboard, so visible. Or the transformer plates. But, if it was the PSU, it would likely be a constant sound, and not change with mouse movement. I know the sound you mean, as I have had it on older kit in the past. If it is your coils, and they are sealed, there isn't much you can do about it besides adding sound proofing to the case, moving the case further away.

As a sanity check, I would make sure everything is properly plugged into the motherboard, and seated correctly. CPU, RAM, PCIe cards, everything.

13 minutes ago, nextraff said:

what do u mean?

I said something that later proved to be irrelevant so I removed it and replaced it with "disregard".  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

9 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

Only other one besides the GFX (which is ruled out), is the PSU. Two things in a PSU can whine/resonate. The coils, often not sealed as on a motherboard, so visible. Or the transformer plates. But, if it was the PSU, it would likely be a constant sound, and not change with mouse movement. I know the sound you mean, as I have had it on older kit in the past. If it is your coils, and they are sealed, there isn't much you can do about it besides adding sound proofing to the case, moving the case further away.

As a sanity check, I would make sure everything is properly plugged into the motherboard, and seated correctly. CPU, RAM, PCIe cards, everything.

if the ram wasn't seated properly it wouldn't post or am I wrong and for the cpu I thought it was the same and I have seated both the gpu and my WiFi card several times so no difference