2.5 SSD dead?

espr3ss0

When I first tried it worked fine, the cable I believe is the right way round and plugged into SATA1. The disk was stored (not in PC) for a while and now having plugged it back in doesn't want to show, neither the BIOS or Windows 10 (get-disk). Before it was stored I wiped it completely, not sure if what ever I did has caused it but it doesn't want to work. How can I check if it's dead or not ?

8 minutes ago, espr3ss0 said:

When I first tried it worked fine, the cable I believe is the right way round and plugged into SATA1. The disk was stored (not in PC) for a while and now having plugged it back in doesn't want to show, neither the BIOS or Windows 10 (get-disk). Before it was stored I wiped it completely, not sure if what ever I did has caused it but it doesn't want to work. How can I check if it's dead or not ?

Have you tried it in another pc? / Tried another sata cable or tried to plugging it into another sata port. 

to test for a dead sata disk, it would be smart to connect it to another pc and simply test if it showes up, Alternatively plug it in alone without any thing else in the pc to test if it shows up or not

1 minute ago, WillLTT said:

Have you tried it in another pc? / Tried another sata cable or tried to plugging it into another sata port. 

to test for a dead sata disk, it would be smart to connect it to another pc and simply test if it shoes up, Alternatively plug it in alone without any thing else in the pc to test if it shows up or not

This + what motherboard are you running?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

5 minutes ago, espr3ss0 said:

I would try the following steps:

1. Try a different SATA cable into SATA-1 port and see if the cable is faulty.
  2. Attempt a different SATA port on your motherboard, with a different cable.
  3. Try installing the 2.5 SSD into another machine, if you have one.

If the above three don't resolve, then, pretty safe to say that the SSD is done.  Let me ask has it been more than 5 years that you've had it?

It's a Samsung 500gb 850 EVO, the MB is MSI Gaming Edge AC.

Thanks but I tried in another port and don't have a spare cable or any other PC to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem found, it does help plugging in the power connector !