Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel Fanboy

How to interpret my graphics card's clock speed to supported resolution? What does a graphics cards clock speed say about it's supported resolution?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have an integrated graphics card whose base clock is 200 mhz and boost is 650 mhz. Planning on connecting this to a monitor. Right now, it powers the 720p display of the laptop. I want to figure out the max resolution using the speed of the graphics card, because no website says the max resolution supported by my graphics card. Is there a way to know what is the max resolution supported by my graphics card using it's clock speeds, so I know what resolution monitor to get. I have Intel HD 500 graphics. Thanks to anyone trying to help me

Thats not how any of that works...

But your gpu should support hdmi 1.4, so 4k at 30hz, or 1080p/1440p at 60hz.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-500.182723.0.html

If you know the model of your cpu, just look up the max res using this method:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023781/graphics.html

5 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

I have an integrated graphics card whose base clock is 200 mhz and boost is 650 mhz. Planning on connecting this to a monitor. Right now, it powers the 720p display of the laptop. I want to figure out the max resolution using the speed of the graphics card, because no website says the max resolution supported by my graphics card. Is there a way to know what is the max resolution supported by my graphics card using it's clock speeds, so I know what resolution monitor to get. I have Intel HD 500 graphics. Thanks to anyone trying to help me

As Wizard said, the clockspeed of your GPU cannot reasonably tell you anything about what resolutions it supports (let alone resolutions that it can provide adequate performance for). The clock frequency of your GPU is relative only to other GPU's in the same architectural family. Comparing clock speeds of different architectures won't give you a good picture of performance capabilities, and will tell you literally nothing about the specifications it supports.

The GPU itself probably supports every standardized resolution - the limiting factor is going to be your laptop's display output.

As Cactus has mentioned, in theory it should support 4K at 30 Hz or 1080p/1440p/1600p at 60 Hz. We would need to see your exact laptop model to provide more specific information.

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What model of laptop?

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As Cactus has mentioned, in theory it should support 4K at 30 Hz or 1080p/1440p/1600p at 60 Hz. We would need to see your exact laptop model to provide more specific information.

13 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

But your gpu should support hdmi 1.4, so 4k at 30hz, or 1080p/1440p at 60hz.

I'm not sure it will support 4k because it right now powers a 720p display. This is an HP Chromebook x360 11 G1 EE. Thanks for your help

2 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

I'm not sure it will support 4k because it right now powers a 720p display. This is an HP Chromebook x360 11 G1 EE. Thanks for your help

there seems to be no hdmi out, what display adapter are you using?

the 720p display won't affect this at all.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

there seems to be no hdmi out, what display adapter are you using?

I'm going to use a USB C to HDMI adapter. 

4 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

Are you thinking of swapping the internal display? Then i wouldn't go higher than 1080p just to be on the safe side, but if you are thinking of connecting an external display, then here are the max resolutions:

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/celeron/n3450#:~:text=Celeron N3450 is a quad,(SDP of 4 W).

Max HDMI Res 3840x2160 @30 Hz
Max DSI Res 2560x1600 @60 Hz
Max DP Res 4096x2160 @60 Hz
Max eDP Res 3840x2160 @60 Hz
3 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

That laptop has USB-C ports - the official USB-C to HDMI port available from HP for your Chromebook is this one:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1217829-REG/hp_n9k77aa_usb_type_c_to.html

From the specs:

Supports up to 4K x 2K @ 30 Hz

The fact that it has a 720p internal display is irrelevant to external support.

You WILL NOT be able to game at 4K30, but you can certainly browse facebook.

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

Just now, Intel Fanboy said:

Here is what it says for my model of cpu: 

I already put what it said about your cpu:

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:
Max HDMI Res 3840x2160 @30 Hz
Max DSI Res 2560x1600 @60 Hz
Max DP Res 4096x2160 @60 Hz
Max eDP Res 3840x2160 @60 Hz

You will be fine with a 4k external display, if you want to.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what res does that adapter support?

You can probably do 2160p 30fps or 1440p 60fps

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The fact that it has a 720p internal display is irrelevant to external support.

My CPU is Intel Celeron N3350, and graphics are Intel HD 500

3 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

My CPU is Intel Celeron N3350, and graphics are Intel HD 500

So you have the answer now, correct?

Do you have further questions?

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Do you have further questions?

If I buy a 24 inch 1440p display, will I have to zoom in on everything?

14 minutes ago, Intel Fanboy said:

If I buy a 24 inch 1440p display, will I have to zoom in on everything?

You’ll have to look into ChromeOS UI scaling. The UI elements won’t be as massive as on a 720p display, but 24” is a fairly big monitor. You’ll likely be okay unless you have poor eyesight - in which case you may want to increase DPI scaling... however that is done in ChromeOS. 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

You’ll have to look into ChromeOS UI scaling. The UI elements won’t be as massive as on a 720p display, but 24” is a fairly big monitor. You’ll likely be okay unless you have poor eyesight - in which case you may want to increase DPI scaling... however that is done in ChromeOS. 

Okay thanks