FPS cap vs VSync?

Afthrast
Go to solution Solved by narrdarr,

there is no need to use v sync at all. Just use freesync. If you want in depth analyst check out Battle(non)sense YT. He has several videos regarding this this and how each one works.

I'm running a 144Hz Freesync display and I was wondering about the following:

So VSync (with triple buffering) introduces a slight input delay.

For Freesync to work properly, I have to set a built-in FPS cap to 142 in some games, because with 144, it still sometimes goes above, and the screen tearing happens.

At this point I started wondering if FPS cap + freesync is still worth it instead of vsync, since having less FPS means bigger timeframes between frames (higher frametime).

I'm not sure how much delay can VSync produce, so I was wondering if anyone had insight on this prefarably with the calculations behind it?

What's the point of Vsync if you have a Freesync monitor? Losing 2fps is such a little difference that almost nobody would notice.

there is no need to use v sync at all. Just use freesync. If you want in depth analyst check out Battle(non)sense YT. He has several videos regarding this this and how each one works.

12 minutes ago, Darpyface said:

What's the point of Vsync if you have a Freesync monitor? Losing 2fps is such a little difference that almost nobody would notice.

I don't want to use VSync, but for Freesync to work I have to cap my fps, if I cap it to 144, it stutters because the game sometimes goes over 144 with it's built-in fps cap. So I have to limit it to 142. Having 142 instead of 144 FPS means a slighly bigger time between frames. And I was wondering if this time can be higher than the delay that VSync introduces (so it would make sense to use VSync instead of freesync+fps cap).

2 minutes ago, Afthrast said:

I don't want to use VSync, but for Freesync to work I have to cap my fps, if I cap it to 144, it stutters because the game sometimes goes over 144 with it's built-in fps cap. So I have to limit it to 142. Having 142 instead of 144 FPS means a slighly bigger time between frames. And I was wondering if this time can be higher than the delay that VSync introduces (so it would make sense to use VSync instead of freesync+fps cap).

vsync is still worse. use freesync. the 2 fps is going to mean nothing. If you are that worried about the 2 fps then get a 240hz monitor.