Best Thermal Compound For Water-Cooling?

I use Indigo Xtreme for CPU blocks. For other waterblocks, I use prolimatech pk 1 as it is arguably the highest performing paste. PK-1, however is nearly impossible to spread.

I have always used arctic silver 5 for everything.

Arctic Cooling MX-4 - completly non conductive.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Arctic Cooling MX-4 - completly non conductive.

That's what I have been using also, I really like it. Hard to apply sometimes though.

I use Indigo Xtreme for CPU blocks. For other waterblocks, I use prolimatech pk 1 as it is arguably the highest performing paste. PK-1, however is nearly impossible to spread.
Indigo Xtreme vs thermal goop comparison?

MX-4 or MX2. I am tempted to try out the coollaboratory liquid pro.

i5 2500k, MSI Z77 Mpower, 4x4 GB Musking Enhanced Blackline. MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk(temporary), Samsung 830 128, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w

I always seem to use good 'ol arctic silver 5 for everything, it's cheap, and it works great

i couldnt do it, the cure time is too long, i need something i can use instantly plus its not a good performer

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

mx-4 for my all in one, easy to spread good thermal performance

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Ya the cure time is 50-200 hours. Which is a good long while but you still get good performance during that time.

Not sure why you would think its not a good performer. Still easily one of the best thermal compounds you can buy. People just dont like it because it is conductive.

Here is a round up from 2012

thermal.png

So why are people so worried about using conductive thermal compounds? As long as you are not dipping it all over your Mobo or other components it really should never be an issue. I understand now they make none conductive compounds that are close to or as good as there conductive counterparts but why waste money buying new compounds all the time.

The cure time may be long but what is the performance gain between freshly applied and fully cured? I'd argue that, if its applied properly, its near negligible, but id love to be proven wrong.

So why are people so worried about using conductive thermal compounds? As long as you are not dipping it all over your Mobo or other components it really should never be an issue. I understand now they make none conductive compounds that are close to or as good as there conductive counterparts but why waste money buying new compounds all the time.

cause it's relatively easy to apply thermal compound on your cpu but once you get into installing wc blocks on to your gpus things get more constrained, so it's easier to make a mistake and fry the card

I cant say that i have ever noticed much of a difference from cured and non-cured Arctic sliver 5.

I have mounted plenty of water blocks using Arctic Silver 5 to graphics cards with no problem. You just don't use to much. It really isn't that hard.

I can understand maybe dripping your compound onto the PCB on accident but using so much that it spills out the side and somewhere it shouldn't is silly. The cardinal rule of thermal compound is less is more.

I personally think it is easier to mount a water block to a graphics card than it is to a CPU. That is just my opinion however.

I use MX-4 for my cpu/gpu blocks.

I would rather not use arctic silver 5 as you risk damaging the gpu etc (however slight the risk may be with proper application) and you don't even benefit from taking the risk!

Here is a good "rant" on Silver 5. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Indigo Xtreme vs thermal goop comparison?

http://skinneelabs.com/indigo-xtreme/3/

Indigo Xtreme wins. Only problem is that you can't use it on GPU and mobo blocks.

Here is a good "rant" on Silver 5. :)
Good post. I like the idea of proof.

i never use anything else than Arctic Silver 5 and i have never had any problems with it

A good thermal compound for water cooling is good for everything. Just find a good one :)

Tried quite a lot of different pastes, right now using some Nexus silver.... whatever it's called... With air cooling it makes quite a difference, but with watercooling in my opinion it does not have as much of an impact (may be becuse the custom waterblocks are screved into palce and give you a more even application preasssure).

Agreed Gmac. I use AS5 and have never noticed bad temps right after application.

I would wait a few days till overclocking though.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.