Installing windows XP

SM Phoo

Hey guys, I've got a friend who has software that requires XP and he wants to install it on a machine. (He'd rather avoid stuff like VMWare if possible)

He's got a newish machine that was windows 8 originally. I've made a bootable USB, but for whatever reason, it wont boot from it. I've changed bios settings to legacy mode etc, but all I get is a black screen with a flashing _

The memory pen is readable, when I log into the computer, I can load up the pen, but the option to install windows XP is greyed out.

Thanks

Just use a vm. Windows xp doesn't work on newer hardware and often refuses to even install as well it just doesn't know what to do. You could try making a bootable drive with rufus as that will give you the best shot.

Yeah that seems to be the case. Thanks anyway!

More than likely it wont contain the necessary drivers for install, even Windows 7 has issues installing on some newer systems.

Even if you do get it to install, it will probably perform poorly due to missing drivers.

You wont be able to find drivers for the newer hardware as there was a major revision in Vista and Windows 8.

If he really wants xp natively, id pickup something like a core2quad or core2duo system to put it on. I see them occasionally for around $25 usd on the used market. Still a capable CPU, especially for XP era software.

Edited by Nayr438

I agree. If this software is so important, then buying old core2duo is good idea and cheap.

But first just check that software under win 10. Sometimes people don't even check and says that program runs only on XP because producer never update information on website or because there is compatibility list on CD cover from time when XP was newest operating system. That doesn't mean it will not work under win10. Sometimes it may require change permissions or installing additional libraries, but it will work in 99% cases.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:51 AM, SM Phoo said:

Hey guys, I've got a friend who has software that requires XP and he wants to install it on a machine. (He'd rather avoid stuff like VMWare if possible)

He's got a newish machine that was windows 8 originally. I've made a bootable USB, but for whatever reason, it wont boot from it. I've changed bios settings to legacy mode etc, but all I get is a black screen with a flashing _

The memory pen is readable, when I log into the computer, I can load up the pen, but the option to install windows XP is greyed out.

Thanks

Is there some reason that VMWare Player would not be suitable? It can be configured to be virtually (haha) invisible, as you can make desktop shortcuts to programs running inside an XP machine, and they appear in their own window as if they're running on W10. I've done this in the past for stubborn clients that refused to pay for new accounting software... If you create a shared folder/drive between the machines, it makes moving data across pretty seamless.