open all notifs on page button

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

If there was a one-click button to open all your notifications at once, you would end up getting flagged by our abuse detection system (because opening 50 tabs concurrently is not normal behaviour, nor should it be), and most of the requests would get dropped. On those grounds, this isn't really feasible.

why don't we have a button that opens all unread or if that doesn't work just all notifications on a page of notifications?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

We do have this. When you click the bell, go to the bottom of that panel and hit “View all Notifications” 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

no that goes to a page full of notifications. what I mean is click a button on a page number of that site and open all the notifications in there own pages at once.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

44 minutes ago, The King of the Undead said:

no that goes to a page full of notifications. what I mean is click a button on a page number of that site and open all the notifications in there own pages at once.

I doubt there would be so much use to it. I only check quotes and mentions.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I doubt there would be so much use to it. I only check quotes and mentions.

for some of us there would be though. I check everything except reacts and that's only because of the extra click most of the time. I don't like the having to comb through 48 notifications one click at a time part of this.

34 minutes ago, The King of the Undead said:

for some of us there would be though. I check everything except reacts and that's only because of the extra click most of the time. I don't like the having to comb through 48 notifications one click at a time part of this.

That's how many tabs I have open if I clear GD after two days. That's only place where I could use one button to open all unread threads at once.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

That's how many tabs I have open if I clear GD after two days. That's only place where I could use one button to open all unread threads at once.

yeah but quite frankly your use case isn't everyones. I have that every. single. morning. so i would use it often.

1 minute ago, The King of the Undead said:

yeah but quite frankly your use case isn't everyones. I have that every. single. morning. so i would use it often.

... My point exactly...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

... My point exactly...

I think I'm confused. do you think not many people would use this feature?

If there was a one-click button to open all your notifications at once, you would end up getting flagged by our abuse detection system (because opening 50 tabs concurrently is not normal behaviour, nor should it be), and most of the requests would get dropped. On those grounds, this isn't really feasible.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, The King of the Undead said:

I think I'm confused. do you think not many people would use this feature?

Refreshing more than 30 forum tabs at once and part of them fall to load anyway. So as Mortis said, that's needless hammering to service. Like giving tools to DDoS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

47 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Refreshing more than 30 forum tabs at once and part of them fall to load anyway. So as Mortis said, that's needless hammering to service. Like giving tools to DDoS.

It's not exactly harmful to the forum - there are far easier ways of sending 50 requests than accumulating 50 notifications, and the forum can cope with that volume of traffic - but it is a difficult think to whitelist without allowing other bad behaviour that we do not want.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

It's not exactly harmful to the forum - there are far easier ways of sending 50 requests than accumulating 50 notifications, and the forum can cope with that volume of traffic - but it is a difficult think to whitelist without allowing other bad behaviour that we do not want.

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

oh ok then!

6 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

I'm one of the ones it would also benefit but i hadn't thought of this before. I agree we don't want that being used badly, but how about this. When you go to a page of notifs, you see 25 notifs only, so at the bottom of said page you can open all the notifs in just that page, that would only be 25 pages at a time and would be nice for those of us who get 50 or 100 notifs a day to just go 1 page at a time click the link, check the 25 notifs and go to next page.

Having said that I bet there's some extension somewhere where i can select a group of links and have them all open, haven't looked into it but i might now that I think of it 

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

8 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I'm one of the ones it would also benefit but i hadn't thought of this before. I agree we don't want that being used badly, but how about this. When you go to a page of notifs, you see 25 notifs only, so at the bottom of said page you can open all the notifs in just that page, that would only be 25 pages at a time and would be nice for those of us who get 50 or 100 notifs a day to just go 1 page at a time click the link, check the 25 notifs and go to next page.

Having said that I bet there's some extension somewhere where i can select a group of links and have them all open, haven't looked into it but i might now that I think of it 

25 at at time will probably still trigger things though.

HTTP/2 203

15 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

25 at at time will probably still trigger things though.

Final offer, you make it to where i get 1 notification per thread, no matter how many replies there are XD

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

10 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Final offer, you make it to where i get 1 notification per thread, no matter how many replies there are XD

You already do, for replies. It's just that mentions, quotes, links and reactions are separate. I don't think we should be merging those - if I reply to a long thread, I want to be able to jump straight to the post that quoted/etc me.

HTTP/2 203