PC does not turn on

My computer has been unable to turn on for a couple of months and I'm unsure of what's the cause of it.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried:

- Switch off power supply > unplug power cable and devices > plug back cables
- Jumping/shorting the motherboard -- with the PSU switched on, using the conductive metallic end of a flathead screwdriver to "short" the Power Button System header on the motherboard

Hardware:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 390X 8 GB Tri-X Video Card
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL14 Memory
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Storages: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, 750 GB Hard Drive
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case

Guides I followed:
- How To Troubleshoot A Computer That Won't Turn On - Pt 1: Is It The PC CASE Fault?: https://youtu.be/_2vBc7_fOY8
- README: How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation "The machine doesn't do anything. No beeps, LEDs or spinning fans." section: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/42440-readme-how-to-respond-to-a-no-post-or-no-power-up-situation/

Extra Info:
- The PSU is a replacement unit I got from EVGA (first PSU started failing; put in for RMA in March 2020)
- Devices that have light indicators e.g. my mouse and my Blue Yeti microphone lit up the PSU is switched to ON, see attached 'mouse_mic_powered.jpg' screenshot.

- When jump-starting the motherboard I hear a small tick sound as if the computer is trying to boot. The fans start to spin for couple but then stops.

Can anyone please advise what may be the underlying issue? Would the mouse and mic powered on after switching the power supply ON indicate that the power supply is fine? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

mouse_mic_powered.jpg

im guessing its a custom pc, can you show a pic of the internals?

If you judge a fish based on its ability to climb trees it will go its whole life thinking its a failure.

check if the cable is loose or that you might need to replace the cable. If that isn't the case there must be something wrong with the port it's in

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motheboard
    MSI - MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard
  • RAM
    CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2PK 16GB) 3.2GHz PC4-25600 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit with RGB Lighting - Black
  • GPU
    MSI - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black/Gray
  • Case
    CORSAIR - iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid-Tower Smart Case - Black
  • Storage
    WD - Blue 500GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive Seagate - Barracuda 2TB Internal SATA Hard Drive for Desktops
  • PSU
    CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black
  • Display
    Samsung - Odyssey CRG5 series 24” LED Curved FHD FreeSync monitor - Black
  • Keyboard
    Razer Cynosa Chroma
  • Mouse
    Razer Mamba Elite
  • OS
    Windows 10 Home

22 minutes ago, Matty2048 said:

im guessing its a custom pc, can you show a pic of the internals?

Yes, it's a custom PC I built back in late 2015. Please see attached internal pics below:

IMG_5608.thumb.jpg.02530032fa89c357f0cacc7b6b1f84bc.jpg

IMG_5610.thumb.jpg.10ac53fb9670307cafd81aedb91cbbf9.jpg

IMG_5609.thumb.jpg.484bed499b0b83987aa63e52218ee53b.jpg

20 minutes ago, Phoned_ said:

check if the cable is loose or that you might need to replace the cable. If that isn't the case there must be something wrong with the port it's in

Forgot to note that in my troubleshooting steps but I've checked that as well. Do you suspect it's an issue with the power button header on the motherboard?

15 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Reseat everything (including CPU and cooler) and make sure your power button actually works.

I'll try to reseat everything on the mobo again.

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

It looks to me that in your image there the front panel connectors are not connected. This is helpful for the computer to turn on, attaching the power button to the motherboard ;)

Yeah, I detached the power button cable to the power button header on the mobo to try jump-starting the computer. Just tried reattaching the cable to the header, but no luck trying to turn on via the computer case's button. :/

19 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Are you sure it's on the right header?

Yup! And just to double-check, I was referencing my mobo's manual: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Z170 Pro4.pdf

I've also uploaded a short YouTube to better help illustrate this issue:

Thanks for the continuous follow-ups. Let me know your thoughts.

sys_panel_headers.jpg

39 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Editing is on point there, almost couldn't notice the cuts. I noticed in the video that your case fan spun, but your CPU fan did not. This tells me that perhaps the case fan isn't attached to the motherboard, but rather with a Molex adapter to the PSU or something. Because you don't even get CPU fan spin, I would hazard a guess that either your motherboard or CPU is broken in some manner, as you should get fan spin on your CPU cooler just like on your case fan. The last step is really to try and reset your CPU, but beyond that, your board is dead. Sorry.

Aah, thanks for the feedback! Just to be sure, a board being dead doesn't actually impact the other components attached to it? E.g. CPU, GPU, etc.

5 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

Generally not. The power supply getting fried has a good chance to kill everything else in the system, but considering that you got fan spin, everything else is probably still good.

This gives me something to work with. Thank you so much for your help!

3 hours ago, tikonux said:

This gives me something to work with. Thank you so much for your help!

what psu do you have can you drop some specs really quick. did you oc

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motheboard
    MSI - MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen2 AMD Motherboard
  • RAM
    CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2PK 16GB) 3.2GHz PC4-25600 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit with RGB Lighting - Black
  • GPU
    MSI - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black/Gray
  • Case
    CORSAIR - iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid-Tower Smart Case - Black
  • Storage
    WD - Blue 500GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive Seagate - Barracuda 2TB Internal SATA Hard Drive for Desktops
  • PSU
    CORSAIR - RMx Series 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - Black
  • Display
    Samsung - Odyssey CRG5 series 24” LED Curved FHD FreeSync monitor - Black
  • Keyboard
    Razer Cynosa Chroma
  • Mouse
    Razer Mamba Elite
  • OS
    Windows 10 Home