Ssd/windows 10

caviar79

I bought a new Asus TUF fx505du. Came with a Kingston ssd 250ish gb as the windows drive. I used Macrium to clone the drive to a new/bigger Samsung Evo via creating an image and restoring it to the new drive.

Somewhere along the way I lost my mind and wiped the old drive and created a new partition with partition wizard AND deleted the image I had created.

I had some unrelated issues and wanted to try a fresh reinstall of w10. Wanted to try it out on the old drive before wiping my Evo. The windows 10 installer is misreading my Kingston drive is a 2048mb and won't let me install, wipe partitions or format or anything. It is recognized properly in the bios and according to Windows disk manager (on another computer, in a external enclosure) AND partition wizard the drive is setup as gpt and working fine,correct size and all.

What is the deal? Help.

Edit: it is an nvme drive.

7 minutes ago, caviar79 said:

I bought a new Asus TUF fx505du. Came with a Kingston ssd 250ish gb as the windows drive. I used Macrium to clone the drive to a new/bigger Samsung Evo via creating an image and restoring it to the new drive.

Somewhere along the way I lost my mind and wiped the old drive and created a new partition with partition wizard AND deleted the image I had created.

I had some unrelated issues and wanted to try a fresh reinstall of w10. Wanted to try it out on the old drive before wiping my Evo. The windows 10 installer is misreading my Kingston drive is a 2048mb and won't let me install, wipe partitions or format or anything. It is recognized properly in the bios and according to Windows disk manager (on another computer, in a external enclosure) AND partition wizard the drive is setup as gpt and working fine,correct size and all.

What is the deal? Help.

Edit: it is an nvme drive.

try a format in diskpart in the windows 10 setup. at the partition screen in setup, press "shift+f10" to pull up a cmd.

It may have some residual GUID Boot Records that makes it show like that. 

My go-to software for clearing drive formats is SDFormatter. Never had a drive it couldn't get back to normal. Designed for SD cards but works just fine on other drives. 

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/eula_windows/index.html

Go into the windows 10 setup and get a cmd going. Diskpart then list disks then select disk and then clean. That should clear it all out.

• 2 weeks later...

So I did get it going with diskpart. Thanks guys. When I was done I put it back in the external enclosure. Put a bunch of files on it for some transferring. It died. Nothing will recognize it now. I guess I don't really need it but it only took a handful of repartitions and formats and one 0-sector wipe to destroy it.

• 5 months later...

Mine came with WD Blue WDC PC SN520 256G will never rave about it, poorly placed as well... Overheating cause crashing and confused Windows from where to boot when Hyper-V was eventually activated andused (could have been my registry duckery). 24% install loop until read up and decided to just install on my old Crucial... Tried it again, and fortunately it wasn't fried, so it's my secondary storage drive.