replace exhaust fan with intake?

Primortem
Go to solution Solved by mockedarche,
8 minutes ago, Primortem said:

I would say one in and one out. Its better to keep the air moving instead of not guiding it IMO. I also suggest having the cpu cooler push air towards the exhaust. I understand why you want to fiddle with it but generally speaking keeping them equal or close it better than all in or all out.

My PC is using 2 fans, one for intake and one exhaust. I really wanted to add another but I don't want to buy another cable for that. Would it be better to just leave it as one exhaust and one intake, or two intakes for positive air pressure?

P.S. the front panel, on the right side, intakes air from the sides of the panel, not the front so it's fine for it to be facing the wall.

image.png.26447a4f78d217225a2c3b56d6280f00.png

8 minutes ago, Primortem said:

I would say one in and one out. Its better to keep the air moving instead of not guiding it IMO. I also suggest having the cpu cooler push air towards the exhaust. I understand why you want to fiddle with it but generally speaking keeping them equal or close it better than all in or all out.

What case is that? Airflow is seriously restricted in that thing. Out of what seems to be bad and worse options, I think your current set up is the best. At least you're washing some fresh air over the CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

9 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

the cpu cooler is moving air to the right, towards the exhaust up top. And i'll probably just keep it as is.

8 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

What case is that? Airflow is seriously restricted in that thing. Out of what seems to be bad and worse options, I think your current set up is the best. At least you're washing some fresh air over the CPU.

It's the rosewell tyrfing atx case from amazon. It was the cheapest at the time.

4 minutes ago, Primortem said:

It's the rosewell tyrfing atx case from amazon. It was the cheapest at the time.

The closed off front is bad enough, but the front vents are all in the bottom with a drive cage in front of them. Even if you sacrificed the drive cage, any fan you put there would just be blowing air at an empty area of your case. The top front drive cage is probably not removable, but even if it is any fan there would be trying to suck in air from the bottom of your case. Not sure what they were thinking with that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

13 minutes ago, Primortem said:

the cpu cooler is moving air to the right, towards the exhaust up top. And i'll probably just keep it as is.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter all that much, as long as the thermals are under control (even 80-90C under load is fine). If you're hitting higher temps than that on your CPU, then you should be worried. Not sure what fans you have in there currently, but you can also try adding better ones to move more air.

If your cpu is 80-90c while just playing a video game then you have airflow problems. Personally I wouldn’t call that ok.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143