Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
huilun02

I Like Big Batteries and I Cannot Lie

Posted · Original PosterOP

Good news for all you folks who like big boobs batteries!

It turns out Samsung is making an M41 that comes with a 6,800mAh battery. It is expected to also sport an OLED display.

https://gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_m41_is_alive_to_house_a_massive_6800_mah_battery-news-44105.php

The current Samsung battery champion is the M30s and M31, which both have a 6,000mAh battery. Samsung's M series of phones are in the mid-range category, right under the A series. The M41 will have to be priced higher than the M31 for sure, which estimates its price to be about the same as the A51.

For perspective, 6,800mAh capacity is in the 10" tablet ballpark. And 6,000mAh on a 1080p OLED screen looks like this:

gsmarean_437.jpg

What are your thoughts on the world's most advanced power bank?

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

a more capable bomb, yay /s

but is the battery removable?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

but is the battery removable?

Nope

Samsung's philosophy with these phones seems to be "The user will need to be recharged before the phone needs to be recharged"

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

I'd have thought it'd get better battery life than that. It's only a little ahead of the OnePlus 7/T, and Huawei phones get damn close to those numbers as well with significantly smaller batteries. Samsung. You gotta do better with your optimization.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's only a little ahead of the OnePlus 7T

Sorry?

gsmarena_001_60.jpg

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Huawei phones get damn close to those numbers as well with significantly smaller batteries.

The Huawei phones use some very aggressive power saving measures through software...

But I'm all for it if we can get actually great battery life with smaller batteries and smaller phones.

Well, with the M31, at least the Exynos 9611 has Cortex A73s rather than a bunch of A53s. Maybe the M41 will be using Cortex A75s?

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

23 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Sorry?

gsmarena_001_60.jpg

The Huawei phones use some very aggressive power saving measures through software...

But I'm all for it if we can get actually great battery life with smaller batteries and smaller phones.

It was the 7 I was thinking with just under 14 hours of web, but the OnePlus 8 does even better...

image.png.b75fa956349c61f27bcac41c4c477943.png

The same? No. But it's battery is also almost 50% smaller.

On a high refresh screen.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

, but the OnePlus 8 does even better...

image.png.b75fa956349c61f27bcac41c4c477943.png

The same? No. But it's battery is also almost 50% smaller.

On a high refresh screen.

Yes the optimization on that phone is admirable. Having a Snapdragon chipset also helps towards that.

Imagine if the M41 was given a SD730 instead... And then installed a clean custom ROM. It would be glorious

17 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Well, with the M31, at least the Exynos 9611 has Cortex A73s rather than a bunch of A53s. Maybe the M41 will be using Cortex A75s?

No chance.

A75s are only on the Exynos 9800 series chipsets

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

No chance.

A75s are only on the Exynos 9800 series chipsets

Suppose the lower mid-range just isn’t worthy then. Even just dual A75s would be nice like the Pixel 3A. :/

The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

25 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Suppose the lower mid-range just isn’t worthy then. Even just dual A75s would be nice like the Pixel 3A. :/

Samsung Exynos just doesnt have an answer to the intermediate SD67X and SD7XX competitors.

The flagship Exynos should have been downclocked, undervolted, and positioned to have success in its own segment right above the intermediate range or contend with Mediatek.

Samsung for some reason insist on pushing them to try and compete against clearly superior Snapdragon flagships.

The result is overheating phones, a bad reputation to the brand, and many unhappy international customers.

Samsung please relegate your 'flagship' Exynos to 'Lite' versions of the true flagships. There is a huge pricing chasm between the major A series models and overpriced flagships. Where there is still time and space to make a successful segment of 'Lite' flagships.

I mean I'd rather have a more efficient phone with a smaller battery, save the planet and all that. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

56 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

I mean I'd rather have a more efficient phone with a smaller battery, save the planet and all that. 

The best way to save the planet in this regard is to get the device that can offer longer service life without needing parts replacement. Not only does the discarded part contribute to pollution, but the demand for the new part will result in more damage to the environment. The easiest way to avoid all that, is to get a device that lasts longer per charge, and as a result needs to be charged less often and will last longer before needing q battery replacement.

Also, not buying from a company that goes out of their way to stop people from obtaining and reusing salvage parts, and inhibiting people's ability to repair their own device.

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

The best way to save the planet in this regard is to get the device that can offer longer service life without needing parts replacement. Not only does the discarded part contribute to pollution, but the demand for the new part will result in more damage to the environment. The easiest way to avoid all that, is to get a device that lasts longer per charge, and as a result needs to be charged less often and will last longer before needing q battery replacement.

Also, not buying from a company that goes out of their way to stop people from obtaining and reusing salvage parts, and inhibiting people's ability to repair their own device.

Which means you can get a device which is more power efficient which is what I said. Larger battery’s use more power to charge and use more resources to make.

Would say not allowing people to self repair would be better for the environment as you can ensure that parts are disposed of responsibly rather than thrown into a landfill. 

20 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Which means you can get a device which is more power efficient which is what I said. Larger battery’s use more power to charge and use more resources to make.

I don't think needing less power to charge will make a lot of difference though.

Budget build
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
iGPU: Vega 11
Ram: Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666mhz dual channel
MB: Gigabyte ga-a320m s2h v2
SSD: Crucial 240GB
PSU: Cheap 500W
Case: Cougar MX330-G

1 hour ago, EL02 said:

I don't think needing less power to charge will make a lot of difference though.

Over 4 years charging at say 5000mah a day you use 27000 watt hours. Say they sell 50,000 units that's 1.35 billion watt hours or 1.35GWH. It uses nearly 900KWH just to do one charge of 5000mAH for all 50,000 devices.