Upgrading from an i5 750

Oli515

Budget (including currency): about 300€, but aus little AS possible

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mostly Games, wants to bei able to play: AC Odyssee, Monster Hunter World, Total Warhammer Franchise

Maybe streaming in the future.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

He got Peripherals an Monitor, an 600W PSU, an SSD and a hard drive and a GTX 1660 Super. 

Resolution planned: 1080p

Refresh rate: 60Hz

Hey everyone,

I am looking for your input again! This ist about a rig upgrade for a friend. 

The situation: his old GTX 760, which er tot used from ebay died, so he got a 1660 Super as a replacement. He now also wants to upgrade the CPU to keep up and so he can play AC Odyssee and stuff like that.

He is using an i5 750 right now, even tho its not the worst CPU, its old and the clock speeds are quiet low. Most games he wants to try out have (at least one paper) higher clock speed requirements.

So here ist my question: 

What would be a good fit for an 1660 Super. Since he doesnt have that much cash to spare, Low budget solution would be nice. 

Here ja what we thought about so far:

Ryzen 3300x

I3 9100F

I3 10100

With like a mir class Board (B series for ryzen, something similiar for intel)

And Like 16 GB of DDR4 RAM, clock speed depending on the CPU.

I was suprised that the 9100F seems to have the same gaming results AS the 3300x for a lower price. 

So so you have any recommendations for gaming only and gaming with streaming? 

i set the Budget to 300, lower would be nice, but If Like 20 euro more gives a significant Upgrade, that would be fine top.

Thanks in advance!

330x is definitely the way to go for budget CPUs.  Not sure how that fits into the budget however.  Euro pricing is a bit weird.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

5 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

330x is definitely the way to go for budget CPUs.  Not sure how that fits into the budget however.  Euro pricing is a bit weird.

EU pricing ist super weird...I always think: yay, those parts are great, and since the euro is a rather strong currency, they should be affordable...

When i look up the prices, they are Like 10-20  more then in USD...

If there are ANY thoughts about streamig he should go for a 3600 + B450 mobo + 16 GB RAM at least. Might have to strech the budget a bit for that though. For gaming only the 3300X would be the next best cheaper option. But i don't feel comfortable buying or recommending a 4-core CPU in 2020.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/6k7Nn7

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

If there are ANY thoughts about streamig he should go for a 3600 + B450 mobo + 16 GB RAM at least. Might have to strech the budget a bit for that though. For gaming only the 3300X would be the next best cheaper option. But i don't feel comfortable buying or recommending a 4-core CPU in 2020.

He can use the NVENC encoder on the 1660.  It's as good or better than most single-PC CPU encoding streams will ever be without the associated performance drop.

However, streaming aside, games are quickly getting more and more multithreaded, and a 3600 would be the better overall choice.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Just now, Stahlmann98 said:

Okay thanks, there are actually bundles with a 3600, a b450 and 16 GB in Amazon for like 320

1 minute ago, Samfisher said:

He can use the NVENC encoder on the 1660.  It's as good or better than most single-PC CPU encoding streams will ever be without the associated performance drop.

Yes, but 4-core CPUs are pretty much EOL even for gaming only use in 2020 imo.

1 minute ago, Oli515 said:

Okay thanks, there are actually bundles with a 3600, a b450 and 16 GB in Amazon for like 320

That's a great deal! Just watch out of you get a crappy mobo or ram in the bundle. I'd rather pay 10-20 € more and pick out the parts myself.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann98 said:

That's a great deal! Just watch out of you get a crappy mobo or ram in the bundle. I'd rather pay 10-20 € more and pick out the parts myself.

Yeah i know that. I already told him to get a B450 or B550 (might bei top expensive tho) and not an A-series board. And then I also recommended not taking the cheapest B450!  Thanks for the input!