Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrPrO

M.2 SATA SSD not detected by anything

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello hello,

 

My Windows 10 got updated the other night and since then the PC started freezing randomly and hitting me with critical_process_died and I uninstalled the updated but the turd installed it right back even though I got it disabled.

Most recent problem is, at least I could get into Windows for couple of minutes before restart, but now my Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA SSD isn't detected by BIOS or the windows installation. Hence, I cannot get into Windows (no boot), as there is not boot detected, I'm getting thrown right into BIOS. It is in the right slot as it was always in that slot and was working just fine, but after the windows update and moving to another city the PC went nuts.

I have unplugged the other SATA HDD and changed the CMOS battery but nothing has helped, yet.

 

I forgot to mentions that it booted from time to time before I flashed the BIOS, afterwards it doesn't even detect it.

 

Any help is appreciated.

System: Windows 10
MB: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
SSD in question: Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 SSD
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING
Parts: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/RBsjD2

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PrPrO said:

Crucial MX500 M.2 SATA SSD isn't detected by BIOS or the windows installation

Ask a friend to test the drive in their PC and see if it works there. If not, the drive is probably bust and your crashes are probably related to that.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, WereCatf said:

Ask a friend to test the drive in their PC and see if it works there. If not, the drive is probably bust and your crashes are probably related to that.

The problem is that I've moved to a place 1100km from my place for work and none of current colleagues have the M.2 SATA slot :)

I've planned to take the drive with me to a PC shop/repair shop to try just that... But the SSD and the whole PC is only year and a half old..

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PrPrO said:

But the SSD and the whole PC is only year and a half old..

Bad luck doesn't care about age, nor does it ask for permission.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Bad luck doesn't care about age, nor does it ask for permission.

True dat, I've tried everything I know and can't perform the chkdsk since it isn't even detected.

I wanted to get back to gaming after a long pause of 4 months (no access to PC due to COVID), and now this sh*t hits....

I will bring it with me somewhere on Monday, if anything pops in mind, lemme know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PrPrO said:

True dat, I've tried everything I know and can't perform the chkdsk since it isn't even detected.

I wanted to get back to gaming after a long pause of 4 months (no access to PC due to COVID), and now this sh*t hits....

I will bring it with me somewhere on Monday, if anything pops in mind, lemme know.

Might not be a bad idea to buy one M.2 NVMe-to-USB - adapter, one M.2 SATA-to-USB - adapter and one SATA-to-USB - adapter on eBay or such, just so you have something at hand if something similar happens in the future. Those things don't cost much, so it's not a big investment, even if you never did actually need them after all.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Might not be a bad idea to buy one M.2 NVMe-to-USB - adapter, one M.2 SATA-to-USB - adapter and one SATA-to-USB - adapter on eBay or such, just so you have something at hand if something similar happens in the future. Those things don't cost much, so it's not a big investment, even if you never did actually need them after all.

Already ordered M.2 SATA to USB, comes in soon. Next SSD will prob then be NVMe, due to better performance..

 

I forgot to mentions that it booted from time to time before I flashed the BIOS, afterwards it doesn't even detect it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×