Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrdoubtfull

Should I use more liquid metal?

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I disassembled my m17 r3 and applied liquid metal exactly how Linus did in his video but my laptop shuts down due to throttling.. I didn't want to use too much and he says not to..

Should I add more to try and make contact or will it run out and fry my board? Should I just repaste with Kryonaut? 

Ain't nothin' wrong with good ol' thermal paste

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  |  Asus Prime X-570-P  |  32GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GBAsus GTX 1660 Super 6GB  | Creative Sound Blaster Z |  Corsair Force GT 240 SATA SSD Boot  |  Storage Spaces SanDisk 480GB SATA SSD + WD Blue 500GB SATA SSD  |  WD Blue 2TB 7200RPM HDD | Corsair TX650 PSU |  LG 27GL650F-B  |

You don't want to add too much, especially with something conductive, as you can short your board if any squeezes out onto other components. It sound like your just not making full contact. There's usually a bracket of something that applies tension. You can probably just add some washers to keep the screws from bottoming out, allowing you to tighten it down a bit more. I'm not familiar enough with the internals here to say for sure.