Headphone Recommendations

Less than an hour ago, as of writing this post, my current headphone's right ear cup completely detached. Granted, they were already terrible quality, so literally anything was better than them before they even broke.

I have a budget of about $100 USD. I mostly only game and listen to music, with occasional video editing. I need closed-back headphones, because other people are usually in the room I work at. As for the sound levels(? curves?. I hope that's the correct term), I don't particularly care if they're bright, flat, dark, or whatever. I might lean towards flat curves, because video editing, however.
A friend of mine recommended the Arctis 5, which looks pretty good, but I would prefer headphones, with a separate mic. Moreover, I would prefer wired headphones, so I don't have to remember to charge them, and tbh I just prefer wired things. I had also taken a look at the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. They seem fairly good, but also fairly ugly.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Audio technica M40X

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

thwe hd 280 pro are pretty great for a flatter frequency response. a akg k361 might be up your alley as well but id you game the takstar pro 82 is pretty good as well very comfortable heapdhones

if your willing to go a littler over you budget you can use a Audio Technica ATH-M50x are GREAT cans, and are my daily driver
the ATH m series are closed back, and quality

the x at the end means detachable cables

ATH-M50x comes with 3 cables (a 3 foot cable, a 10 foot cable, and a 10 foot coiled cable)

i keep the 10ft coil attached to my PC, and i use the 3ft cable when im out and about.

i also use a mod mic uni for my microphone

Just now, Overlrod_Laharl said:

if your willing to go a littler over you budget you can use a Audio Technica ATH-M50x are GREAT cans, and are my daily driver
the ATH m series are closed back, and quality

the x at the end means detachable cables

ATH-M50x comes with 3 cables (a 3 foot cable, a 10 foot cable, and a 10 foot coiled cable)

i keep the 10ft coil attached to my PC, and i use the 3ft cable when im out and about.

i also use a mod mic uni for my microphone

Not exactly a favorite in the audiophile space they aren't bad for monitoring but for gaming they lack qualities like a wide Soundstage or good imaging making them not good for gaming.

M50X gets you awfully close to AKG K550 territory which has an exceptional soundstage for closed back headphones. Worth pushing the budget for, you occasionally see them under £120 here in the UK.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

58 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

M50X gets you awfully close to AKG K550 territory which has an exceptional soundstage for closed back headphones. Worth pushing the budget for, you occasionally see them under £120 here in the UK.

I beg to differ the m50x soundstage is notorious for being narrow if you want impressive Soundstage for closed back the dt 770 is the way to go

8 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I beg to differ the m50x soundstage is notorious for being narrow 

That was kind of my point, hence recommending the AKG K550s over the M50X ;)

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

15 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

That was kind of my point, hence recommending the AKG K550s over the M50X ;)

ah my bad misr interpreted it. I thought you were saying the m50x'x soundstage is very close to the akg k550

On 7/4/2020 at 8:50 PM, Bedrockbreaker said:

Less than an hour ago, as of writing this post, my current headphone's right ear cup completely detached. Granted, they were already terrible quality, so literally anything was better than them before they even broke.

I have a budget of about $100 USD. I mostly only game and listen to music, with occasional video editing. I need closed-back headphones, because other people are usually in the room I work at. As for the sound levels(? curves?. I hope that's the correct term), I don't particularly care if they're bright, flat, dark, or whatever. I might lean towards flat curves, because video editing, however.
A friend of mine recommended the Arctis 5, which looks pretty good, but I would prefer headphones, with a separate mic. Moreover, I would prefer wired headphones, so I don't have to remember to charge them, and tbh I just prefer wired things. I had also taken a look at the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. They seem fairly good, but also fairly ugly.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

IMHO, there ain't much of a gap between $60 and $100 headphones (especially if you get closed back headphones). 

- The Sennheiser HD 280 probably performs the best out of all headphones under $100. However, they clamp really hard and feel uncomfortable. Hence why I wouldn't recommend them at all. It's a shame because they sound really, really good. 

- The AKG K92 is a great pick if you value comfort the most. They're only $60 and sound pretty darn good. TBH, it's hard to tell them apart from the ATH M40x or M50x. They sound so similar and you have to focus hard to pinpoint the flaws and differences. 

So yeah, AKG K92 would be my choice.