Mt Gox admits that everybody's money is gone, files for bankruptcy

TopWargamer

http://valleywag.gawker.com/bitcoin-kingpin-admits-everyones-money-is-gone-1533315083?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

(Starts at 00:25, but it's in Japanese, so ya... Here's the English translation though.)

7dMoK.png

At the current BTC exchange rate on BTC-e, that would equal roughly $415,350,000. 

Japan-based Mt.Gox CEO Mike Karpele—who may or may not be Chris Farley reanimated with the soul of Reddit—just copped to some very bad news: yes, he lost all your money.

We still don't know why all the money is gone, or where it went, but a combination of theft and titanic incompetence is likely. The bottom line of anyone who used the Mt.Gox exchange: your account balance is now zero.

I'm just gonna say this right now: He's on some kind of legitimate hit list, he's gotta be. Millions of Dollars - gone. Millions of customers - pissed. Hopefully this won't effect the Bitcoin economy too much, and at least Gox didn't steal it, but still though...

There's no way that Gox is coming back online after this, and if they do, nobody would want to use their exchange anyways.

UPDATE:

Mt Gox has also filed for bankruptcy. It's official - Gox is never returning. 

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/28/mt-gox-files-for-bankruptcy/

Mt.Gox has filed for bankruptcy protection and has outstanding debt of about $63.6 million, a lawyer for the Bitcoin exchange said today during a press conference at the Tokyo District Court, reports the WSJ.

COMIC SANS

glad im not using bitcoins.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Glad my stuff isn't in Mt. Gox lol...

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

Such disgrace for those people

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

haha yeah so you know you guys gave me all that money... so yeah I accidentally... My bad!

Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate Wants you! Join now!

UOLTT Basop | Misc Freelancer & Origin M50

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

-Groucho Marx

wait wait

how did the cash get stolen

people who had sold bitcoin in mtgox ???

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

wait wait

how did the cash get stolen

people who had sold bitcoin in mtgox ???

It was a bug inherent in the transaction process that existed right from the start, meaning that if they only noticed now then it was already too late because bitcoins have been leaking from Mt. Gox's inception since the very beginning, disappearing without a trace. Other depositories have had similar transaction bugs, but they all addressed the issues relatively quickly; the fact that it took Mt. Gox this long to address it means their staff is inherently lacking confidence. If you're an American, think of the GM bailout (or Fisker for that matter). The distress signals were there, but they didn't notice it until it was too late and that has resulted in an upset community.

At the time of bankruptcy filing, Mt. Gox reported 850,000 bitcoins had gone missing (750,000 belonging to customers); a more recent look at the transaction bug this month provides a slightly more accurate number of 744,000.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

How does this not surprise me

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

the people who had coins in MT gox where dumb people :) no regret at all for those people :) you are stupid leaving your coins on a website :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Good. I hope this leads to the death of all crytocurrency.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Well its sad i guess..

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 2133 | AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i | OCZ Vector 256G | 

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition

XFX 750W BEFX

Well I wouldnt put the hate on Bitcoin, its MtGox's fault, bitcoins are fine, I still like mining them for fun and already made a few bucks out of it selling it privately  :lol:

But I feel sorry for everyone who had a lot of Bitcoins in MtGox, Imagine those people who put almost had everything they had into Bitcoins/MtGox and now all that is lost  :(

This really is like investing in the stock market. It's being a huge deal cause it's the first scenario of this happening with a crypto currency but I don't see how it's that different from investing in a company or buying stock that never took off.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Well this is what happens when you trust companies to hold all your money for you.

In old days, they would commit seppuku if they failed like this..

If he was honorable, but somehow I don't think he has the same honor as a samurai...

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

First, thank god i didn't have my coins there, secondly he should be forced to pay back every single dollar by himself for letting this happen.

Preferably by mining salt in some russian saltmine.

So uhhhh...

Does this mean I can start to see affordable AMD cards again?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.4 GHz Motherboard: MSI Z87 G43 RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked Case: Bitfenix Ronin

Storage: 120 GB Samsung 840 series SSD, WD Green 2TB PSU: XFX core edition 650W Display(s): ASUS VE228H 21.5IN 1080P Cooling: CM Hyper 212+

Keyboard: Microsoft P.O.S Mouse: Corsair Raptor M40 Sound: Sennheiser PC 330 Headset