Enabeling secondary GPU in Pop! OS

Hello everyone,

some quick context for my Issue that will hopefully clear up any possible misunderstandings:

For my birthday (which happens to be today), I decided to upgrade my gaming/development machine with some new hardware.

At the same time I decided to try and switch to Linux as my main operating system since it just feels nicer compared to Windows 10 for me.

Also, Proton has made gaming on Linux a much more pleasing experience by now since almost all of my games now run with great performance.

Still, for the few games I have that will not run with Proton or Wine I decided to use Windows and just run it in a VM so I don't need to switch OSs every time I decide to have a quick match.

Long story short, my machine now has 2 NVIDIA GPUs: GTX 770 and GTX 1070 Mini

running on a new Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite with a Ryzen 7 3700X.

The GTX 1070 is intended for any heavy lifting purposes, such as gaming, and thus has my 2 big 1440p monitors attached to it,

while the GTX 770 is merely intended for output of the host system in case I run any VMs with GPU-passthrough, which is a can of worms I decided to open at a later date.

My current Issue is that, even though all hardware, both GPUs and all 3 on my monitors are confirmed working,

but any display attached to the secondary GTX 770 GPU shows no output and is not shown as a possible output device in the display manager:

2027431989_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0611-52-57.thumb.png.c81ea78bd683e0d4b2daef85b4d7db97.png

However, both the secondary GPU as well as the attached 1080p horizontal monitor are recognized by nvidia-settings as existing and theoretically working: (GPU 1, HDMI-0)689634321_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0611-36-51.png.566cdc7a8cbbf5d3d6a11bbbec14c2c4.png

I have googled a lot this past day, but most issues I came across are with hybrid mode for GPU and CPU-onboard graphics.

If anyone has a solution for my Issue to get the third monitor on my secondary GPU working, it'd be the best birthday gift I could ask for.

Sincerely, PacDDrake

Quick Update: I have managed to enable the tertiary monitor by creating a new X Screen for it in the nvidia-settings:

1209515952_Screenshotfrom2020-07-0612-15-10.thumb.png.0451ec1994e31252b59a706d8b7107b0.png

It now shows output. has the correct resolution and orientation and I can now move my mouse into it.

However, I only get a black screen (no wallpaper like on the others), the cursor immediately changes to a black X and I cannot drag any applications into the screen.

Any help on getting application output, even if they then cannot be dragged between the different X Servers would be much appreciated.

• 6 months later...

Hey, I hope you were able to solve this issue cause I am facing the exact same one for the exact same reason. Did you manage to get the display working on the 2nd gpu? If so, please do share what you did.

Thanks.