Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
caviar79

Ssd/windows 10

Posted · Original PosterOP

I bought a new Asus TUF fx505du. Came with a Kingston ssd 250ish gb as the windows drive. I used Macrium to clone the drive to a new/bigger Samsung Evo via creating an image and restoring it to the new drive.

Somewhere along the way I lost my mind and wiped the old drive and created a new partition with partition wizard AND deleted the image I had created.

I had some unrelated issues and wanted to try a fresh reinstall of w10. Wanted to try it out on the old drive before wiping my Evo. The windows 10 installer is misreading my Kingston drive is a 2048mb and won't let me install, wipe partitions or format or anything. It is recognized properly in the bios and according to Windows disk manager (on another computer, in a external enclosure) AND partition wizard the drive is setup as gpt and working fine,correct size and all.

What is the deal? Help.

Edit: it is an nvme drive.

7 minutes ago, caviar79 said:

I bought a new Asus TUF fx505du. Came with a Kingston ssd 250ish gb as the windows drive. I used Macrium to clone the drive to a new/bigger Samsung Evo via creating an image and restoring it to the new drive.

Somewhere along the way I lost my mind and wiped the old drive and created a new partition with partition wizard AND deleted the image I had created.

I had some unrelated issues and wanted to try a fresh reinstall of w10. Wanted to try it out on the old drive before wiping my Evo. The windows 10 installer is misreading my Kingston drive is a 2048mb and won't let me install, wipe partitions or format or anything. It is recognized properly in the bios and according to Windows disk manager (on another computer, in a external enclosure) AND partition wizard the drive is setup as gpt and working fine,correct size and all.

What is the deal? Help.

Edit: it is an nvme drive.

try a format in diskpart in the windows 10 setup. at the partition screen in setup, press "shift+f10" to pull up a cmd.

It may have some residual GUID Boot Records that makes it show like that. 

My go-to software for clearing drive formats is SDFormatter. Never had a drive it couldn't get back to normal. Designed for SD cards but works just fine on other drives. 

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/eula_windows/index.html

Go into the windows 10 setup and get a cmd going. Diskpart then list disks then select disk and then clean. That should clear it all out.

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I did get it going with diskpart. Thanks guys. When I was done I put it back in the external enclosure. Put a bunch of files on it for some transferring. It died. Nothing will recognize it now. I guess I don't really need it but it only took a handful of repartitions and formats and one 0-sector wipe to destroy it.