Should I wait for OnePlus Nord or just buy a 7T?

I broke the screen and display of my actual phone (huawei p9 lite), it was the time to upgrade anyway.

So I need some advices / recommandations on what phone to get. I know OP has fast fingerprint reader and good OS, thats why I'm leaning towards it.

I can wait for the Nord, just dont know if its gonna be worth.

I could also accept some other recommandations if you guys have any, just dont suggest iphones, I need some good batery life.

Also I dont really have a budget, just wanna get a nice value for my money.

I only browse reddit/ watch yt and use chrome, no gaming and such, altought I do wanna play some TFT mobile from time to time (its not a hard game anyway).

Need good-ish screen for browsing and obviously a good batery life.

I rarely take pictures, but a good camera is a nice bonus.

At least 128gb and whatever amount of ram you think i need.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, forgot to mention, I dont like curved glass, think its stupid.

ok yea curved glass is a bit annoying, but for me the most important thing for getting the 7t was not having a hole in my screen.

oh and the  speed is real, its amazing!

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

37 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

The Nord will be using the SD765G chipset which is already more than sufficient for your needs as far as I can tell.

However if the screen is not OLED, or if the battery is small in comparison, then definitely get the 7T instead.

The screen will very probably be flat, and almost certainly 1080p

Some things to ponder to determine if it will be worth waiting for the Nord:

• Is the 7 and 7T still expensive in your area? The Nord was announced to cost under $500. I suspect it will be $450 or higher.
  • Do you want a headphone jack and hope the Nord will have it?
  • Are you hoping it will have a 120Hz screen?
  • Are you hoping it will have a bigger battery than the 7/7T?

Keep in mind that you should expect it lose some features compared to the Oneplus 8 series. And absolutely no chance of it getting features exclusive to the most expensive Oneplus models (meaning no IP68 or wireless charging)

The 7T is like 550$, so the Nord will be cheaper in any case.

I got used to the ideea of no longer having a jack and will buy a bluetooth receiver like the mpow so i dont have to buy some wireless buds.

I dont think i really need a 120hz screen, I cant even see the difference on my actual monitor between 144 and 60 so yeah, 90 will do.

Yeah a bigger battery would be great, but the battery life should be around the same.

The only reasons I'm considering waiting for the nord is because of software updates. I know there are only about 2 years of updates and I wanna keep this phone for like 4-5 years (again, I'm doing basing stuff with it, I just dont wanna have to close reddit before texting someone or opening another app). The 7T is like 6 months old or smth.

One concern I have regarding modern phones is about the screen, since its OLED will it not degrade on this 4-5 years of use?

24 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Also could you let us know what were your biggest gripes with the P9 Lite? How was its battery life when it was still going strong? And was it back then as good as you'd like it to be?

I can only address the issues that you bring up. So make sure to think this through.

Are you in the US? If so, what carrier? Because they have funky CDMA network requirements with some of the carriers over there.

Last but not least, it would of great help (to both of us) if you could link me to the seller(s) that you intend to buy from. So I can go in to see what options are of particularly good value of money.

So the p9 lite was hella slow but the memory was also full and it had some notification that the phone is losing performance due to the full memory (16gb+some card that was also full).

The main issue was the speed, if someone sent me a message via Messanger and that pop up thing appeared it took like 5 seconds or more to open the text and for the keyboard to start being responsive. 

I remember the battery was damn great in its glory days. I had to force myself to use the phone to make the battery reach a 10% (I've been told to use the battery completly before putting it to charge, dont know if its true or not).

The glory days were gone once ppokemon go appeared. I was playing it daily and even tho it was lasting like 5 hr, after 2 months of playing the battery started to feel not as good as it used to. I was still playing random games on my phone if it matters.

I live in Romania, Europe so pretty much everything is avalable around here. Cant give you one seller, as I intend to purchase from whoever offers it cheaper, but you can use compari.ro and just type in whatever phone model you want and it will give you the cheapest price it  could find in its partners sites. It covers like 90% of sites so all good. The price will be listed as RON, just type X ron to dollar in google and it will give you a good aproximation.

Also thanks a lot for helping me, I really apreciate it. I will respond to your messages and suggestions in 2-3 hrs from now, I have some stuff to do. Thanks again man!

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Could you explain how software updates or the lack of it, will impact your usage of the device?

With regards to color accuracy and yellow tinting, OLED displays still degrade but to a much lesser extent than they used to. Newer panels pre-compensate for different decomposition rates of each color subpixel, and automatically adjusts the color rendition based on an internal SOT tracking mechanisms, so that the resulting image can stay as color accurate as possible over the course of its life.

With regards to image burn-in, OLED is still susceptible to that problem. However if you use your phone like a sane person and not leave it showing a bright static image for long stretches of time, you should not encounter a burn-in problem.

OLED panels are very nice in the fact that they are able to produce a wider color gamut, the ability to show increidbly dim shades as well as absolute blacks, and the power saving aspect of not having an always-on backlight.

Updates make you phone faster, no?

Pretty sure my p9 would still be usable if it had more memory and the newest android version.

I dont really care about security updates and such, but software updates are like driver updates for you gpu, without them, some games wont even run or at least run slower that intended. 

I dont know if I'm right about this, so feel free to correct me.

Thanks for explaining to me what oled is and what are their issues now, It seems I'll be fine. worst case I'll have to replace the display.

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

No. Remove this preconception from your mind

Possibly. Except memory is a physical contraint that cannot be expanded by updates. You remember that you cannot download more RAM... right?

No. This will make things worse due to more space taken up by the OS. As said earlier, updates do not speed up your phone

No. You do not get any driver updates from software updates. Games are completely unaffected. Games are deliberately made to run well on as many devices as possible. Because the game developer/publisher wants as much money as possible. The lack of updates will not take away your ability to run any game. Likewise no game will decide to stop running if you happen to have an ancient version of Android. If there is anything that makes the game run better, it will be the update for the app itself, downloaded through the app store. You do not lose app updates for not running the latest Android version.

You should not care about software updates unless you know it comes with a feature that you want to use, or has a bug fix that you want implemented. The general public have been brainwashed into thinking that phone OS updates are essential and hold high value. They are not. Especially with Android. This has led to many people seeking and insisting on phone models that supposedly tout a greater length of support and updates. Namely people in this path end up buying overpriced Pixels which had miserable amounts of storage, RAM, and tiny batteries. As a result they got themselves something that had been PHYSICALLY contrained from being able to offer an actual good long term experience.

Please do not fall into that trap.

Bro, you're just a fucking legend. I had no ideea software updates do not affect performance at all.

So if release date doesnt matter, is there a reason to wait for the nord? All i see is 5g and some better camera, but i lose 2 gb of ram. Also cheaper, but any other reason?