Does increasing your graphics affect your lag

First off i know this sounds like a dumb question. 

But there are times i really feel like my lag is increased when i game at 2560x1440 as opposed to 1080p. 

Is there any way that this is possible or all just in my head. Does my graphics even have anything to do with the input lag ? 

Serious discussions only please 

thanks guys

You mean lag as in your ping right? No graphics do not affect that in any way.

Well technically yes. The harder it becomes for the GPU (or other components) to push frames, the higher the frametime's going to become therefore more latency.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

You mean lag as in your ping right? No graphics do not affect that in any way.

No not my ping like input from controllers & keyboard and mice 

54 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes the input lag is affected by FPS but more importantly, its more noticeable with inconsistent frame times.

Can you elaborate on this or show me where i can find more information

1 hour ago, Mateyyy said:

Well technically yes. The harder it becomes for the GPU (or other components) to push frames, the higher the frametime's going to become therefore more latency.

Would you have any technical research supporting this. im really trying to get to the bottom of this. 

thanks

Not in any meaningful way. Any increase is going to be imperceivable 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, r0bert said:

Can you elaborate on this or show me where i can find more information

You dont have to go far. Just check the 60Hz at 60FPS and 60Hz at above 60FPS test. At around 10min in the video.

And to elaborate, if you have 60Hz monitor then each frame is being refreshed at 16.66ms intervals regardless of your FPS. So if your FPS is lower than 60Hz you will see some frames displayed multiple times. And if you have higher than 60FPS you will see the most recent frames displayed 60 times.

When you have lets say 60FPS, in theory each frame should be rendered at those 16.66ms intervals, that is your frame time or frame to frame latency. But it does not work like that in practice. Some frames may get rendered in 5ms intervals and others in 30ms intervals, the important thing is that it still adds up to 60FPS. And the frame to frame latency directly coresponds with the input lag. So if you have game at 60Hz monitor runing at 200FPS with quite consistent frame times then you still see the game being displayed with 16.6ms interval because that is the limit of a 60Hz monitor but your input is being sent at 5ms intervals assuming that the frame time is being consistent.

There is a bit more to it than this as well, you also have to account for the hardware input lag, etc.... so in practice the input lag will be always a bit higher.

11 hours ago, r0bert said:

No not my ping like input from controllers & keyboard and mice 

Oh yeah can happen when the cpu is taxed too much. What are your specs?