Storage and rendering performance in premier pro

Hi yall,

does having a super fast raid 0 setup as a boot drive in premier pro help with rendering, scrubbing and overall performance? Like, a pciex16 expansion card with 4 nvme drives in raid 0 -fast. Will this improve performance? I've heard that it could. thoughts? Also, for comparison, would it improve performance, and in what way, over a single nvme as a boot drive.

A single nvme drive is normally about as fast as would make sense. Raid doesn't always make it faster, and will add some overhead.

What footage though? Bitrate? 

Whats the rest of the system?

well i *could* create a pcie raid0 boot drive that has 4 nvme intel drives.. probably like 10,000gb/s read.. 18 core, 16gb ram 2080ti

1 minute ago, backen6971 said:

well i *could* create a pcie raid0 boot drive that has 4 nvme intel drives.. probably like 10,000gb/s read.. 18 core, 16gb ram 2080ti

there is way more to storage than sequentical speeds.

Also you normally don't want one big raid array, you probably want a seprate boot drive, scratch drive, and media drive. I woudn't use raid for them

1 minute ago, backen6971 said:

footage is 4k60

bitrate?

codec?

not really too sure about the bitrate or codec. Just assume mid to high settings. I'm concerned about raw performance numbers, I'm trying to optimize a render machine. how would a seperate boot, scratch, and media drive help?

6 minutes ago, backen6971 said:

not really too sure about the bitrate or codec. Just assume mid to high settings. I'm concerned about raw performance numbers, I'm trying to optimize a render machine. how would a seperate boot, scratch, and media drive help?

is this a render or edit machine?

having seprate drives makes it so if one drive is being used, it doesn't hurt the performance of everything else.

Look here. Here a guide and performance comparison

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-2015-4-Storage-Optimization-854/

Also how much storage space do you need.